"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #2091
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm up to page 680 of The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel (out of 883 pages).

The Land of the Painted Caves
arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'll be in reader's heaven for a good while.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #2092
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
I want both. I debated for about a month whether to use the $200 I was ready to spend to upgrade my phone or get a Kindle Fire. I am so glad I opted for the latter. Oh my word - that instant click thing is dangerous.
I am writing in reference to your antique Logo. Surprisingly, your chosen Logo is an original painting from Galicia, Spain, ( northwestern Spain ) and represents: The Diverse Agricultural Mosiac of the Iberian Peninisula.

It is also the cover symbology of an author who wrote a book on the diverse " fruits and vegetables " in Spain, giving each a personality and human characteristics ... It is a most heart warming literature account ... I am not aware that it has been translated. However, I shall check if you are interested and provide the authorīs name and title of the book.

Interesting.

Margi Cintrano
__________________

__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #2093
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
I was reading before I went into the first grade. So I had a leg up on the other kids. Book One of the Dick and Jane series was old stuff for me. By the time I reached the fourth grade I was an accomplished reader. The teacher would have each of us read a paragraph until every one had a turn. If the paragraph was short, they got two. One day when it was my turn my paragraph was a long one. I finished my paragraph and the teacher didn't stop me. She gave me a nod to continue. I ended up reading the whole chapter to the class. She set up a program whereby come the last hour on Friday, she would choose the book, and I would read to the class until the end of the hour. She would be sitting at her desk doing paper work. The very first book she chose was My Friend Flicker by Mary O'Hara. The next one was Thunderhead, the sequel. This practice sealed my love of reading.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #2094
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was singled out for speed reading, too...
That's interesting. In my case it was in the mid-sixties in Nevada. I'm just wondering because I've never heard of anyone else being taught speed-reading in elementary school. It really was neat. There was a projector and one line at a time would be put up. Then certain words would be highlighted. Eventually there'd be a paragraph with certain words highlighted so you learned to pick out the entire concept of the paragraph in seconds. Like I said, I don't use the skill often, so am rusty, but I can still, if I want something from a book and don't want to read it completely, scan it paragraph at a time and get what I want from it.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2095
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
That's interesting. In my case it was in the mid-sixties in Nevada. I'm just wondering because I've never heard of anyone else being taught speed-reading in elementary school. It really was neat. There was a projector and one line at a time would be put up. Then certain words would be highlighted. Eventually there'd be a paragraph with certain words highlighted so you learned to pick out the entire concept of the paragraph in seconds. Like I said, I don't use the skill often, so am rusty, but I can still, if I want something from a book and don't want to read it completely, scan it paragraph at a time and get what I want from it.
It was in '66 for me, I remember that exercise well. I can get through most books, non-fiction, by reading only the first and last sentences of a paragraph. I also read by the "shape" of the word, sometimes making it easy for me to miss a misspelling.

In fifth grade, one of our neighbors in Student Housing, was learning how to "test" kids for her education degree. She picked me to test for reading comprehension. She did the age appropriate test first and I blew it out of the water. By the time she reached the College-Age comprehension tests, her instructor was involved and they were still trying to figure out where my comprehension level fell off...they never did find a test for me to establish a reading level. I was always a difficult child.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #2096
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Pretty much the same story here. Unfortunately, with all the moving and shaking, I lost out on math. As a ten year old, I could read way, way out of my league. On the other hand, I was floundering in the dust in math. Still am not great. Other people have pre-nups about who gets what money wise. We have a pre-nup (verbal) that I'll do a lot of crap, but will not balance the check-book!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #2097
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Pretty much the same story here. Unfortunately, with all the moving and shaking, I lost out on math. As a ten year old, I could read way, way out of my league. On the other hand, I was floundering in the dust in math. Still am not great. Other people have pre-nups about who gets what money wise. We have a pre-nup (verbal) that I'll do a lot of crap, but will not balance the check-book!
Yeah, math stinks!

But, I think more has stuck than I realize...even if I can't multiply in my head, I CAN do it on paper, better than most of the folks I work with, who only use calculators. Had someone the other day surprised that I had the answer before she did, me with pencil and paper, she had a calculator.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #2098
Sous Chef
 
SharonT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
I am writing in reference to your antique Logo. Surprisingly, your chosen Logo is an original painting from Galicia, Spain, ( northwestern Spain ) and represents: The Diverse Agricultural Mosiac of the Iberian Peninisula.

It is also the cover symbology of an author who wrote a book on the diverse " fruits and vegetables " in Spain, giving each a personality and human characteristics ... It is a most heart warming literature account ... I am not aware that it has been translated. However, I shall check if you are interested and provide the authorīs name and title of the book.

Interesting.

Margi Cintrano
Yes! Thanks, Margi -- I would be very interested to know of any literary interpretations of the art... which is the work of an Italian artist, actually... Gieuseppe Arcimboldo...16th century... grotesque, fascinating ...
__________________
Sharon
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #2099
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
have read to many lately to list. just finished 7th heaven by james patterson. it is an exciting read. i don't care for the ones he wrote starring alex cross. this one was good.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #2100
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.