Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how hard it is to figure out how we remember actors from seeing them somewhere else, but not quite being able to place them. Thank goodness for IMDB! :LOL: We knew and remembered Josh Radnor from "How I Met...", but we took double-takes with "Mary Phinney" (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) when we saw her in "Brain Dead" this past summer, and with "Charlotte Jenkins", slapping ourselves when we realized she (Patina Miller) plays the press secretary in "Madame Secretary". Put a period costume on an actor and you confuse us right away! :LOL:

We've been watching "Midsomer Murders" on Netflix. It's a British police procedural/detective show that's been on since 1997. It's sort of like an old fashioned "who done it?". All 120 episodes are on Netflix.

We've been binge watching it. My wife loves these types of shows. It's set in a quaint small community in the English countryside.

midsomer-murders.jpg

We've been watching "Midsomer Murders" on Netflix. It's a British police procedural/detective show that's been on since 1997. It's sort of like an old fashioned "who done it?". All 120 episodes are on Netflix.

We've been binge watching it. My wife loves these types of shows. It's set in a quaint small community in the English countryside.

midsomer-murders.jpg
I'm glad I don't live there. It must have the highest murder death-rate of anywhere in the British Isles! It makes New York look positively crime-less :)

I tend to go for old films - I love black and white! "It's a Wonderful Life" was on television yesterday.

Some of the American "cop" shows are good too, especially those in the NCIS family and CSI New York. I've been wallowing in the repeats of M*A*S*H lately but it's now in it's third rotation so I'm looking elsewhere.

On UK television I'm watching re-runs of "Hetty Wainthrop Investigates". Hetty is a retired Yorkshire woman who falls into detective work by accident and with her side-kick, a young chap she catches shop-lifting in the first episode, and her somewhat put-upon husband, solves crimes and mysteries that the police can't manage.

"British History's Biggest Fibs", a new series, started last night on BBC4 presented by an historian, Lucy Worsley, talking about how the winners adjust history to their own advantage. Last night's was about the Wars of the Roses. Fascinating stuff. Lucy Worsley presents very well. You'll never find history boring again!

Last edited:
It's probably part of your job to watch it, but I'm not going to contribute to the ratings for any inauguration events. I hope they get the lowest ratings ever.

Totally agree. Watched TV Land until early evening. Then watched some shows I had saved on the DVR. Gunsmoke is a pretty good show.
For me its "THIS" inauguration that I am boycotting.
Actually, I am boycotting this presidency until its over.

midsomer-murders.jpg

Spike's wife also loved these type series that appeared on PBS. So much so that Spiked bought the whole Midsomer boxed series. Well, she is gone now, Spike has seen the whole series more than once, so he gave the whole series to Pirate. We keep saying we are going to sit down and watch the whole set.

The problem is that we have a relative that works at Boston Public Library and all we have to do is to let him know what movie we would like to watch. Or we can order it on line and he picks it up for us the next day if it is available. So the Midsomer set sits in the cabinet patiently waiting.

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't live there. It must have the highest murder death-rate of anywhere in the British Isles! It makes New York look positively crime-less :)

I tend to go for old films - I love black and white! "It's a Wonderful Life" was on television yesterday.

Some of the American "cop" shows are good too, especially those in the NCIS family and CSI New York. I've been wallowing in the repeats of M*A*S*H lately but it's now in it's third rotation so I'm looking elsewhere.

On UK television I'm watching re-runs of "Hetty Wainthrop Investigates". Hetty is a retired Yorkshire woman who falls into detective work by accident and with her side-kick, a young chap she catches shop-lifting in the first episode, and her somewhat put-upon husband, solves crimes and mysteries that the police can't manage.

"British History's Biggest Fibs", a new series, started last night on BBC4 presented by an historian, Lucy Worsley, talking about how the winners adjust history to their own advantage. Last night's was about the Wars of the Roses. Fascinating stuff. Lucy Worsley presents very well. You'll never find history boring again!

I saw Hetty Wainthrop here in the U.S. She is a hoot. The whole family loved her in her previous series. Whose name escapes me at the moment. (Senior moment alas!)

I have to face it. This family loves shows that come to us from England. Thank you PBS.

Not TV, but my brother had a whole bunch of shows saved on an external drive so I fired that up and hooked up the external monitor to the computer. I asked Mom if she wanted to go to bed or watch TV. TV she said. So we watched a segment of Wallender. She stayed awake, Dad fell asleep. Got Mercy Street on the drive--maybe we will watch that tomorrow night. Although she has dementia, having her watch TV and have a bowl of popcorn is a positive experience for all of us. Wonder if there is a show called "The Good Daughter" on that external drive....

Last edited:
The new and I think final season on Black Sails is about to start on Starz.

Arrr, time to make popcorn from $1 corn cobs...

The Path is back for its second season and all I can think of is, "That's one weird show." If it gets any weirder, I'm going to quit watching it.

But No Offence and Tiny House Nation are back too. So I'm happy.

We cut history of Russian revolution on Smithsonian channel (did not even know I had one). Hate to say it, reminded me of what is going on now here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom