"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #2101
Master Chef

well, it's nice that you actually cared mm.........I know that I was the ignorant recipient of some really bad cuts until a friend came with me and showed me what to look for...........they actually quivered when she came along because they knew they were going to have to let go of authentic nice cuts of meat........she was brutal but effective...unfortunately for them I was a quick learner and passed the instructions on.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #2102
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My latest vent (rant really) is from last night. After dinner we went to WalMart. As we parked we noticed this guy getting ready to leave. He put his stuff in his fancy "hey everyone look at me" car (with doors that open upward like wings). Then he pushed his cart a step or two away from his car and then just pushed his cart in the general direction of the large cart "corral" that was only a couple spaces from his car. It went into the middle of the lane, and that is where he left it. James and I were a lane away but we went over there and James put the cart away (by this time someone was trying to drive through there and the cart was in his way, so I'm sure he appreciated it). The idiot who had pushed the cart out there looked over at us just as we were doing that, so I pointed at the cart and mouthed (he couldn't hear me, so no sense yelling!), "You left it there!" I'm sure he couldn't care less, but I just wanted to let him know that his lack of manners had not gone unnoticed.

Barbara

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #2103
Master Chef

oh, my, one of my favorite rants, Barbara, esp. coupled with the insensitive clods who park in the handicapped spaces and don't display the requisite sign and look like they could run a marathon.........my poor mother in law was crippled from osteoarthritis and because all of the parking spaces would be gone had to deposit her in front of the store and hunt a space further away
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 AM   #2104
Chef Extraordinaire

i like to leave my cart behind monster sized suvs with handicap plates that park in handicapped spots while the spritely driver (and no passenger) hops out to go shopping.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 AM   #2105
Master Chef

Any time I catch someone leaving a cart in the lot without putting it in the coral, I just grab it and move it behind their car as I walk toward the store, never missing a beat.
Once I was too late and the guy pulled out, so I just pushed it in front of his truck and left it there. He got out and asked what I was doing. I just said "annoying, isn't it?", and walked away.
I wonder if he got the hint?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #2106
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i like to leave my cart behind monster sized suvs that park in handicapped spots while the spritely driver (and no passenger) hops out to go shopping.
Ohh, I love to do that as well, especially since my 3 year old loves the half cart/half racing car ones that can be hard to maneuver. A new thing I have been doing is taking pictures front and back that clearly show the non-handicapped plates, the vehicle clearly parked in the handicapped spot, and no handicap tags hanging from the rear view mirror or stickers anywhere on the vehicle. If possible I get pictures of the person jumping out and strolling into the store as well.
I don't know about other places, but here if you print them and turn them into the police, they will mail a copy of them along with a ticket to the person. I have no idea if the judge ever upholds them, but them just having to take a day off to go to court is worth it to me.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #2107
Master Chef

Great suggestions y'all.........what I'd like to do is have a peel off sticker the size of the license plate with a brain sitting in a wheelchair and adhere it over their license plate advertising "Mentally Handicapped" I know that there is a money making venture in this somewhere and the proceeds could be donated to the truly handicapped------my mother-in-law truly suffered
Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #2108
Sous Chef

I have to admit that during pregnancy I have been guilty of leaving my cart between parking places. I do take care to make sure it's not in anyone's way, and I only do it if there isn't a cart corral anywhere nearby (which is nearly everywhere at our local Wal-Mart--they really need to invest in more). I had the choice of hauling my toddler back to the car when I can hardly walk without him, or leaving him in the car while I made the trek across the parking lot to put my cart in the corral. In that case I figured if Wal-Mart didn't want their carts scattered all over the lot they need to add a few more corrals.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #2109
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I have a "handicapped" hang-tag we use on our vehicles. Both of us need it. His malady is obvious since he uses a cane...and needs it. Mine is less obvious and it would appear that I don't suffer from any handicap. But, believe me, it's there. We have a friend who has been harassed when she's parked in a handicapped space, with the required tag, because she looks perfectly healthy. In fact, she has a serious breathing problem that is aggravated by having to walk even small distances outside. Handicapped doesn't always mean wheelchair-bound, etc.

As for the grocery cart thing, yes, I've been guilty of not putting my cart into its corral. However, whenever I fail to do that I'm always careful to put the cart so that it doesn't interfere with anyone being able to park their car or to get out of the car. Sometimes walking a few extra steps is just too painful for me.

Conversely, on especially painful days, I'm grateful to find an errant cart near my car so I can use it for support on my way into the store.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #2110
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If there is nowhere nearby to put carts, I will leave mine in an out of the way place if there is already a cart there. Otherwise I just bring it back into the store. What bugged me about the idiot at WalMart the other night is that he just pushed it out of his way, and into everyone else's way. I'll bet if someone else did that and nicked his car he'd have them in court!

Barbara