Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter and SIL record a lot of stuff....
Last night we binge watched a BBC series called Land Girls.. I enjoyed that but then, I enjoy most all British offerings..

Ross

It was a rare night that I ever missed the Tonight Show, but I don't remember the one you're talking about Caslon.
Bob Hope never did a thing for me, but Johnny would crack me up nearly every night.
He was a true comedian nobody will ever replace on late night TV and I miss him still.
There's just no good reason to stay up late anymore.
July 10, 1972 I was watching while eating peaches and ice cream when I went into labor. I waited till the show was over to wake up my husband and leave for the hospital.
Talk about a fan!!

Last edited:
OhMyGOSH!
Alex Trebek is off the air for a bit after having
surgery for subdural hematoma after a fall.
I've watch Jeopardy! for ever and ever!!

I heard that too Kgirl, but he'll be fine and is expected to be back to work in mid Jan. My gosh I've always thought he was handsome and was a bit surprised to hear he's 77 years old. "Old Guys Rule" :D
We never miss Jeopardy, for me it's always a lesson in humility but SC could easily win the big bucks.:ermm:

We don't watch Jeopardy, but I do know someone who was on the show! John was a five-time winner back when you got booted off the show if you won five in a row. I always wonder how he would have done if there was no limit to days back then.

My daughter and SIL record a lot of stuff....
Last night we binge watched a BBC series called Land Girls.. I enjoyed that but then, I enjoy most all British offerings..

Ross
Have you seen "Waiting for God"? MadCook mentioned it one day. Now I'm not a big fan of British shows, but I do enjoy Waiting for God ever so much. I think it's because I secretly harbor a desire to be like "Diana Trent". :LOL:

We don't watch Jeopardy, but I do know someone who was on the show! John was a five-time winner back when you got booted off the show if you won five in a row. I always wonder how he would have done if there was no limit to days back then.

Have you seen "Waiting for God"? MadCook mentioned it one day. Now I'm not a big fan of British shows, but I do enjoy Waiting for God ever so much. I think it's because I secretly harbor a desire to be like "Diana Trent". :LOL:

Love all the British/Australian TV shows!

Fawlty Towers
As time goes by
Dr Blake Mysteries
Miss Fisher
Father Brown
Keeping up appearances
Last Tango in Halifax
The Great British Baking Show

I know there's more, but I just can't think of them right now...

We have a newish channel called Talking Pictures that shows old movies. Many of them are black & white including a John Wayne picture from 1930 which was on a few weeks ago. Last night they were running "Stage Door Canteen" (1943), a sort of flag waver about a forces canteen set up to entertain servicemen on leave bringing in "satrs" to sperform or otherwise help. It was very odd to see George Raft, player of violent thugs, in a dish-washing scene! Most of them are hilarious for all the wrong reasons when viewed from a 21st century point but the other afternoon they showed "Enchantnent", starring David Niven and Teresa Wright. One of my favourites - a good old-fashioned "weepy". I had a good wallow.

I just love to sit and watch old black and white movies. Heaven help anyone who talks to me when it is on. Commercial time only is for talking.

Love all the British/Australian TV shows!

Fawlty Towers
As time goes by
Dr Blake Mysteries
Miss Fisher
Father Brown
Keeping up appearances
Last Tango in Halifax
The Great British Baking Show

I know there's more, but I just can't think of them right now...

And you forgot "Doc Martin". I am with you for watching the very same ones. If I see that it is made in England or Australia or even Canada, I will sit and watch it. And don't talk to me during any of those shows. I even have Spike hooked on them.

We have a newish channel called Talking Pictures that shows old movies. Many of them are black & white including a John Wayne picture from 1930 which was on a few weeks ago.

I too have a cable channel like that, only it's affiliated with the local college here. Last night they ran a 1938 Russian made movie called, I forget. But it was a Russian made flim about a Russian prince in the 1400's who staved off an attack by German Teutonic knights and Tartars (subtitles). Prince Alexander Nevsky was his name. That 1938 Russian film got 4 stars out of 4. I found it freaky weird neat to watch.

Hitler et al no doubtidly spat at the screen if they viewed it back in 1938.

Last edited:
Has anyone else been watching the second season of "The Crown" on Netflix? I have a new respect and sympathy for Queen Elizabeth after watching the episode we watched last night (episode #6 "Vergangenheit"). What a shocking revelation...wow.

Both seasons have been well worth watching.
We just started watching it this year, so we're still on the first season. Really enjoying it. It fills the void left by the ending of Downton Abbey ;)

I too have a cable channel like that, only it's affiliated with the local college here. Last night they ran a 1938 Russian made movie called, I forget. But it was a Russian made flim about a Russian prince in the 1400's who staved off an attack by German Teutonic knights and Tartars (subtitles). Prince Alexander Nevsky was his name. That 1938 Russian film got 4 stars out of 4. I found it freaky weird neat to watch.

Hitler et al no doubtidly spat at the screen if they viewed it back in 1938.

Movie was called Aleksandr Nevsky. Powerful film. One of the the great inspirational patriotic Russian films.

Movie was called Aleksandr Nevsky. Powerful film. One of the the great inspirational patriotic Russian films.

Germany and Japan could never have won WWII. Both would have been over manned eventually. Russia is vast and had 10 times the population of WWII Nazi Germany. The USA had materials from sea to shining sea. Case in point?

Last edited:
Hitler most certainly could have won WWII, at least all across Europe. If he had just gone straight for Moscow instead of Stalingrad and the southern oil fields, the eastern front would have been won before Russian winter set in. And if he had not slept through it, plus allowed Rommel to bring his tanks up to guard both Calais and Normandy, we might not have been able to establish a beachhead in France.

The Japanese never really stood a chance, though. We cracked their secret codes even before Pearl Harbor, so we knew what to do at the Coral Sea and Midway.

I admire what Russia is and that area of the world. It includes many ethnic peoples.
During WWII, such a diverse courageous mass group of people that was.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of Americans don't know how many millions of Russians gave their lives to defeat the Nazis, far more than any other country. They even fought tanks on horseback. There's some good documentaries out now about it.

Message from the generals to headquarters.

Russia and that part of the world isn't totally civilized yet and there are millions more than we have.

Last edited:
Nazis would never won the war in Russia. No matter where they went first. People were still fighting at the border towns even when Germans were by the Moscow.
Napoleon is a good example. He was in Moscow and had to retreat from there.
Sadly 27 millions died before it was overwhelming

When you think of it, the US in WWII was actually fighting a battle on two fronts and was one of the few nations that ever did that and won.

I'm watching the final season of CSI. Someone on Icefilms put up all the episodes (except the finale, of course :glare:), but I haven't been able to view Seasons 14 or 15 until I got my new computer. So I'm almost to the end.

After that, it feel like time to do a Breaking Bad rewatch again.

I just finished watching the The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel show which was free this weekend only through Amazon prime. 8 shows for season 1 which is around 7 hours and 30 minutes with credits.

I could see why this was worth the two Golden Globe wins as it had some quality acting. Good jokes. Good guest acting. Solid Costume design.

This show is about a housewife in the 1950s who decides to become a stand-up comic.

The show does leave us with a whole lot of stuff left unanswered for season 2 which was nice.

If you got the time watch the first episode. It was worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom