"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #3181
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ironically enough, a peeve of mine is those that always complain and never balance this by noticing something positive, e.g. to be grateful for. There are always those so much worse off than us.

Currently a tenant here is persistently irate by my front garden straying on to the communal path by a few inches. She calls them weeds but they are beautiful wild flowers and not obstructing anything (the path is wide). I find it pathetic that this should matter to her but the bottom line is
really that she dislikes these wild flowers. If that is all she has to worry about her life must be great! I said she could cut them back if this is such a problem to her.

She is normally so pleasant and easy going - it's puzzling. I don't regard these flowers as unsightly. To me, it highlights conditioning. Anything wild she probably sees as weeds and therefore not to be appreciated if you cannot buy it. How sad is that? Hollyhocks grow wild and are delightful.
Could she possibly have allergies?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #3182
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Today there are two new holes and one of the two I filled in has been re-excavated.

I'm starting to save pee. I am also starting to save the hair from my comb. I have read skunks don't like human hair.

Anybody know any other harmless skunk deterrents?
Ornery dog, pet red-tailed hawk, certain species of owls.

Become a falconer and you will no longer have a skunk problem.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #3183
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ornery dog, pet red-tailed hawk, certain species of owls.

Become a falconer and you will no longer have a skunk problem.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north
Not too likely.

That's right, some owls hunt skunk. The great horned owl thinks skunk is a delicacy. That's why you shouldn't walk in the country at night wearing a white hat. More than one moving white hat has been mistaken for a skunk. Apparently the owl figures it out when it's too late to completely stop the dive. They try to stop, but their talons hit first. ow ow ow
Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #3184
Chef Extraordinaire

You got my curiosity aroused so I went on the hunt. It seems that all home remedies call for cayenne pepper sprinkled liberally. One recommended castor oil mixed with the pepper. Another one recommended placing your dryer sheets where they are. And then there were just too far out to even mention. Myself, I would go for the hot powered pepper. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #3185
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First, let me preface this by explaining that I come from the old school when it comes to language and grammar. Suffice it to say, it makes me nuts when I see postings on sites such as Facebook where people, most likely unknowingly, write sloppily. Texting, which is something our phones (Glenn's and mine - on purpose) aren't equipped to do, is another death knell for language. I cringe when I see things such as "How R U?" I'm getting the creepy crawlies just typing that, but that's me.

I came across something that Weird Al has done that humorously points out the craziness of today's language usage. Take a look here and you'll see what I mean. And, as usual, it's definitely Yankovic!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #3186
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
First, let me preface this by explaining that I come from the old school when it comes to language and grammar. Suffice it to say, it makes me nuts when I see postings on sites such as Facebook where people, most likely unknowingly, write sloppily. Texting, which is something our phones (Glenn's and mine - on purpose) aren't equipped to do, is another death knell for language. I cringe when I see things such as "How R U?" I'm getting the creepy crawlies just typing that, but that's me.

I came across something that Weird Al has done that humorously points out the craziness of today's language usage. Take a look here and you'll see what I mean. And, as usual, it's definitely Yankovic!

Great minds think alike, Katie. Check out Today's Funnys.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #3187
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Taxy, I remember a lady I worked with years ago who had a skunk take up residence under her porch. No exterminator service would deal with skunks. Poor lady, the whole house smelled like skunk, including all her clothes. IIRC she used a Havahart trap baited with cat food that's specially designed to prevent the skunk from lifting its tail to spray. Then it's relocated far away.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #3188
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Great minds think alike, Katie. Check out Today's Funnys.
Thanks, Andy. I will, then I'll go to the kitchen where I have the ingredients at the ready to make a bunch of "vanishing oatmeal cookies!" Oven's already preheated so I'm ready to rock and roll. Yum!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #3189
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You got my curiosity aroused so I went on the hunt. It seems that all home remedies call for cayenne pepper sprinkled liberally. One recommended castor oil mixed with the pepper. Another one recommended placing your dryer sheets where they are. And then there were just too far out to even mention. Myself, I would go for the hot powered pepper. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions Addie. I already Googled and I don't think I'll be using cayenne. There are squirrels and I've heard they get it on their hands and then into their eyes. Then they scratch their eyes. If the urine and hair don't work, I will probably buy some castor oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Taxy, I remember a lady I worked with years ago who had a skunk take up residence under her porch. No exterminator service would deal with skunks. Poor lady, the whole house smelled like skunk, including all her clothes. IIRC she used a Havahart trap baited with cat food that's specially designed to prevent the skunk from lifting its tail to spray. Then it's relocated far away.
Thanks for the suggestion, I sure hope I don't have to go that far. I'll try other methods first. I really don't mind having a skunk living in the neighbourhood, just not digging at Shreddy's grave.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #3190
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Thanks, Andy. I will, then I'll go to the kitchen where I have the ingredients at the ready to make a bunch of "vanishing oatmeal cookies!" Oven's already preheated so I'm ready to rock and roll. Yum!
What a great idea! I've been trying to come up with something to make for a dessert. That will fill the bill.