"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Wine Guy
LOL, yeah, it kind of looks like something that might come out of the ice cream machine. Meat sorbet!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Disgusting, isn't it?

Non-food food ~ no wonder so many people are sick with preventable diseases.
Not really. If you were to investigate each one of those ingredients, you'd find a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they are in each of those menu items.

Some of them are due to the logistics of getting the chicken or fish from the live animal to your mouth without harm to you. I know, it's popular to think that all chemicals in food are bad. That's not true. Some chemicals are added to protect you. Some are added to keep the food more fresh tasting, and give it a longer shelf life.

Its a case of not being able to have it both ways. Mickey D can't provide the amount of food in so many different places in a timely, safe manner unless they do add most of that stuff. After it arrives, they still have to prepare it safely and get it into a bag for you to take with you.

Take Dimethylpolysiloxane for example. It's used as an ingredient to prevent the cooking oil from foaming over and causing injuries to the staff which cooks the chicken and fish. Without it, much less could be added to each fryer, causing a major slowdown in producing the sandwiches, resulting in Long, long lines at the counter while everyone waits for thier meal to be cooked. This doesn't work in the fast food industry. People want their sandwich NOW, and I mean NOW!!!! or they will go to your competitor to eat. Without Dimethylpolysiloxane, there would be more injuries from foaming 350F oil and massive legal actions in multimillion dollar lawsuits. That also would be calculated into your counter price. How about a $10 chicken sandwich instead of what it costs now? How about if a bucket of chicken at KFC cost $40 everywhere?

The logistics of getting live animals from where they are raised to your mouth to chew are huge and complicated, especially when you multiply the problems by "Billions Served".

I've heard people say "They didn't add preservatives and because they got to skip a step in manufacturing, I had to pay more than the stuff they put preservatives into!

Well, a lesser shelf life means a completely different set of logistics and much more waste. Someone has to pay the price and Mickey D isn't going to pay you to be more healthy. You cost them more, they pass that cost along to you.

Confirmed Sushi Addict
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
In Quebec McDonald's sells sandwiches, not burgers. They aren't allowed to call them burgers.

They also sell "shakes", not milkshakes and I think it's just plain "cones" as well.

I haven't eaten there since the early '80s (and not often then) and haven't even bought coffee from them in over 20 years.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef
The article linked in the OP justifies my reluctance to purchase fast food, and supermarket hamburger meat too. And Steve's reply regarding all the chemicals is further justification. Yeah you need all that stuff to serve mass quantities of food, but how about just cooking your own food and you'll have maybe 6 or 7 ingredients? And none of them requiring a chemistry degree to understand...

I prefer to buy inexpensive steaks and then just trim them myself and give them a quick run in my food processor. At least I know there aren't any cow lips or cow noses in my hamburgers!

Closed Thread