"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #2761
Head Chef
The Demi-Monde (Winter) by Rod Rees

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #2762
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just started the "Pendergast" series, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I finished "Relic" and am now halfway through "Reliquary".

Creepy good.

Love Pendergast! I wish I had them to read the first time again! Lucky you!

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #2763
Chef Extraordinaire
worth more dead--------------ann rule
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #2764
Master Chef
Just finished "Hiss and Hers" by M.C.Beaton, and almost am done with "Never say Pie" by Carol Culver. Next in the chute are "Delusion in Death" bye J.D. Robb, "Invisible Murder" by Lene Kaqaberbol & Agnet Friis (the latest in authors in the Scandinavian translation murder mysteries) and "The 100-year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson, and Cop to Corpse by Peter Lovesey. My "modus operendus" is to start with the lightest book and work up to the darker/heavier ones. Then when I next hit the library, I'm ready for light again. Since Dad and Godmother died over holidays, I simply don't do much serious anyway for the time being. Pure escape is the name of the game! Anyway the Pie and Hiss books were what you'd expect, the "cozy" mysteries; and I always enjoy the food-oriented ones.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #2765
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reading The Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr with Francesca Cesati. I friend of mine read it seven years ago and hasn't smoked since. It's looking good.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #2766
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Yes, I read that years ago. You should check out the 1,000 gift dare. I will send you the info on it. There is a devo for it too.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #2767
Master Chef
Was very lucky this morning to find two of Veronica Black mysteries at the used book store. A Vow Of Obedience and A Vow Of Penance, both of them are a Sister Joan mystery. They take place in and around the Cornwall Convent in England.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2768
Head Chef
Oh boy! Quite a few unread authors to try out. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chime in on this always-interesting thread.

I'm just beginning Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures - she wrote Girl With a Pearl Earring. Good so far.

Finished an M.C. Beaton Edwardian novel written under her real name, Marion Chesney. Already took it back and don't remember the name well enough to try it here.

Also read a collection of William Inge plays: Come Back, Little Sheba (the movie version starred Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth); The Dark at the Top of the Stairs; Picnic (Paul Newman was in the original Broadway cast those many moons ago); and Bus Stop (the movie version starred Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray). Also, The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds - don't remember the playwright's name, it's gone already, too. On tap is Carson McCuller's Member of the Wedding; and Is He Dead? by Mark Twain. I didn't know he wrote plays.

And one more novel, Swimming, by Joanna Hershon.

Interesting how you prioritize them, Claire. I usually have several going at once and the one I pick up for bedtime reading will depend on what kind of day it's been. The Beaton/Chesneys smooth out the bumps of a hard day. I really love the self-checkouts now in use at the library -- no need to be embarrassed if I decide to check out Fifty Shades.
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #2769
Master Chef
I used to read a lot but stopped for a while. I'm always busy.
We just joined the Library and I've started reading Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. Not bad so far. I've read lots of her other books and loved them all, hopefully this one just as good!
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #2770
Master Chef
I just received my Amazon order for the orphan train trilogy by Noonan (seems there are two or three trilogies; I wanted the one that features Galena). This is for my twice weekly reading to a blind friend. I'm hoping it is good, she usually isn't one who's big on fiction. I just finished reading "Cat Chat" to her and left it for her daughter to read when she visits from France this summer. For myself I'm on "Cop to Corpse".

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote