"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #2311
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
I have one Greg Iles book on my shelves that I need to pick up again - I couldn't get into first time: "The Devil's Punchbowl" Anybody read that?
I read it about three years ago and I thought it was very good! Good enough to recommend to others.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #2312
Senior Cook

To Kill A Mockingbird

I'm currently reading, for the first time, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1960) by Harper Lee.

I've seen the movie many times and really enjoy it. I decided to give the book a try and it is great reading.

This is the author's only published book.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #2313
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
I'm currently reading, for the first time, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1960) by Harper Lee.

I've seen the movie many times and really enjoy it. I decided to give the book a try and it is great reading.

This is the author's only published book.
Our local PBS stations are currently an "American Masters" and Harper Lee is the subject. It was really interesting. The other one they are running is on Margaret Mitchell. "Gone With The Wind"" She was one rebel by Southern standards. No "Belle of the Ball" for her.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #2314
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
It's shocking to discover that they wrote good books even back in the middle of the last century!

I'm ready to start A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, just got my hands on a copy today.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #2315
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You're welcome
Next science fiction up for me has to be "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. My daughter read that and asks me every day if I've started it yet. She says it's amazing.
I have one Greg Iles book on my shelves that I need to pick up again - I couldn't get into first time: "The Devil's Punchbowl" Anybody read that?
Yes! It was a slow starter, but really picked up. It was a great story!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #2316
Chef Extraordinaire

Has anyone ever read " Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis? They are starting a book club at our group at church & this book was suggested.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #2317
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
You're welcome
Next science fiction up for me has to be "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. My daughter read that and asks me every day if I've started it yet. She says it's amazing.
I did. It's a little of a hard read, but good. He's not all about SF. In God's Footsteps was just a little slow starting, but got moving quicklly and I couldn't put it down. More like SF. Great thought provoking subject.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #2318
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Has anyone ever read " Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis? They are starting a book club at our group at church & this book was suggested.
I've read part of it. It's a quite interesting concept. I was about halfway through when life threw me a curve and I stopped reading for a while as I dealt with some life and death family issues. I never got back to finish it but I enjoyed what I read. It will make for some animated discussions for sure!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #2319
Executive Chef

Lorenza de´Medici´s The Renaissance of Italian Cooking

A culinary book of note, is a treasure and I have been skimming the contents ...

Though it is not a new edition, it is a coffee table treasure with lots of photos.

Nice post.
Margi.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #2320
Master Chef

I went looking for a recipe and pulled out my copy of The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham, I had forgotten what a great little book it is and now I find myself reading it again!