"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 02:11 AM   #811
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with buckytom, itk. Any repairmen (or women) not willing to go out on Christmas will be unreachable anyway.

Barbara

Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #812
Executive Chef

Appropriate

Could anything make you more depressed than not having the furnace working and it be the biggest holiday of the year! I guess I'll call repairman as last nite was rough. Couldn't sleep anyway worrrying that the weather is calling for rain and sleet. Thanks for all your interest. I know reading this particular column sure makes me count my blessings.

Going to church last night with so many others made me feel encouraged that many have not forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. Something always special about going to church at midnight.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #813
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Could anything make you more depressed than not having the furnace working and it be the biggest holiday of the year! I guess I'll call repairman as last nite was rough. Couldn't sleep anyway worrrying that the weather is calling for rain and sleet. Thanks for all your interest. I know reading this particular column sure makes me count my blessings.

Going to church last night with so many others made me feel encouraged that many have not forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. Something always special about going to church at midnight.
Lets us know if you get it fixed, please do have a Merry Christmas !
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #814
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
ITK, try to stay warm! I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #815
Head Chef

It is very sad that you can't get a repairman to come out and fix whatever is wrong on Christmas eve or on Christmas Day.

In The Kitchen I am sorry about your Furnace.

Jill and Jolie
Old 12-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #816
Executive Chef

I Am Warm

Thanks to all of you I took your advice and called someone for the furnace. Warned us the service call would be time and half and if he didn't have part to repair would have to wait till tomorrow. Took your advice and asked him to come over. Lo and behold, it was thermostat of all things. The furnace stopped last month and that bill cost us over $400. So what else is new? Got to pay it! I am fixing something to eat for us and can do so without all the clothes on. Going to bed knowing there is no heat in house is scary feeling. When our electric was out for more than 5 days due to storms, they warned us not to turn over on for heat. Carbon monixide from oven can build up. I never worried about these things before.

I do thank all of you and I mean it. I am hoping you all have the best Christmas and that your house and hearts are all warm. You are all a special gift to me. I do appreciate your time, understanding and shraing your suggestions.

My floors are even getting warm. I sure hope this isn't a monthly thing. Got to think positive.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #817
Executive Chef

I went out to put our pork tenderloin for xmas dinner on the grill and it was covered with mold! Blech! dh scraped it and sprayed it all off. Now we have it on to burn away whatever was left behind. I think I'll give it 10 minutes before putting the food on. I hope that does it. I don't want us all to be sick tomorrow!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #818
Master Chef

ITK; I'm glad you got toasty in your home. And Corazon; I hope your pork was ok and all is well with you and your family.

My gripe is simple. My OS is old. I'm still running Windows 98. The problem is that I just got an external DVD burner for Christmas, a very nice one that will burn double-sided DVD's up to 8.5 Gig. But my OS doesn't support it. I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 2000 at the very least, but probably will upgrade to Windows XP Pro.

The problem with this is that Windows 98 is DOS based, which allows me to run the interface program for communicating with the Phone Systems at work. And when I'm on call (every other week for the whole week, 24/7), when I get called, usually I can fix the problems remotely from my home PC. I won't be able to do that when I upgrade as the interface program requires a DOS-based OS and from Windows 2000 up, the OS is no longer DOS based.

I've been told that I can set up my hard drive in partitions and operate a dual boot, one using Windows 98, and the other using the upgraded OS. If I can do that (and I have no clue how to do it), then I'll be able to use my new DVD burner and still run my interface program to the Phone Systems.

If there are any guru's out there who know how to partition a hard drive and run a dual boot, pm me with a procedure. I'll trade you straight accross, the procedure that I use for your choice of one of my cookbooks. I offer four titles. Crewsk tells me she likes hers.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #819
Executive Chef

I came home today to find rotten bananas and little oranges that had been thrown at our house. Dumb neighbor kids. Do I accuse them and ask to have it cleaned up? They're gonna be moving in a few days. Last week, it was a dead duck.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #820
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Do their parents know they are doing these things? You might want to say something to them, unless you think it will just lead to something more harmful than fruit or ducks (that's awful). Thank goodness they are moving.

Barbara