"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #2061
Executive Chef

It seems to me that satisfying customers is a better business plan than snubbing the competition. I expect some B&N customers may become alienated by B&N's policy and depart for Amazon just out of spite.

I wonder whatever happened to positive values. It seems like too often now that people want to go negative, perhaps because they perceive negativity has more benefits than positivity, perhaps a reflection on the world's present negative zeitgeist.

Oh well, I don't buy from B&N anyway. I always buy from Amazon, and just save up my book wants until I've got $25 for free shipping. That's even easier than figuring out where the nearest brick and mortar bookstore is. And cheaper. Amazon has seriously good prices (but mostly when you shop around).

More often than not I buy my books used on Amazon, usually picking sellers with good rep and books with "like new" descriptions, with about a 97% success rate. The very few that didn't satisfy were either easy to return for a full refund or got a reduced charge.

I mostly buy just cookbooks and a few "how to" hobby (art) books. I get all my fiction at the public library. I don't want to buy books I'll read only once. I prefer to buy reference books, like cookbooks, books that I'll refer to time and time again. Julia lives on!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #2062
Executive Chef

Meanwhile I completed J.V. Jones "A Cavern of Black Ice" and "A Fortress of Grey Ice" and I'm waiting for the library to send me the 3rd and 4th ("A Sword from Red Ice" and "Watcher of the Dead") in this Sword of Shadows series. I'm fairly new to reading fantasy and not usually a "sword and sorcerer" fan but the characters and drama in this series are really good IMO.

And now reading "When True Night Falls" by C.S. Friedman (Coldfire trilogy #2 after "Black Sun Rising") yet another sword and sorcery series, very very dark, and I think I'm going to be full up on S&S fantasy when I'm done with this and the other series. (I prefer Jones' series.)

And waiting for "A Game of Thrones" (#1 in the Song of Ice and Fire series) by George R.R. Martin, and I'll be damned surprised if it's anything but more S&S fantasy. I'll be burned out in this sub-genre for sure and probably ready to return to my usual suspense-mystery-thriller fare soon.

I'm waiting for Kim Harrison's "A Perfect Blood" (The Hollows Series) which series is much much lighter! I bet everybody thinks I'm a total fantasy fan but in truth I've only read much fantasy in the last year or so.

I've mentioned my fantasy genre experiences because I'm sure other forum members are fantasy fans, and I'm interested if any have enjoyed any of these series. Or any to recommend. Particularly something lighter. I particularly enjoy fantasy set in our current modern era.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #2063
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Oh well, I don't buy from B&N anyway.
ME TOO. Recently I stopped by the B&N at the mall because I wanted to get a couple of things for my niece who was in hospital... also of course picked up something else and then saw the next book I needed for book club... When I got home, just out of curiosity, I looked up all the same books at Amazon... and I would have spent almost exactly HALF as much as I did in the B&N store.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #2064
Sous Chef

Quote:
I've mentioned my fantasy genre experiences because I'm sure other forum members are fantasy fans, and I'm interested if any have enjoyed any of these series. Or any to recommend. Particularly something lighter. I particularly enjoy fantasy set in our current modern era.
You've probably read The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #2065
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Look up "Urban Fantasy" Neil Gaiman is an excellent choice.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #2066
Senior Cook

I am now onto Princeps Fury by Jim Butcher. The more I read the series the more I like them.

A few time the characters do things that are against their nature(i.e. A great archer missing a routine shot), which really irritates me. But they are few and far between and would not change the outcome of the story.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #2067
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh, Yes. "American Gods" is really good too.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #2068
Chef Extraordinaire

MAUSER Military Rifles of the World, by Robert Ball.
It's available for Kindle, but you'll miss out on all the pictures if you don't have a Fire.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2069
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
ME TOO. Recently I stopped by the B&N at the mall because I wanted to get a couple of things for my niece who was in hospital... also of course picked up something else and then saw the next book I needed for book club... When I got home, just out of curiosity, I looked up all the same books at Amazon... and I would have spent almost exactly HALF as much as I did in the B&N store.
I've compared local bookstore prices and Amazon prices several times and Amazon always worked out better, usually much better. If not I would have bought at the local store and had my book right away. I've always preferred to save money over instant gratification.

I just wait until I have $25 of purchases before ordering so I can get free shipping. I usually get my books on the same day of the following week, and it gives me something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
You've probably read The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher?
I did, recently, and for whatever reason the series just didn't stick with me.

Quote:
Okay thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #2070
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

That's really vague...

Google the genre "Urban Fantasy," Neil Gaiman is a writer of "Urban Fantasy." As Sharon T said, "American Gods" is an excellent choice, as is "Anasazi Boys."