"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #3011
Chef Extraordinaire

well i finally had to call the police on my loud neighbors. it has been on going, loud music in yard, loud voices from alcohol.

i have put up with it for six months. i think they are running a lawn business out of the house(illegal) . it seems to be the workers from that, getting paid, whatever , who knows.

it lasted til i got fed up last night at ten thirty . i called and they said they would send someone. about fifteen minutes the party shut down.

i would have gone over long before this to ask them to quiet down, but they don't speak english. plus not eager to confront eight or so drunken men.

police said any time, no matter the time, if it disturbs me it is illegal. makes me feel like a crabby old lady. but i do think i waited long enough.

thanks for the vent.

babe

Old 07-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #3012
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
well i finally had to call the police on my loud neighbors. it has been on going, loud music in yard, loud voices from alcohol.

i have put up with it for six months. i think they are running a lawn business out of the house(illegal) . it seems to be the workers from that, getting paid, whatever , who knows.

it lasted til i got fed up last night at ten thirty . i called and they said they would send someone. about fifteen minutes the party shut down.

i would have gone over long before this to ask them to quiet down, but they don't speak english. plus not eager to confront eight or so drunken men.

police said any time, no matter the time, if it disturbs me it is illegal. makes me feel like a crabby old lady. but i do think i waited long enough.

thanks for the vent.

babe
babetoo, you're not a crabby old lady, you have a right to peace and quiet . It was a good idea to call the police and not go to the neighbors in person.
LC

Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #3013
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
babetoo, you're not a crabby old lady, you have a right to peace and quiet . It was a good idea to call the police and not go to the neighbors in person.
LC

thanks lady, that is what i thought.

babe
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #3014
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

thanks for the vent.

babe
That's not crabby!! I would have called a long time ago
I'm glad you did and if it goes again, just pick up the phone. DO NOT go over there by any means!! You don't need to be putting yourself in danger over noise. Just call the police and let them handle the idiots.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #3015
Certified Cake Maniac

Babe, I think if that is being crabby you better do it more often

Seriously, you have every right to peace and quiet and you were very correct in not going over there yourself. That's what police are for.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #3016
Head Chef

Their rights ended when they infringed upon yours! You did the right thing!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #3017
Chef Extraordinaire

babe, i'm sure there are regulations in your town for "quiet times".

they are most often from 10pm to 6 or 8am, depending on the town. unfortunately, the neighbors are allowed to be fairly loud until 10 (possibly earlier in your community), but then by law they have to shut it down. even during the "loud" hours, it can't be unreasonable.
the best thing you can do is befriend the cops, maybe make them a plate of cupcakes as a thank you for helping you out. the next time these guys get loud when you want a little quiet, no matter what the time, the cops will be your volume control.

i, unfortunately, have the opposite problem. my new, non-english speaking [polish neighbors are running a kitchen cabinet business out of their garage, and there's no way he got zoning variances for it. when i get home after a midnight shift, i have to listen to mitre saws and nail guns all day long while i'm trying to get a little sleep.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #3018
Master Chef

As tough as Texas is------when it comes to knocking on doors the police have their hands tied.......if the teens decide not to answer the door in reference to noise, disorderly conduct, etc., and most of the most disorderly (our darling neighbors for one) know this they don't answer the door. Nothing the police can do about it unless they get a special court-ordered document which will support that drugs are on the premises or guns, etc., very difficult to get and from a judge........I know because my son is now a cop and so is our next door neighbor. Fortunately, our little hellions across the street have grown up. Still the young man remains at home and for all sakes and appearances seems to be dabbling in something illegal.......he's unemployed though he did try to get into the military service and was turned down and cars are coming and going all the time esp. on the weekends.......so who knows......babetoo, move over, Crabby 2 is joining you!! :)
Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #3019
Certified Cake Maniac

Car vent round 3!!!

So guess what. The manager has our own car, which is parked in our primary spot (right out in front of our townhouse) towed at 11:00 last night because it is in non-working condition. She knows this because DH mentioned our car had broken down and that is why we borrowed our old car back....the one she had towed from our other spot by mistake and had to fork over the $86.50 out of her own pocket. What she doesn't know is this car is in fact in running condition. It does need some more work and we have NOT been doing it on site. We have been driving it to our friends and back again so it DOES run. So, she will now have to fork over another 86.50 and I have written a very long letter to the strata board outlining the whole thing and how she is singling us out personally.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #3020
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Car vent round 3!!!

So guess what. The manager has our own car, which is parked in our primary spot (right out in front of our townhouse) towed at 11:00 last night because it is in non-working condition. She knows this because DH mentioned our car had broken down and that is why we borrowed our old car back....the one she had towed from our other spot by mistake and had to fork over the $86.50 out of her own pocket. What she doesn't know is this car is in fact in running condition. It does need some more work and we have NOT been doing it on site. We have been driving it to our friends and back again so it DOES run. So, she will now have to fork over another 86.50 and I have written a very long letter to the strata board outlining the whole thing and how she is singling us out personally.

What a pain for you, but oh oh oh, how funny that she didn't learn the first time!!