"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #2811
Sous Chef
 
radhuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 958
I am very fond of classics I am rereading 'Hunchback of Notre Dame'
__________________

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #2812
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
I am very fond of classics I am rereading 'Hunchback of Notre Dame'
One of my H.S. must reads. Never sorry I did. From that I went to the school library and must have read every book they had. I started to really enjoy reading in the fourth grade. Faded off somewhat, and H.S. brought me back to the book shelf.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #2813
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
I'm still making my way through the Pendergast novels. I just started book four, "Still Life with Crows". "Cabinet of Curiosities" was excellent, although I have to admit I found the ending just a little unsatisfying.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #2814
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
When I was in Jr. High School, my free period was the first period. Since I had already done my homework, I was bored to death. A teacher offered me the opportunity to work in the library instead. She turned me on to books, and I'm an avid reader still.

It was also a wonderful preparation for office work, filing, checking books in and out, and even book repairs. It taught me at a young age to be organized.

I've been on a David Baldacci binge, with some Jeffrey Deaver and Greg Iles in the mix. Right now, I'm reading Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver, with 4 more David Baldacci books behind it. Heaven!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #2815
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
I am very fond of classics I am rereading 'Hunchback of Notre Dame'
I've no excuse, but I've not read it. Yet. Thank you for the poke.

If I may stray off France for a minute -- did you hear that they have found the remains of Richard III in England? They partially identified it by the curvature of the spine (we term it scoliosis), giving him the 'hunchback.' They also used DNA of a living descendant of the family to confirm the identification.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #2816
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm still making my way through the Pendergast novels. I just started book four, "Still Life with Crows". "Cabinet of Curiosities" was excellent, although I have to admit I found the ending just a little unsatisfying.
They just leave you wanting more. "Still Life" was a wrist breaker for me, I couldn't read it fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
When I was in Jr. High School, my free period was the first period. Since I had already done my homework, I was bored to death. A teacher offered me the opportunity to work in the library instead. She turned me on to books, and I'm an avid reader still.

It was also a wonderful preparation for office work, filing, checking books in and out, and even book repairs. It taught me at a young age to be organized.

I've been on a David Baldacci binge, with some Jeffrey Deaver and Greg Iles in the mix. Right now, I'm reading Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver, with 4 more David Baldacci books behind it. Heaven!
I worked in the Library too, in High School and the Front Office. I just finished Robert Crais' "Suspect"...have a box of tissues handy. I think it's his best, yet. Just started another Baldacci, "Zero Day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I've no excuse, but I've not read it. Yet. Thank you for the poke.

If I may stray off France for a minute -- did you hear that they have found the remains of Richard III in England? They partially identified it by the curvature of the spine (we term it scoliosis), giving him the 'hunchback.' They also used DNA of a living descendant of the family to confirm the identification.
Found Richard III, cool!! Don't forget "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers" all worth the read.

So many books, so little time...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #2817
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
If I may stray off France for a minute -- did you hear that they have found the remains of Richard III in England? They partially identified it by the curvature of the spine (we term it scoliosis), giving him the 'hunchback.' They also used DNA of a living descendant of the family to confirm the identification.
What I find amazing is the uncanny family resemblance of the descendant. Even though they are separated by 500 years, you can see the same gaunt frame and similar facial features.

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #2818
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I have just started reading The Hobbit
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #2819
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #2820
Sous Chef
 
radhuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post


Don't forget "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers" all worth the read.

So many books, so little time...
Both are very favorite to me. I read original English translation of both. I wish someday I will learn French and will able to read the originals.

"So many books, so little time" - very true.
__________________

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.