Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got in the mail today from Netflix the British sitcom from 1983 called Hallelujah; The Complete Collection. It stars Thora Hird ( from Last Of The summer Wine).

JoAnn, my Steve when he lived in England used to love watching The Last Of The Summer Wine

This morning when I woke up and turned on the TV, the Animal Planet came on. They had "Must Love Cats" playing. Did you know that Japan has an island devoted to cats? Even the houses are built to look like cats. The cats that don't belong to anyone, can't really be called Ferrel cats. They are not wild and are fed tuna fish by all the residents. And unlike wild ones, you can pat anyone of them. They are all well fed. Oddly enough, the island is not overrun with them. Even though they haven't been fixed, they seem to practice their own method of birth control.

There was so much more about cats that are pampered and all sorts of places that cater to the needs of cats. A cat hotel. A cat daycare. Etc. Even a woman who teaches cats to swim. And of course a Cat Whisperer. A great show worth watching again. :angel:

I have been watching several old television shows from the 60's and 70's.

It shocks me now to see Andy Griffith, Perry Mason, Jim Rockford etc... smoking!

I guess times have changed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Watched Hawaii Five-0 tonight. I liked it when it first came out, but it just seems like it's getting stupider and stupider every week. Too many gimmicky episodes and too many blatant product tie-ins. Bah!

I rented from the library two of the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries, (with Diana Rigg ) from BBC that were on PBS. Lots of twist and turns, enjoyed them very much.

...We have windows 7 on the TV computer, and it has a built in media center with DVR ready to go. I put a good sized antenna in the attic and connected it to the existing coax, all 4 TVs get signal from that. We also have rokus in the bedrooms. Setting all of this up, the system paid for itself in 6 months, the computer was brand new, I built it.

I decided on windows media center because of ease of setup, and a built in Netflix app. All controlled with a Logitech remote. We have a wireless keyboard with a track pad for surfing, also Logitech. This setup works well.
Tomorrow, May 1st, we are turning off cable TV, for a total savings of $120 a month!

We went with the same type of setup you describe. I put up a nice outdoor HD antenna the weekend before last, and connected it to 4 tuners that are visible on our wireless network. In addition to my media server setup (from eBay), two of the cable boxes have been replaced with "nettop" computers running Windows 7 and Media Center, plus all of the TVs in the house have Roku boxes. Anyone in the house can watch over-the-air TV, or Roku, or they can pull out the wireless keyboard and just surf the net. I also put up a shared partition on the main server that contains all of our movies, photos, music, etc. As an added bonus, if I want to sit outside on the deck and watch a game, all I have to do is take the laptop with me, since it's also running media center.

I thought I would have a hard time getting my wife to give up her cable, but after setting up the prototype in the family room and showing her everything it could do, she was like "Why are we waiting to do this?"

I feel absolutely liberated! :)

Last edited:
Tomorrow, May 1st, we are turning off cable TV, for a total savings of $120 a month!

We went with the same type of setup you describe. I put up a nice outdoor HD antenna the weekend before last, and connected it to 4 tuners that are visible on our wireless network. In addition to my media server setup (from eBay), two of the cable boxes have been replaced with "nettop" computers running Windows 7 and Media Center, plus all of the TVs in the house have Roku boxes. Anyone in the house can watch over-the-air TV, or Roku, or they can pull out the wireless keyboard and just surf the net. I also put up a shared partition on the main server that contains all of our movies, photos, music, etc. As an added bonus, if I want to sit outside on the deck and watch a game, all I have to do is take the laptop with me, since it's also running media center.

I thought I would have a hard time getting my wife to give up her cable, but after setting up the prototype in the family room and showing her everything it could do, she was like "Why are we waiting to do this?"

That's awesome! Did you get HD home run tuners? I have a dual tuner HD home run on the network and it is a great quality unit, plugged it in over 2 years ago and haven't had to do anything with it since, it just works!

I love the idea of the net top computers, that way you have your recorded TV in every room. That wasn't in my budget at the time. I'm fairly content with roku and plex.

My homemade system works better and is so much more flexible than the cable boxes.

My savings is $105 per month!

shhh, more people might try this. itw illl be the end of cable, but continue "free" (advertised) tv, and it's online counterpart, which we're ready for.

That's awesome! Did you get HD home run tuners? I have a dual tuner HD home run on the network and it is a great quality unit, plugged it in over 2 years ago and haven't had to do anything with it since, it just works!

I love the idea of the net top computers, that way you have your recorded TV in every room. That wasn't in my budget at the time. I'm fairly content with roku and plex.

My homemade system works better and is so much more flexible than the cable boxes.

My savings is $105 per month!
$105... that's great!

I bought a signal amplifier/splitter and two HDHomeRun dual tuner boxes, for a total of four tuners. And I'll probably add another one down the road, just to ensure we're always able to record and watch whatever we like at the same time. You're right - they work great, and it's nice to be able to have TV that can be streamed over the wireless network rather than running cables all over the house.

We don't use Plex, but have a RoksBox media server, which is similar; i.e. it lets you play home video, music, etc. over the Rokus. I also set up a job on our server which pulls down recorded programs from the nettops and puts them on the RoksBox, so they can also be viewed on the Rokus.

Back
Top Bottom