"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks everyone. He is doing great. The swelling is completely gone and aside from a very small red dot where the stinger went in you would never know he got stung. He is his happy active self. I don't call him Tank for nothing

I am sure he was covered in food. The only time he is not is the few seconds after he is bathed. That had nothing to do with the sting though. He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on

We will certainly be keeping a close eye on him (as we always do). At his next Dr.'s apt we will ask about the not having an allergic reaction until the second sting thing.
seriously that's his nickname, Tank??? my husband's family dog was named Tank.....and his name described him perfectly.............that dog had more personality...............not saying he was an exceptional dog but he had more personality............even today we pay my brother-in-law to do "Tank" impersonations..........he's so good and we just roll on the floor because they are dead on............Poor Tank would be gratified to know that one family member could imitate him to a key..........

Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
You know, I think he was trying to tell you he wanted you to buy him a drum set.
We already bought him a drum. Would you believe it takes batteries I bet even pick up sticks take batteries now.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
seriously that's his nickname, Tank???
Yep that is one of his many nicknames. My wife has a million for him, but one of them was poodle. I did not like her calling my little man poodle so I called him tank. That is because when he crawls he is crawls over anything in his way. He does not crawl around anything. He only crawls over just like a tank would do.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #34
Master Chef

ok, GB, you're a man....I won't say how cute your son's nickname is.........but that is so wonderful..........and you have a very valid reason....it's just that I've never known anyone named Tank outside of this dog............my DH's family dog was a character.........you had to open the door at least 100 degrees or he wouldn't go out.......his tail had finger indentations left by my mother-in-law after years of pulling him inside.....you never put on a pair of tennis shoes in front of him unless you planned on taking him for a walk........we still see some of his offspring in the local neighborhood we think............and finally but not least, he'd wait and hold the big one until in front of my father in law...........dad would come off the couch storming from being asphixiated by the colone..........and no, that's the word I want to use........cologne is something that smells nice...........:) I think that Tank had the last laugh..........that was some dog
Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Tank... I like it... gotta come up with something better than lego girl!
I'm glad he's ok, stings scare me, I've never seen a reaction and don't want to.
I was stung by a wasp last year and freaked because I hadn't been stung since I was 5 and had no idea if I'm allergic....
Guess what.... I'm ok! (physically anyway) ;)
Old 07-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
Everymom

GB, if all he had was a red welt, you should be ok. The stuff about the second sting being worse is true. Your body needs one sting to start producing the histamines for that particular reaction, thats why the second one would be worse, because now your body knows what to do. However, its not all that likely he is going to be allergic or you would have noticed more reaction right off the top.

Madeleine got swarmed by wasps one year and got stung in 9 spots. She is still panicky about seeing any flying bug.

The best tip I learned for wasp stings is to put the cut root end of an onion on it right away. The enzyme in the milky liquid takes the pain and redness right out. Works like a charm every time we've tried it.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #37
Master Chef

meat tenderizer works, too. papaya enzimes fix ouchies.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Tank... I like it... gotta come up with something better than lego girl!
I'm glad he's ok, stings scare me, I've never seen a reaction and don't want to.
I was stung by a wasp last year and freaked because I hadn't been stung since I was 5 and had no idea if I'm allergic....
Guess what.... I'm ok! (physically anyway) ;)
nope, she's forever Legogirl................you have made her infamous, SQ!!!!face it..........a star at age 3 and she's not uttered one word here...........what does that tell us???????hmmmm........
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #39
Cook

Send a message via AIM to momerlyn
If we're going into nicknames, I can talk about yours, when you were little... but I will behave because I need to be on good terms with you so you will bring those angels out to visit me and Unca G.

Anyway, here's the facts on the allergy. Yes, it's true. Your mom is right. Call the newspapers!

You cannot be allergic to something until you have been exposed to it. Therefore, the first sting was Osh's exposure. (I will claim to be an authority because I worked for an allergist for all of six months. But I actually learned this before that.)

You were correct that you would have seen any serious reactions within a few minutes.

I hope this is the worst scare you ever get from your kids!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

Something tells me this is just the start with this little one. Hi to you and Uncle G from us