Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LC, some of them are really quite good.....just depends on who the editor is and how much they abridged the book.........was turned on to several authors because of RD condensed books........I'd forgotten about them....thanks for reminding me...actually except for a few coffee table books those are the only books that you will find in my sister-in-law's house and I know that she's never read them.......how can you only own 10 books in your whole lifetime????? The biggest brag that she and her brother made was that at the 4 years of being at Texas A&M neither one of them had checked a book out of the library.........oh, my goodness, that's something to brag about...........don't get me wrong......they are smart but dumb at the same time..... I love them to death, however ..... but when we go their houses I always make sure that I have a stack of books to keep me company..........unless I want to read a boating magazine (nothing wrong with that---no plot, however) I'm on my own......
The one I'm currently reading is from 1997 :rolleyes:. I doubt BIL even read them, lot of the RDCB were still in the package unopened ! He died in 2005.

...was turned on to several authors because of RD condensed books...
Same here! I used to find them at yard sales or used book stores for a quarter. It was an inexpensive way (when I didn't have much money in the first place) to check out a variety of authors.

:)Barbara

Same here! I used to find them at yard sales or used book stores for a quarter. It was an inexpensive way (when I didn't have much money in the first place) to check out a variety of authors.

:)Barbara
we have so many of them, I plan to sell them 5 for a dollar , just to get rid of them all ! If no one buys them then I will give them away.

Last week I read The 19th Wife and The Lace Reader. Both were fascinating in very different ways. Of the former, I laugh to myself. If the LDS church does to it what the RC church did to The DaVinci Code, the author will be a zillionaire before the year is out! For some reason, though, the books I've been reading lately have had to do with mental health problems. Is this a trend or am I just grabbing books off the library shelf (and I'm not very selective) in that order?

I donate the books I read to my library for their annual fund-raising sale. They sort them and put some on their shelves, sell some year 'round, and have a big annual sale that generates beaucoup bucks. I seldom, if ever, re-read a book (and almost any book I re-read it is because I loved it and want to share it with a blind friend).

Drama Queen said:
I've heard some good comments about Lisey's Story. Is it worth reading?

Lisey's Story is a sensitive, tender book. I am amazed at King's ability to write from a woman's perspective. Having said that, it may not be for you (or babetoo or Katie E., maybe others) because it is about grief after losing a husband. May be too hard for some to read if they have experienced it.

I really enjoyed Odd Thomas and all the sequels. Scary, but touching and has some humor as well. Dean Koontz is a wonderful writer. I enjoy his books. :)

Right now I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It's kind of an odd book set in the early 1800's about magic in England making a comeback. Mr. Norrell :sorcerer: is a magician similar to Merlin from the Arthur legends. I'm only about a third of the way through the book (900 some pages long) so it will be a while before I finish it.

Starting a book called " The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog" by Marian Babson, published 2003 so it is not a new book but new to me.

Oh, of all the Koontz books I love the "Odd" series best. I think I've read three of them. Haven't read anything recently.

I like many of Koontz's books, babetoo - like others, I especially love the Odd Thomas series. I just finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Very entertaining if you are a fan, and I am.

I like many of Koontz's books, babetoo - like others, I especially love the Odd Thomas series. I just finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Very entertaining if you are a fan, and I am.

i really enjoyed the odd thomas series. don't care very much for bourdain but that is what makes the world go round.

chuckling over Agatha Christie's "Tell Me Again How You Live" which is an autobiographical account of her expeditions with her archaeologist husband, Max Mallowan........she really has a way with words and not just in murder mysteries......really opens your eyes as to what people had to go thru in the 30's and 40's to travel.........she's a trooper alright........despite all the hardships, she came away with a deep appreciation for the mideast areas that she helped her husband dig in...from what I've read her service in cataloguing specimens was invaluable to her husband's research......she was 10 years older than him and she said he valued her as a relic because the older she got the more he appreciated her.........

Just finished F.N.G. by Richard Bodey. I'm now on Richard Bangs' Adventures with Purpose Dispatches from the Front Lines of Earth.

For the past 6 months or so I've been receiving about 2 books a month from publishers for pre-release review and am a little behind. The review process has cut into my "fun" reading, but I'm enjoying it. I need to write my F.N.G. review this weekend.

I actually have about 6 books (4 of them pre-release) going right now, but don't have a list in front of me. I'll post my F.N.G. review when I finish writing it. Excellent, excellent book written by a Vietnam vet.

Shadow Woman

I'm currently reading a crime fiction paperback called SHADOW WOMAN (1997) by Thomas Perry. This is the third book in his Jane Whitefield series where a woman helps people disappear and start a new life.

:chef:

Back
Top Bottom