"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
We have noticed big regional differences in how people react to a greeting or even just a smile or nod.
I've noticed this too!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

hufe differences in regions.

When I was living in NE PA everyone for the most part was nice and freindly

completely different here on LI (ny)

Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Master Chef

It's definitely regional. L.A., for instance, is not a very friendly town.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I remember when i was down in Virginia. I was sitting on a bench ( maybe in colonial Williamsburg, not sure) , when all of a sudden a guy from Georgia sat down next to me, and started talking to me as if I were his best friend. I must say it totally caught me off guard. He asked many questions about New York. I was very polie, and kept up in the conversation ( being the gentleman that I am), but I must admit, i thought it was kinda strange just to sit down next to a stranger and stat shooting the breeze. When riding my bike, kayaking and u run across another biker/ kayaker, there is always that " bond" and courteous head nod, or good morning, as if you have some kind of bond because you have the same hobby.
You can be standing in the grocery store line here and end up with a new friend!!! Down here there are no "strangers" - just best friends you haven't met yet! Moving from up near the Canadian border to the south was a real eye opener - and "heart" opener. Nope, there are no strangers in the south. You know who to talk to and who not to though - eyes tell everything I need to know!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
When riding my bike, kayaking and u run across another biker/ kayaker, there is always that " bond" and courteous head nod, or good morning
shortly before the call for an ambulance?

barbara, you and james should have experienced the subway in nyc. people packed like lemmings, so tight that you can't even move a candy from one side of your mouth to the other, and everyone just stares into space as if no one else is there.

in jersey, a common expression is that you should only be interested in what concerns you, or else you might get a "who you lookin' at, huh? you lookin' at me?"

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
You can be standing in the grocery store line here and end up with a new friend!!! Down here there are no "strangers" - just best friends you haven't met yet! Moving from up near the Canadian border to the south was a real eye opener - and "heart" opener. Nope, there are no strangers in the south. You know who to talk to and who not to though - eyes tell everything I need to know!!!
It is the same in the midwest. I'm used to people in South and North Carolina being friendly and talking, but many (at least in the small towns) are still very reserved. No reservations at all in the midwest. Everyone was so friendly and helpful that it surprised me (even though I expected that friendliness). You know, of course, that James is from the midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...barbara, you and james should have experienced the subway in nyc. people packed like lemmings, so tight that you can't even move a candy from one side of your mouth to the other, and everyone just stares into space as if no one else is there...
That's exactly what I meant when I said that if you want to be alone, move to a huge city. I got the feeling, in NYC, that we could have stood on our heads, picking our noses, and no one would have even noticed! We did find a few friendly people there, and some who reluctantly responded (I think we surprised them!). But most of the people we saw out on the streets were very good at the "if I don't make eye contact, they'll leave me alone" thing!

Barbara
Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
Master Chef

I've lived all over the country, and believe that Midwesterners are the nicest, most outgoing. They are So likely to start up a conversation with a stranger out of the blue. I do that myself (no, not a Midwesterner by birth, just curious) and in many parts of the country I'm likely to be rebuffed. Not around here. People are so kind here.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

People are pretty friendly here in southern Illinois, but the closer you get to the cities (St. Louis, Chicago), the less friendly they are.
I've been around the country quite a bit, and I've found the friendliest people seem to be in North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. They tend to be a little suspicious of Yankees in the deep south, although once they hear my drawl, and discover that not everyone from Illinois comes from Chicago, they get over it pretty fast.

My friendly ways almost got me in trouble once, though. I was walking down the street in Denton, Texas, and smiled and nodded at a man who was coming toward me. He proceeded, then, to turn around a follow me, which gave me quite a scare. Fortunately, I got to the 7-11 where I was headed, and he did not follow me in.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yep, that's how it is here in Texas, too. I've been out running errands and ended up hearing the life story of 3 different complete strangers! (Sometimes, people tell me way more than I want to know.) That's why Southerners seem to do things slower - because it takes longer when you chat with everyone you run into.