"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Sous Chef

My dinner was supposed to be.....and now it is.... because.....

I just wondered after tonight, I had already defrosted the trouts(all four of them), then DH sends me an sms saying he had a big late lunch meeting and will only have a sandwich for dinner. So my dinner was supposed to be grilled trout with parsley, mashed potatoes and veggies and tartar sauce, then I had to change to was fillet of perch and oven chips for the kids then a sandwich for me later I am not mad, just wondering if this could make a thread that will keep going. Does it happen to you?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I was planning to make pork chops marsala last night.

We had an appointment with a contractor to give us an estimate for some remodeling. He arrived late and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. Too late to start cooking so I had soup and my SO had a sandwich.

The chops will be done tonight.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
What a Great Topic! (should be made Sticky I reckon) that kinda thing happens to me Sooooo often it aint funny!

but I think it`s a sign of a Good cook, the ability to adapt at a moments notice and Still serve up good food regardless.

happily 2nights food is right on track, but I have contingency plans always, and if something odd happened, No Sweat! ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

What he said ^^^ LOL.
Tonight was supposed to be Calico Beans and Cowboy Stew but the Calico Beans turned out to be meal enough for all of us with leftovers.
I think the challenge of a sudden last minute change is kinda fun and forces creativity and ingenuity.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Gosh happens all the time. Maybe we just don't feel like cooking, either in general or what we had planned. Or something comes up that forces a change in plans. Or had to work late and came home and the last thing I wanted was to keep on my feet for another hour or two preparing some food - just forage and relax or go straight to bed.

Sometimes we have the ingredients but decide to go in a different direction than that planned.

Since there is only the two of us it is easy to adapt.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Happens all the time here also. Most of what I make can be held over until the next day. Usually I'm the one that doe's not feel like eating dinner since I ate enough lunch but I will have a salad or some fruit and eat dinner for lunch the next day. You would think I would be skinny but not so but I'm sure it keeps me from gaining more pounds. Iv'e gotten to a point I eat just when I'm hungry and it's not a the normal times most people eat. Lunch is usually around 2:00 PM so usually Dinner is not as attractive.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Nope. That never happens to me. I don't fish anymore and can't remember the last time I had trout or perch in the fridge. Those fish are so common here I just will not buy them because of that.
Don't understand why you just didn't grill the trout anyway.... If substituting perch for trout was a changeup.. I am jealous! Are you kidding me?! The trout was a no go so you cooked perch instead?! Did I say I am jealous

But I always change things up, and I'm single. I will take out one thing and decide i want something else and there's nobody here to stop me
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Nope. That never happens to me. I don't fish anymore and can't remember the last time I had trout or perch in the fridge. Those fish are so common here I just will not buy them because of that.
Don't understand why you just didn't grill the trout anyway.... If substituting perch for trout was a changeup.. I am jealous! Are you kidding me?! The trout was a no go so you cooked perch instead?! Did I say I am jealous

But I always change things up, and I'm single. I will take out one thing and decide i want something else and there's nobody here to stop me
So that would be kinda like buying earth worms at a bait shop instead of taking the time to dig em up in your back yard?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Sometimes I will start supper and realize that I am missing an ingredient, so I will change it.

Thank goodness ground beef is so versatile. I remember one time I started cooking it, planning to have one meal. Part of the way through cooking it, I realized I didn't want what I had planned, so I changed it to something else. Another time I wasn't sure if I wanted spaghetti or hamburger stroganoff. The ground beef was already cooking, and I still couldn't make up my mind. I knew that if I asked James which one he wanted, he would say that either one would be fine. So what I said was, "Choose red or white."

Barbara
Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm a bit like Pacanis as I live alone but I do change my mind AFTER I have bought something that won't keep/freeze or defrosted something and then I end up either losing it cos I can't be bothered cooking two meals or eating something I no longer fancy. I try not to plan too much cos of my whimsy attitude. Pretty much the only other times are when I have my mum over and she stays longer than intended or ends up here for the night at short notice which can throw spanners into works, esp if we have gone out to eat for lunch. But such is life!!!