Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just wanted to re-visit this by saying I just finished From sea to Shining Sea, by Thom and it will go down in my memory as one of the top favorite books of my life. I'm overwhelmed by the power of this remarkable family in our American history. For me, there was not one boring part in nearly a thousand pages and I hated to have it end.
If historical novels interest you, this one is golden.

Thanks, Kayelle. I have this one marked down.

I'm picking up an EA Poe book next. Time for some classics.

Thanks for the recommendation Kayelle. I just bought the book for my kindle. Normally I try to stick to the "cheapies" for free or less than $5 but I recently bought another book that was recommended highly so thought I would try this one too.

PF and Jabbur, at nearly 1.000 pages I was glad to have it on my Nook Tablet. Although it's an old book, it was not available at our library for some reason.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did !

OK, I wasn't able to get to the library for a few days, so went into my own "stash" of books and read Preaching to the Corpse by Roberta Isleib, Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree (revisiting an old favorite from childhood!), and started Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness.

The books I picked up at the library were:

Telegraph Avenue (Michael Chabon)
San Miguel (T.C. Boyle)
The Lower River (Paul Theroux)
You Might as Well Die (J.J. Murphy)
A Sunless Sea (Anne Perry)
Salvation of a Saint (Keigo Higashino)
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Tarquin Hall)

I usually start with the book that seems the most easy and frivolous, then work up to ones that might be more challenging (this is a 2-3 week progression). I'm not sure about Higashino's book. I read several series that are translations, and some I love, and some I find, well, for lack of a better word, dense. I haven't really enjoyed books translated from Russian or Japanese. Turkish ... a couple of authors I like, but some are rather, well, like the Russian books (let's all go out and commit suicide). The rash of Scandinavian authors I rather like, except for the last book (I don't feel like searching right now for the author's name, but it is, if memory which isn't much serves me, is something like a girl kicking a hornet's nest. I really didn't like it, although I liked the author's previous books. Maybe I'll try it again, after all, it isn't like he's going to write another book!

I went to renew a couple of these books, only to find out my library didn't have me recorded as having any books checked out. Said I'm on my honor. (this isn't the first time, I'm on very good terms with my library).

The Deadly Butter Chicken was fun once I realized there was a glossary at the back.
The Lower River. Not so much. Very Conrad and Greene -ish and depressing.
A Sunless Sea Very much like her other novels. I love them all (there are three series). She does tend to prosthetilize a bit, but the stories are good enough that I can get past it.
You Might as well Die a lot of fun. I've always rather liked the concept of the Algonquin Round Table, and this is a fun fictional version.

The book I am reading now "ripper" by Amy Carol Reeves is brilliant!

It is her debut novel and is a twist of Jack The Ripper...it flows so well and keeps me so interested that I cant wat to get into bed every night to read it :)

I can see more wonderful novel coming from this lady and I intend to read them all....I am very impressed with her story and her writing :)

I am reading M.C. Beaton's - A Highland Christmas. I have enjoyed all of M.C. Beaton's books with Police Constable Hamish Macbeth of Lochdubh, Scotland.

Kylie1969 said:
The book I am reading now "ripper" by Amy Carol Reeves is brilliant!

It is her debut novel and is a twist of Jack The Ripper...it flows so well and keeps me so interested that I cant wat to get into bed every night to read it :)

I can see more wonderful novel coming from this lady and I intend to read them all....I am very impressed with her story and her writing :)

I will have to look that up, Kylie!

Right now I'm on "Dog On It."

Hmm, will have to look up your books too, JoAnn.

I just got the new Kindle Paperwhite, it's a beaut! Sprung for the purple cover.

Last edited:
Just started the first Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. Shrek says I growled at him when he tried to get my attention.

I am reading M.C. Beaton's - A Highland Christmas. I have enjoyed all of M.C. Beaton's books with Police Constable Hamish Macbeth of Lochdubh, Scotland.

To me, the only bad thing about the Hamish Macbeth series is that I've read all the ones my library has. And her Agatha Raisins, too. Now I've begun to ask for Marion Chesney titles (the M. C. in M. C. Beaton). I enjoy her sense of humor.

To me, the only bad thing about the Hamish Macbeth series is that I've read all the ones my library has. And her Agatha Raisins, too. Now I've begun to ask for Marion Chesney titles (the M. C. in M. C. Beaton). I enjoy her sense of humor.

I have also read all of her Agatha Raisin stories too. That is the sad part when you have read all of her books. I feel the same about Hazel Holt and her Mrs. Malory mysteries. I am even starting to read some of her earlier stories again.

Just finished Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer.
Better than I thought it would be, interesting
twist on history.
Starting second Jack Reacher novel now.

I'm working my way through "From Sea to Shining Sea" that was recommended here. It is a wonderful read. I find myself googling things that come up in the book, looking for old maps and other historical references when I"m not reading the book. Great stuff!

I have also read all of her Agatha Raisin stories too. That is the sad part when you have read all of her books. I feel the same about Hazel Holt and her Mrs. Malory mysteries. I am even starting to read some of her earlier stories again.

Thanks for another "new to me" author.

I think I'll see if my library has the Macbeth Highlands Christmas for a repeat reading close to the holiday; it's been several years since I first read it.

I have finished "Ripper" by Amy Carol Reeves...it was brilliant, I loved it!

Love the flow of the writing, the storyline, everything...it is her first novel but will certainly read more of them once she writes them :)

I just finished The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway Series #1) by Elly Griffiths. Excellent mystery read. I am going to start on her second in the series, The Janus Stone tonight. I really enjoyed the Ruth Galloway character and look forward to the rest of the series.

Back
Top Bottom