Little bird, little lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear twilight zone music playing.

Sunday (4/02) I got a call from my boys while I was at the gym. A small finch had hit the sliding glass door. I asked if it was okay, and they said he was eating. I returned home 45 min later, to find this little thing hopping around, eating like a pig. I walked up to him (I guess we all do this, Alix) and spoke to him. He looked at me and peeped. He began to follow me around, hopping. My younger boy came outside, and laid on the ground, chatting with the bird.
After another hour of watching him, it was getting dark. I tried to get him to fly away, but he was only able to go about 1' into the air, and about 20" at a time. 2 days earlier, the resident hawk had completely plucked one of the mockingbirds and devoured it next door. I wasn't going to let this little nestling to the same fate. There was also a terrible storm on the way. So, my husband reminds me we have the old hamster cage in the garage (do we ALL have one of these, Alix?) and we put him in. (I'm glad we'd raised many parakeets, so we knew what to do)

I figured we'd keep him a day or so till he was better. The bump on his head from the window had taken out some feathers, but the wound began healing the next day. With each day of horrific rain, hail and wind (the neighbor's 15' willow tree came down with the force of the storm!) the birdie kept safe and sound in our kitchen window seat area. Finally, last Thursday, he was able to bask in the sun (in his cage) outside. It was then that I realized his secondary flight feathers had been perfectly clipped. Someone had let this baby go. I couldn't release him, but I really was done having birds!

Today little "fuzzy" is doing fine. His wound is nearly gone, and I'm thinking feathers will soon cover his little bald head. He peeps one little note, and occasionally two. He is a happy little thing.

(((Alix)) I read your post in the wee hours of this morning and it has stayed with me all day.This is the kind of random kindness thing people forget- this earth is not just made of two footed creatures -there's a whole lot of other living beings that need love and care- even in their final hours-.I am so glad I have met you - you are truly an inspiration and what a great Mom those girls of yours have- life lessons are so much more important and profound.Lots of love and energy to you, Vicki

forgot this:

img_256167_0_e4a3b21a7199d68cbbeea64b6e88deb9.jpg

Jkath, coincidence? I think not. We really must have been twins or something. Glad your birdie is faring better than my little one did.

Vicky, thanks for such sweet words. I can't tell you how touched I was. Check your karma.

Awww Jkath what a sweety. I can't believe someone let that poor little thing go. See the animal kingdom needs more people like us. Did I ever mention the time I rescued a baby hawk out of my dad's fireplace and again from the cat ??

My Aunt and Uncle lived in the house in front of ours..I loved to go visit and watch my very talented cousin do oil paints. They had two golden Finches that she dearly loved.
I was so pleased one day when our new neighbors put this funny looking long sock that looked like the mesh fabric you see in teeshirts or mens bathing suits.I ask about it and found out it was filled with thistle seed. the next day there were about 6 or 8 finches hanging on ever witch way eating. I now have three of those in my tree out front.

:) :) :)

I think that everyone needs to have the experience of trying to help under these circumstances. Yes, most often you are not going to succeed when you mess with mother nature. But I think it is a lesson kids need to learn; that it is important to do the right thing, even when you aren't successful in the long run. That compassion is important. As stupid as it may sound to some of you, children do need to try their best with their best intentions and still fail. That is what happens when they get out in the real world, and that sort of "failure" is not a negative on their part, but a positive, a learning experience. On the "mother nature" aspect of it, it is a way to learn that when you mess with mother nature, you pay the price eventually. We've taken dogs under our wings for so many years -- millenia, actually -- that they are not a part of nature any more. When you choose to make a wild creature into a pet, you are forever destroying it for life in the wild, therefore, it becomes your responsibility. Some times you have to learn it the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom