"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #2811
Sous Chef

I am very fond of classics I am rereading 'Hunchback of Notre Dame'

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #2812
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
One of my H.S. must reads. Never sorry I did. From that I went to the school library and must have read every book they had. I started to really enjoy reading in the fourth grade. Faded off somewhat, and H.S. brought me back to the book shelf.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #2813
Wine Guy

I'm still making my way through the Pendergast novels. I just started book four, "Still Life with Crows". "Cabinet of Curiosities" was excellent, although I have to admit I found the ending just a little unsatisfying.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #2814
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I was in Jr. High School, my free period was the first period. Since I had already done my homework, I was bored to death. A teacher offered me the opportunity to work in the library instead. She turned me on to books, and I'm an avid reader still.

It was also a wonderful preparation for office work, filing, checking books in and out, and even book repairs. It taught me at a young age to be organized.

I've been on a David Baldacci binge, with some Jeffrey Deaver and Greg Iles in the mix. Right now, I'm reading Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver, with 4 more David Baldacci books behind it. Heaven!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #2815
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
I've no excuse, but I've not read it. Yet. Thank you for the poke.

If I may stray off France for a minute -- did you hear that they have found the remains of Richard III in England? They partially identified it by the curvature of the spine (we term it scoliosis), giving him the 'hunchback.' They also used DNA of a living descendant of the family to confirm the identification.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #2816
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm still making my way through the Pendergast novels. I just started book four, "Still Life with Crows". "Cabinet of Curiosities" was excellent, although I have to admit I found the ending just a little unsatisfying.
They just leave you wanting more. "Still Life" was a wrist breaker for me, I couldn't read it fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
When I was in Jr. High School, my free period was the first period. Since I had already done my homework, I was bored to death. A teacher offered me the opportunity to work in the library instead. She turned me on to books, and I'm an avid reader still.

It was also a wonderful preparation for office work, filing, checking books in and out, and even book repairs. It taught me at a young age to be organized.

I've been on a David Baldacci binge, with some Jeffrey Deaver and Greg Iles in the mix. Right now, I'm reading Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver, with 4 more David Baldacci books behind it. Heaven!
I worked in the Library too, in High School and the Front Office. I just finished Robert Crais' "Suspect"...have a box of tissues handy. I think it's his best, yet. Just started another Baldacci, "Zero Day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I've no excuse, but I've not read it. Yet. Thank you for the poke.

If I may stray off France for a minute -- did you hear that they have found the remains of Richard III in England? They partially identified it by the curvature of the spine (we term it scoliosis), giving him the 'hunchback.' They also used DNA of a living descendant of the family to confirm the identification.
Found Richard III, cool!! Don't forget "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers" all worth the read.

So many books, so little time...
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #2817
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
What I find amazing is the uncanny family resemblance of the descendant. Even though they are separated by 500 years, you can see the same gaunt frame and similar facial features.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #2818
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just started reading The Hobbit
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #2819
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #2820
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Don't forget "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers" all worth the read.

So many books, so little time...
Both are very favorite to me. I read original English translation of both. I wish someday I will learn French and will able to read the originals.

"So many books, so little time" - very true.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote