"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #31
Hospitality Queen
Originally Posted by Alix
Jkath, coincidence? I think not. We really must have been twins or something.
I think so.

(((hugs to your girls for me)))

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #32
DC Grandma
My Aunt and Uncle lived in the house in front of ours..I loved to go visit and watch my very talented cousin do oil paints. They had two golden Finches that she dearly loved.
I was so pleased one day when our new neighbors put this funny looking long sock that looked like the mesh fabric you see in teeshirts or mens bathing suits.I ask about it and found out it was filled with thistle seed. the next day there were about 6 or 8 finches hanging on ever witch way eating. I now have three of those in my tree out front.

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #33
Master Chef
I think that everyone needs to have the experience of trying to help under these circumstances. Yes, most often you are not going to succeed when you mess with mother nature. But I think it is a lesson kids need to learn; that it is important to do the right thing, even when you aren't successful in the long run. That compassion is important. As stupid as it may sound to some of you, children do need to try their best with their best intentions and still fail. That is what happens when they get out in the real world, and that sort of "failure" is not a negative on their part, but a positive, a learning experience. On the "mother nature" aspect of it, it is a way to learn that when you mess with mother nature, you pay the price eventually. We've taken dogs under our wings for so many years -- millenia, actually -- that they are not a part of nature any more. When you choose to make a wild creature into a pet, you are forever destroying it for life in the wild, therefore, it becomes your responsibility. Some times you have to learn it the hard way.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #34
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I am so touched by this story,thank you for sharing it :)

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote