Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Orville is terrible. It's just a really bad rip off of Star Trek. Like they collected all of the scripts that fans sent in to the producers of Star Trek that were rejected, and made a show with them.

I gave it two chances. Not liking it at all and very disappointed with "The Orville".

I actually like the new Trek, for the most part. I'm six episodes into it, though. There are some aspects I don't care for, such as dropping the F-bomb. Not only is it unnecessary, but it goes against the grain of the Star Trek franchise and I don't think Gene Roddenberry would've approved. It certainly has a darker feel than its predecessors, too.

I don't mind "The Orville," although I have to totally turn my brain off to watch it. The most obvious problem is that it can't decide if it wants to be a comedy or a drama. Maybe it's a "dramedy?"

It has some funny moments. For example, there is one episode where the ship's navigator is trying to teach an artificial lifeform the nuances of practical jokes, and so the robot, in an effort to fit in, anesthetizes his shipmate in his sleep and amputates his leg. But not to worry - this is the future and doctors can grow new limbs. So for the rest of the episode you see the guy's leg growing back in various stages. That one actually made me laugh out loud.

I was really hoping the whole series would be more campy, but some episodes are trying to be serious, and those are usually the ones that come off looking like a cheap imitation of Star Trek, rather than a clever parody.

Last edited:
If "The Orville" seems oddly Star Trek like, it's also worth noting that several Trek alumni have directed episodes of the show, including Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris on Star Trek: Voyager), Jonathan Frakes (Commander Ryker on Next Generation), and Brannon Braga (executive producer for Next Generation, Voyager, and Enterprise. He also dated Jeri Ryan, aka Seven-of-Nine).

That's interesting, Steve. I didn't know that about Start Trek alum.

Although, it's more than oddly like Star Trek because it is a flat out copy of the exploratory spaceship thing, with aliens as both shipmates and enemies.

Is anyone else watching "Me, Myself, and I"? Himself watched it the first week and said that I HAD to see this new show. It is absolutely delightful! No interruptive laugh track even though there are genuine things to laugh about. If it's there, we don't notice it. It's a sweet show, we love it...and so it is probably doomed to be cut at the end of the season. :(

Watched one episode and just heard it was cancelled. :ermm:

Star Trek using such unbelievable technologies that it’s just too much. Spoars ? Also Steve is right, using F word where it’s not necessary is wrong as definitely not Star Trek like at all.
Orville in my opinion is a parody on Star Trek. And dromedy is a good description for it. You can’t watch it if you are expecting a serious show. It’s just goofy.

Last edited:
That's interesting, Steve. I didn't know that about Start Trek alum.

Although, it's more than oddly like Star Trek because it is a flat out copy of the exploratory spaceship thing, with aliens as both shipmates and enemies.

There's lots of money to be spent in the TV biZ. "Let's re-do Star Trek, regardless of the lame spin offs previously".

All that's needed is enough to get to the next commercial break.

Last edited:
Cheryl, I recorded the first 4 episodes (of Ten Days In The Valley) from my DirectTV on demand, and we watched the first episode tonight. Both of us are hooked already! :huh:

AAAARGH!!! Kay...I was wondering what happened to this show and looked it up - it's on hiatus for some reason and resumes on Sat, December 16th. UGH, I hate when they do that!! :angry::LOL:

AAAARGH!!! Kay...I was wondering what happened to this show and looked it up - it's on hiatus for some reason and resumes on Sat, December 16th. UGH, I hate when they do that!! :angry::LOL:

I saw that too Cheryl..:mad: Actually, all the shows I love are taking weeks off for a break. Grrr, what's up with that? They just got started again after a summer long break and they need another vacation?? Sheesh, :wacko: Before you know it they will be getting down to 10 episodes for the entire year like the UK does.

I saw that too Cheryl..:mad: Actually, all the shows I love are taking weeks off for a break. Grrr, what's up with that? They just got started again after a summer long break and they need another vacation?? Sheesh, :wacko: Before you know it they will be getting down to 10 episodes for the entire year like the UK does.

Yep...I long for the days back when every new series started at the same time, ran for the same amount of episodes, and quit at the same time. It's so hard to keep up with them now.

TV as we know it is about to go away. Well, in the next 10 to 15 years, maybe sooner. It's all going into the cloud, available as a streaming input to a computer,

Cable produced type TV shows will eventually replace ABC, NBC, CBS type prime time network shows.

The three major networks have been putting out umpteen forgetable shows.

Last edited:
I heard about a series Stephen King thinks is very good. I agree. Its name is "Borgen," and it's in Danish with English subtitles. Available as DVDs from Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom