Pandemic or any Nat'l Emergency - how will you prepare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it will affect the water supply as in contaminating it; but - if there are quarantines, power outages, etc., it could very well affect delivery of water.

filtered water from fridge?

Have new Kenmore fridge w/ built-in water filter. Wonder would this be sufficient? It does a great job on the chlorine.:ermm:

Chlorine will actually dissapate over time, or can be boiled off. However, more and more municipal water supplies are using chloramine, which doesn't dissapate or boil off. It can be dropped out with sulfites, though...

Brewers always want to know this kind of stuff so they can tinker with their brewing water...

John

I know I always "tinker" with my brew water... that's part of the fun of brewing...
This pandemic thing sounds bad- maybe I ought to double-up my brew schedule... can not take chances with the beer supply.

:) The Brita Water Filter Pitchers work great they filter out all kinds of stuff.
If you do decide to do a bit of stock piling dont forget medications and pet food.It would be good to have a few games like Monopoly,cards and so on to pass the time if you didn't have electricity.I dont know why you would lose your electric.Remember 1999 what was it called? KY2? Remember the panic that caused?

Electricity is often lossed in rural areas due to falling tree branches, some drunk who crashes the car into a telephone pole with sufficient force to knock it down, squirrels shorting themselves accross line transformers (blows up the transformer or pops a main circuit breaker), wire breakage from the weight of ice on the lines, and one in the U.S., falling chaff from military jet-fighters during training exercises.. There was even an occasion where a huge solar flair causesd blackouts over a tremendous area of the U.S.

So there are a few reasons why electricity can go away, not to mention terroist attacks on power stations.

I would personall like to see smaller, and less centralized power stations. This would make major blackouts a thing of the past, as down equipment would cause only local problems specific to small locations.

But that's just me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Putting away a bit of stuff for a hard time is never a bad idea.

But if the bird flu hit, and everyone hunkered down, there would be none of the usual services that most of us, except those who fend for themselves in the woods, rely upon.

The people who maintain our electic service, that requires constant attention, might stay at home.

And then our hospitals might not be able to function.

Of course, even if someone was at the gas station, the pumps require electric energy to get the gas to your car. So forget about any ambulances, or even your ability to move.

No police or other services.

Fear, nothing else, will lead to our society's collapse.

If we are going to go on, even in the face of a pandemic , we just have to carry on.

It will come down to the survival of the fittest, Auntdot.

My husband and I have talked about this for years. Fortunately, we live in an area where we could live off the land if we had to. The city people are the ones who would suffer the worst. :(

:) Frankly!I would not worry too much until it actually hits the USA until then relax, think about what you might do for a plan. And have a few things to keep you comfortable and happy. Im curious as to how this flu is going to hit America.Another thing to consider is the media hype as to how bad this thing really is.

I have the perfect setup. Mak-90 and 1000 rounds of full metal jacket ammo as well as a Mossberg Persuader and 200 rounds of 000 Buck. If I want water or food, I can get it. ;)

The hype is overwrought. Right now it's not nearly as bad as they're making it out to sound. I'll get worried sometime in my next life.

A country boy can survive. ;)

I'm not a big apocolypse person, but lived in high hurricane threat areas for goodly portions of my life (Hawaii and Florida).

I always have a fully stocked pantry and my freezer is fully stocked. Always is, always has been. You could live out of my house for easily a month. (Must be that injection of LDS I got as a kid!).

When I did live in Hawaii and Florida, I'd stockpile plastic bottles, fill with water, and freeze so that my freezers were completely full of ice. The longest I've had to go without power was the better part of a week. As for water, only a couple of days. Having that ice in the freezer keeps your food frozen much longer, and the source of water is a comfort. If your freezer isn't full and you get the notice that the big one is going to hit, then fill the freezer with as much newspaper as you can. It is a great insulator.

Usually you know when all hades is about to break out. When the warning comes, scrub all your tubs and sinks with a clorine-based product. When it goes from Watch to Warning, fill them all with water. I hope you all know that you can do what I call a "gravity flush" of your toilet with a bucket of water. Even if you don't use this water for drinking, having a way to flush your toilet, wash your face, etc, is really nice.

Having all that extra food is NOT a waste. Periodically I scour the pantry, fill up a couple of bags, and hit the local food bank. I think I keep so much food on hand because I simply come from a large-ish family and am used to being able to feed a crowd at the drop of a hat. When something has been sitting on the shelf too long, it just goes to the food bank (we're talking non-perishables here).

When the electricity goes, you get together with your neighbors and decide who has what in their freezer that needs to be eaten tout suite. Then you fire up the barbie and have a neighborhood nosh. Charcoal, lighter, and gas grills are literally lifesavers in emergencies. But remember that life is a little easier if you, as the old song goes, "get by with a little help of your friends."

PLEASE don't forget to keep a radio that works on batteries and an extra set or two of the batteries. Being at home alone in the dark without any news is pretty creepy.

Please have at least one telephone in your house that is old fashioned -- a cord, plugged into the wall, no electrical outlet. Sometimes these phones won't ring if someone calls you, but you can call out on them in an emergency.

When it is all over with, take any meat from the freezer that has thawed and make chili, soup, stew, then re-freeze (this is assuming it is still cold and safe to eat).

Claire said:
I'm not a big apocolypse person, but...

Good stuff Claire:)
Karma to you.

Dried foods such as whole grains (rice, wheat, barley, oats, etc.), legumes (peas, beans, dry-roasted peanuts), and cereals hold up very well, especially when they are kept in air-tight, light-tight, moisture proof containers. Honey is another food that keeps extremely well. But with all of these, you need water storage as well. Used two liter-sized pop bottles are great for water storage, as are used plastic milk bottles.

Another important aspect of food storage is knowing how to use the foods you have stored to make edible, even tasty meals. So with that in mind, it's also a good idea to have some dried herbs and spices around, and salt. Food can get pretty bland without them. And keep them in moisture-proof, light-tight containers as well.

That's all from me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Echoing GW, Claire - good stuff!

Great tips - and along with the dried beans, spices, etc. - if you can purchase a little Coleman stove, or something similar, it's a great thing to have on hand. Having cooked cans of Campbell's soup on the grill after Hugo, I can attest to the convenience of a small propane stove. Or - if you have a generator, one of those little tabletop burners used on buffet tables.

part of my prepared "survival" packs and gear include: a water purifier pump and canteens; a backpackers stove and fuel bottle, with enough spare fuel to last a long time; a small backpacker's and full first aid kits; water proof matches and a flint; thermal blankets; candles and a lantern; 2 small radios including a hand cranked one; several flash lights; extra batteries; a pack saw and a full axe; a survival knife (think rambo); compasses; a 4 person mess kit with utensils; lots o' fishing gear; a large bottle of frank's red hot; several sleeping bags and backpackers air matresses; a few bundles of different sized ropes and bungee cords; a sewing kit; a couple of bandanas (for first aid, washcloth, balaclava/cravat); some garbage bags, a roll of aluminum foil, and a canoe in the backyard.
all of this can be loaded up in the truck and ready to go in about a half hour.

Living in the great north, we have plenty of wood to burn, also a generator, large amounts of bottled water and other water.Plenty of food. I think if the bird flu hits the great USA we will maybe be required to stay indoors and away from people for the most a month.

Very good advice, Claire.
Don't forget to have 30 days worth of your prescription meds on hand, as well.
Also have a first aid kit, and things like aspirin, kaopectate, anti-nausea meds, sanitary needs and petfood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom