Paint Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedBedHead

Assistant Cook
I am currently in the middle of redecorating our half bathroom. We are putting tile down, ripping out the vanity and putting in a pedastal sink. Lots of work so I want it to look right in the end.
The only problem I have is picking out a paint color. I DO NOT want to do a paint technique on the walls but the house was built in 1925 and has some mild imperfections. Should I go with a light color or dark color to mask this? I don't want to totally hide it but I do want to tone them down a bit. The tile is neutral (hints of biege, tan).

You might try painting the walls in a neutral color and then sponging another slightly darker tone of the same color over it. As an example, paint the walls a pale salmon and sponge or feather a slight metallic gold or copper over. You'll get color using this technique and also be able to camouflage any imperfections.

Based on the age of your house, the walls are probably plaster and would have some cracking, which would be hidden by painting in this manner.

Even painting stripes might mask these imperfections. A friend did this in his half bath with very imperfect walls.

You want to mark the stripes (they were wide and small) first using a level. But when he actually went to paint them he did it by hand, nothing was masked off. It left the stripes more free-form and beautiful. Between each color (he only used two colors) he then used a gold metallic paint to separate these colors (now making it three colors). It was beautiful! It also fit his house which is as old as yours.

I'd say the larger stripe was about 6"- 8", the smaller stripe about 3"-4", then the metallic stripe was just a paint brush not more than 1/2" - 3/4" wide.

A darker color will probably hide things better, but I personally like lighter colors in bathrooms.

We redid out upstairs bathroom not too long ago. We also went with a beige/tan tile. We have not yet picked what color we are doing the walls though, so I am watching this thread with great interest.

I noticed you said you 'do not' want to do a technique, but I am unclear if you are willing to, for a better effect.

If you are willing, then yes, I absolutely agree that striping is the best way to go. I've done it in the living room and in my bedroom. The effect is stunning and most people simply cannot believe that it is hand painted. If the tiles are neutral, and only cover from the floor up halfway, I'd to the top half in an eggshell and ocean to light blue.

What colour is the pedestal?

A lighter color will make the room look bigger. Draw attention away from the imperfections with a border along the ceiling or at chair rail height.

Flat finish white paint is the best choice for hiding irregularities. The other trick is to avoid light sources that illuminate the wall at a shallow angle.

So many different suggestions....I get the feeling we all secretly want to redecorate our own bathrooms:ROFLMAO:...I know I do. I just don't know how to make a room that gives new meaning to the term 'water closet' get any bigger!

Great suggestions guys. Thank you so much. I think that I am going to paint the bottom half of the wall (which looks tiled but isn't) an olive green. Those walls are in great shape. It goes up about 5 feet and has molding. Over the molding (where the paint is peeling now) I'm thinking a light light light beige and I'll probably include the ceiling in that. High gloss white trim should finish the project beautifully. I'll post pics when we're done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom