"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1651
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

Better yet do not iron his uniforms. ;-)
Agree 100%! I refused to iron DH's Navy uniforms. I wasn't the one who joined up!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #1652
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no. Aww, Taxy, feel better soon! Hope you can find the right flapper. {{{hugs}}}

When you get it, let Stirling change it!
Thanks Dawg.

I would feel silly asking Stirling to do it. It's got to be the simplest plumbing job ever. I just slip the old flapper off two little posts; slip the new one in place; and attach the chain to the handle lever. Takes no effort at all with the kind of flapper I have. The one I bought would have been a little more complicated - it needs to be slipped on over the overflow tube.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #1653
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Danged wrist is hurting more. The new topical anti-inflammatory only works for about 2 hours and only does a half arsed job at that. And I bought the wrong kind of flapper for my toilet. Not a happy camper.
Sorry about the wrist. I hate when a doctor practices conservative medicine. I am in pain, dang it! Fix it!!

Okay, what is a flapper? It sounds like a dance you do around your toilet.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1654
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sorry about the wrist. I hate when a doctor practices conservative medicine. I am in pain, dang it! Fix it!!

Okay, what is a flapper? It sounds like a dance you do around your toilet.
The flapper is that piece of rubber that the chain pulls up to let the water out of the tank.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #1655
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The flapper is that piece of rubber that the chain pulls up to let the water out of the tank.
I haven't seen one of those toilets in years. They are now illegal here in the U.S. Folks will go to Canada and buy your kind of toilet. Then they get stopped at the border (even before 9/11) and it would be confiscated. The new ones use less water for one flush, but sometimes it can take two or more flushes to get everything gone. There is just not enough water in the tank to do the job. So where is the water saved there? You can't even go to a junk yard here and buy one. Spike pulled one out of a house that was being renovated. He had to take a sledge hammer to it for the rubbish company to pick it up. It is considered illegal contraband and must be destroyed. Who would have thought a toilet would become a tool of the enemy.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #1656
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I haven't seen one of those toilets in years. They are now illegal here in the U.S. Folks will go to Canada and buy your kind of toilet. Then they get stopped at the border (even before 9/11) and it would be confiscated. The new ones use less water for one flush, but sometimes it can take two or more flushes to get everything gone. There is just not enough water in the tank to do the job. So where is the water saved there? You can't even go to a junk yard here and buy one. Spike pulled one out of a house that was being renovated. He had to take a sledge hammer to it for the rubbish company to pick it up. It is considered illegal contraband and must be destroyed. Who would have thought a toilet would become a tool of the enemy.
I guess I didn't explain it very well. It's a standard part on most toilets, not just Canadian toilets. This is what the one I should have bought looks like:

That's from Home Depot in the US. Korky Plus 2 in. Toilet Tank Flapper-2001CM at The Home Depot
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #1657
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Dawg.

I would feel silly asking Stirling to do it. It's got to be the simplest plumbing job ever. I just slip the old flapper off two little posts; slip the new one in place; and attach the chain to the handle lever. Takes no effort at all with the kind of flapper I have. The one I bought would have been a little more complicated - it needs to be slipped on over the overflow tube.
Sorry, Taxy, I didn't mean you couldn't do it, just meant Stirling has the good arm. I do all the plumbing jobs here too! But you're the one with the owie!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #1658
Master Chef

Quote:
Every time I read "flapper" my brain thinks of
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #1659
Master Chef

Quote:
.....The new ones use less water for one flush, but sometimes it can take two or more flushes to get everything gone. There is just not enough water in the tank to do the job. So where is the water saved there?.....
Learned this trick from a hotel maintenance man (don't ask why ): If you want to make sure the waste moves along properly, hold the handle down when you flush. That uses both the water in the bowl AND the water in the tank, in effect giving you an old-fashioned, 3.2 gallon flush. Let go when you finish hearing the "glug". It works.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1660
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sorry, Taxy, I didn't mean you couldn't do it, just meant Stirling has the good arm. I do all the plumbing jobs here too! But you're the one with the owie!
I understood that. It's just really so easy that it won't bother my hand. Nothing needs to be twisted or pulled hard or anything like that. No tools needed. The hardest part is taking the lid off the tank.