Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mom and I are reading the James Herriot series - I just started "All Creatures Great and Small"(#1) and Mom is reading "All Things Bright & Beautiful"(#2).

Katie, I went on Amazon to check it out. Clicked on the book and read the first 30 pages. I fast forward and saw it has over 400 pages of the book to read. Just curious, how many pages are in the real book?

It's 448 pages in the hardback copy. Definitely worth every word. It's a wonderful book.

Mom and I are reading the James Herriot series - I just started "All Creatures Great and Small"(#1) and Mom is reading "All Things Bright & Beautiful"(#2).

I LOVED that show when it was on television. I faithfully even watched the reruns. I think I am just a sucker for animals. Since that is not on anymore, I am now a big fan of: Dr. Pol.

Addie, I don't ever remember it being on TV.

Mom and I also love Dr Pol. We also watch Dr K's Exotic Animal ER, and Dr Oakley, Yukon Vet.

In the late 60's early 70's. My kids were still very small and my youngest daughter loved to see the animals. That is how I got hung on the show.

I am not a fan of the Exotic animal show. I have a strong belief that wild animals whether the be tamed or not belong in the wild. Not caged up as some ones pet.

Last edited:
In the late 60's early 70's. My kids were still very small and my youngest daughter loved to see the animals. That is how I got hung on the show.

I am not a fan of the Exotic animal show. I have a strong belief that wild animals whether the be tamed or not belong in the wild. Not caged up as some ones pet.

Most of the exotics I have seen in the office for Dr K are birds and lizards, turtles, ferrets, iguanas, and rodents. Most of the "wild" animals I see are in sanctuaries that her practice oversees.

Dr Oakley does lots of traveling to farms and state wildlife preserves, places that try to keep wildlife truly wild.

I have a friend that sent me a box full of "Asimov's Science Fiction" (books/mag?). I used to be more into SF some years ago. Finding maybe 1 or 2 stories that appeal to me now. Filler while waiting for my Cooking mag's. It sucks that most of them are only published every other month.

What, if any, cooking mag. do all of you read? (opps, is there a thread for that?) lol

"Driving Miss Norma" sounds like a great choice for my book club.
I bet your group would enjoy it. It was a nice break to read about how many wonderful, generous-spirited people there are in this world. Such a refreshing contrast to the news media's trend to focus on the evils in society, whether real or perceived. It also illustrates how discussing end-of-life choices can affect the quality of one's final time on earth in an uplifting, reasoned way.

I spotted a new book on the library shelves by an author I've read before, Sophie Kinsella. All of her books have been easy reads, and I ended up walking out of the library with three of her books! The first one that I read off my stack was "The Undomestic Goddess". I managed to breeze through it in two short evenings. It was a quick read because I might have read it before? Parts of the story line seemed familiar, others read like I was seeing them for the first time. Either I read it before, or ol' Sophie recycled part of a story line from a different book. :cool: Next up, "I Owe You One". I know I haven't read that one - it's new.

If you are at all interested in government history, stories about members of a First Family, or the Kennedy's, I recommend "Mrs. Kennedy and Me" by Clint Hill. It's a charming, no gossip, sincere story told by the First Lady's secret service agent. Really a sweet book.

If you are at all interested in government history, stories about members of a First Family, or the Kennedy's, I recommend "Mrs. Kennedy and Me" by Clint Hill. It's a charming, no gossip, sincere story told by the First Lady's secret service agent. Really a sweet book.

Being from Massachusetts, you would think I was a Kennedy fan. Just the opposite. If you knew the truth, you knew who was pulling the strings in that family.

But you couldn't help feeling sorry for Mrs. Kennedy while still admiring her. She was one person the old man couldn't push around. Oh, how hard he tried though.

When available from my library, I have been reading Donna Leon's series of crime novels set in Venice, Italy, featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti. There are 23 books in the series and all are stand alone novels.

In selecting a book today, I found that she has also written a cook book..

Amazon description:

Brunetti's Cookbook
In Brunetti’s Cookbook, Leon’s best friend and favorite cook Roberta Pianaro brings to life these fabulous Venetian meals. Eggplant crostini, orrechiette with asparagus, pumpkin ravioli, roasted artichokes, baked branzino, pork ragu with porcini. These are just a few of the over ninety recipes for antipasti, primi, secondi, and dolci.

The recipes are joined by excerpts from the novels, four-color illustrations, and six original essays by Donna Leon on food and life in Venice. Charming, insightful, and full of personality, they are the perfect addition to this “enticing” volume of delicious delights (The New York Times Book Review).

I ordered the book through my Kindle and am looking forward to reading it..

Ross

Last edited:
That sounds like a good one, Ross.

Just yesterday I started "John Saturnall's Feast" by Lawrence Norfolk for my book club this month. It's about an orphan in 15th century England who is taken to the lord's manor to work in the scullery. He works his way up to be the primary cook, using his mother's recipes from the ancient Celts.

Each chapter starts with a recipe. We talked at the last meeting about making a feast from the book's recipes, but they're pretty complex and sometimes use ingredients that are extinct :ermm: We might have to pretend [emoji38]

Here's an excerpt:

"Philip led John across the flagstone floor and pulled aside a thick leather curtain. A deep hum reached John’s ears. A short passage led to some steps and a set of heavy double doors. As he followed Philip, the din got louder. Then the boy heaved on the handle and the door swung open.

“This is the kitchen.”

"A wave of noise broke over John, voices shouting, pots banging, pans clanging, knives and cleavers thudding on blocks. But he hardly heard the din. A great flood of aromas swamped the noise, thick as soup and foaming with flavors: powdery sugars and crystallized fruit, dank slabs of beef and boiling cabbage, sweating onions and steaming beets. Fronts of fresh-baked bread rolled forward, then sweeter cakes. Behind the whiffs of roasting capons and braising bacon came the great smoke-blackened hams that hung in the hearth. Fish was poaching somewhere in a savory liquor at once sweet and tart, its aromas braided in twirling spirals. . . . The sylphium, thought John. A moment later it was lost in the tangle of scents that rose from the other pots, pans and great steaming urns.

"The rich stew of smells and tastes reaching into his memory to haul up dishes and platters. For a moment he was back in the wood. His mother’s voice was reciting the dishes and the spiced wine was settling like a balm in his stomach, banishing his cold and hunger, even his anger. He closed his eyes and breathed in the scents, drawing them deeper and deeper . . ."

Back
Top Bottom