"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Yeah, but even a genius can be defeated by a Lego!
Daaaa!

Bwaaahahaha.

Fishers Mom has a funny! LOL

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree DQ, just because I smoke does not mean I am suddenly stupid or my IQ just dropped 30 points. I don't think the argument that only stupid people smoke would hold up, and is rather offensive to be honest not to mention stereotypical.
Bless you that you found it so easy to quit, I really wish it was that easy for the rest of us as well. But as my own doctor has put it, she has had more success getting people off crack than cigarettes. She also believes, thru observation and agreement with others in her profession, that todays cigarettes are as addictive if not more so than some illegal drugs today. They are purposely made that way by the cigarette companies.
Maverick, I didn't mean my post to be offensive or insulting. Remember I too smoked for 35 years until I got smart. When I said "stupid" I meant for you to think about spending up to $6.00 per day for cigarettes - that's about $180. per month - so complaining about the cost of gas is ludicrous. Why would anyone continue or start to smoke with that in mind along with the fact that you smell awful, are hopelessly tied to cigarettes, and know that it kills hundreds of thousands of people each year not to mention the array of illnesses that smoking causes. My husband suffered 4 heart attacks in 26 years. The doctors said that if he had been a smoker he would not have survived the first one. I guess I'm wondering why smart people start in the first place, knowing all this. Smoking is no longer cool. It IS possible to stop smoking. Millions have done it. I know I'm going to get flack on this one, but keep in mind, I have been smoke free for 22 years. YOU CAN DO IT.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #43
Head Chef

DQ, I hope you will consider that everyone is different and faces different challenges. Your experience, i.e., "I kicked the habit by deciding to do it and my mindset kept me from ever craving a cigarette." is clearly somewhat unique, and as Buddy points out, the chemical composition of cigarettes may indeed be different than it was 22 years ago. Nobody WANTS to smoke. I don't know about Buddy's IQ (although I have my suspicions that it is off the charts), but I do know that my own is well above normal, and therefore I am generally regarded as "intelligent." Insulting people is really not a productive way to motivate them. I accept that you did not intend to be insulting, but in the interests of maintaining harmony here, it is sometimes a good idea to re-read your post before you click "submit."
Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #44
Cook

I envy people who can convince themselves to stop a bad habit and have success. I am not one of those people. I have an inner voice that may be helpful sometimes, like when it tells me not to speed past that radar trap or not to walk down a dark alley at 3 am, but it also tells me "I can do whatever I want to do, I shouldn't let people push me around, I LIKE to smoke and I work hard for my money, so it's nobody's business what I spend my money on".

The patch was a crutch that helped me ignore my "bad" inner voice and hear my "good" but often hard to hear inner voice.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean View Post
it's nobody's business what I spend my money on.
I agree with this, but only to a point. If and when you get sick because of smoking that will cost money. That will most likely be paid for by insurance. The insurance companies need to get that money back somehow. Guess who pays for that? It is not just the smokers.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #46
Senior Cook

DH quit smoking about 8 years ago but has also started smoking those mini cigars in the last year or so which makes me very nervous ! He only smokes one or two a weekend - sometimes not even - and he insists he won't start smoking again. I told him if he starts again he's sleeping in the garage until he quits again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I quit 16 years ago, my husbands whole family smoked so we quit together. Everyone is still a non smoker except my dumb husband, he started smoking the mini cigars with the notion that it was different because they were mini cigars not cigaretts. I could kill him. Oh yeah and I don't allow him to smoke in the house, in my car, or anywhere around me or my kids. The one thing I know is you have to set your own mind to quitting.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #47
Head Chef

Well, despite all of the discussion, if anyone decides to try quitting, you know you have a huge support group here!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
DramaQueen, your posts in this thread have been self righteous and insulting. Not exactly supportive to those of us who are making an effort to do something difficult here. It would be nice if you would stop it.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #49
Master Chef

i agree- my thread was meant to be supportive.
&to those who've quit, or work towards quitting, GREAT job!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I agree with this, but only to a point. If and when you get sick because of smoking that will cost money. That will most likely be paid for by insurance. The insurance companies need to get that money back somehow. Guess who pays for that? It is not just the smokers.

You mean the insurance companies aren't making a profit?? Sorry, just had to throw that out there... I understand your point, but that is also the nature of insurance and variable premiums. The same argument can be applied to alcoholism as well, not just the alcoholics pay for their health problems.
You can make the same argument about many many things people out there do today, but until all the multi-billion dollar a year profit making insurance companies go broke I just aint gonna worry about them!

Public supported health insurance though, that is a much different beast and a much tougher issue.