"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #3841
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Dawglover, I think some men do things wrong so they won't ever have to do them again. I know I am going to get beat up over that comment, but guys, please note I said "some." I am not including any of the male members of DC, whom I KNOW would NEVER think of doing that!!

There was an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode that addressed that same issue!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #3842
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Dawg, my Mom used to call that "book smart, life stupid". The higher the IQ, the lower the common sense. I have a child who is living (so far) proof of that.

**************************

I have to vent about our electric bill. Although we heat with fuel oil (thank goodness that has gone down in price this winter) we heat our hot water with electric, as well as cooking, drying clothes, etc. In past winters, our bill was probably around $110 for the high bill, what with Christmas cooking and lights and such. This last bill was Oh My God! We were gone for 13 of the 35 days in this billing cycle. While we were gone (OH for Christmas with the kids, family funeral in PA early this month) we turned the hot water tank off. Obviously we weren't watching TV or cooking/baking. This bill? $160!!! Damn, I despise National Grid right now...
Perhaps they estimated the bill instead of reading the meter? Can you dispute it?
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #3843
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
MC, "no" and "probably no". This was a read bill, and I tried to dispute an electric bill ages ago and got nothing but aggravation. Now that I'm old and have high blood pressure, it's probably cheaper to pay it than need to see the doctor! We just had a rate increase on the cost of supply, but the transmission charges are pretty much the same. Our supply costs went up about 37%! Since we have to use National Grid for transmission BUT we can shop around for a supplier, I'll have to get Himself on track to start shopping around. Fortunately, he can do it from the comfort of his recliner.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #3844
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
MC, "no" and "probably no". This was a read bill, and I tried to dispute an electric bill ages ago and got nothing but aggravation. Now that I'm old and have high blood pressure, it's probably cheaper to pay it than need to see the doctor! We just had a rate increase on the cost of supply, but the transmission charges are pretty much the same. Our supply costs went up about 37%! Since we have to use National Grid for transmission BUT we can shop around for a supplier, I'll have to get Himself on track to start shopping around. Fortunately, he can do it from the comfort of his recliner.
I have National Grid pay more for the delivery charges than I do for the electricity and gas each month. It's frustrating in months when people do not use a sufficient amount of electricity and gas for home heating we get hit with an additional service charge to make up for the reduced sales. The whole thing defeats the idea of trying to conserve. I miss the good old days when you just paid for what you used!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #3845
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
MC, "no" and "probably no". This was a read bill, and I tried to dispute an electric bill ages ago and got nothing but aggravation. Now that I'm old and have high blood pressure, it's probably cheaper to pay it than need to see the doctor! We just had a rate increase on the cost of supply, but the transmission charges are pretty much the same. Our supply costs went up about 37%! Since we have to use National Grid for transmission BUT we can shop around for a supplier, I'll have to get Himself on track to start shopping around. Fortunately, he can do it from the comfort of his recliner.
Having recently had an estimated bill for a house I look after but which is vacant, I submitted a correct but lower electricity meter reading on-line. Got an email back. It didn't have "YOU ARE A LIAR" on the subject line but it was very close! They would have to send an official (not a meter reader, mind, but an "OFFICIAL") to check my reading because it was lower than THEY thought it should be and woe be-tide me if I had tried, feloniously, to give them an incorrect reading. "THEFT OF ELECTRICITY IS A CRIME" they said in capital letters!
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #3846
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Having recently had an estimated bill for a house I look after but which is vacant, I submitted a correct but lower electricity meter reading on-line. Got an email back. It didn't have "YOU ARE A LIAR" on the subject line but it was very close! They would have to send an official (not a meter reader, mind, but an "OFFICIAL") to check my reading because it was lower than THEY thought it should be and woe be-tide me if I had tried, feloniously, to give them an incorrect reading. "THEFT OF ELECTRICITY IS A CRIME" they said in capital letters!
That what I love about DC. We have all sorts of folks. Even thieves! I can't wait to hear how this saga ends. Get ready to tell them "I told you so!"

I got my former landlord on a Felony Charge of stealing electricity. I had moved out and told the electric company to send me the final bill. The landlord called them and told them I decided to not move out, so they shouldn't shut the electricity off. He wanted the lights on so he could use it at night when he was working on the apartment. He got a hefty fine of $1000 dollars and six months probation. He was lucky I didn't push for jail time for him. I used to be his favorite tenant. But not anymore.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #3847
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That what I love about DC. We have all sorts of folks. Even thieves! I can't wait to hear how this saga ends. Get ready to tell them "I told you so!"

I got my former landlord on a Felony Charge of stealing electricity. I had moved out and told the electric company to send me the final bill. The landlord called them and told them I decided to not move out, so they shouldn't shut the electricity off. He wanted the lights on so he could use it at night when he was working on the apartment. He got a hefty fine of $1000 dollars and six months probation. He was lucky I didn't push for jail time for him. I used to be his favorite tenant. But not anymore.
Good for you Addie.

With mine I just told them to come and check it out. The chap read the meter, told me I was right and I was off the hook. Apparently, it's a standard letter which I thought was a bit naughty. It would throw some customers into a panic.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #3848
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
After DH got a divorce from wife #1, his water bill dropped so drastically that the water company sent out a guy to check the meter. They thought it was broken. Going from baths and laundry for 4 people to bath and laundry for 1 person makes a real big difference! Not to mention flushing the toilet!
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #3849
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
utility bills are getting out of hand, a tenant of mine has 2 kids {teenagers} and rents an apartment of mine that is just over 1600 sq ft, she was recently divorced and this is her first winter on her own. The rent is $1700 per month with no utilities included {I gave her a discount the previous tenant was $1800 and the unit above her is $1800 and the unit on the side of her is $2000 per month}, anyway she called me and asked if she could come by my office for a meeting, I explained she had to talk to my office manager since she dealt with everything and I am hardly ever at the office, but she was upset so wanted to talk to me personally...

I agreed and had her come to the house to talk to me, she brought all her bills and her pay stubs, she showed me that she can not afford the gas and electric bills. She could afford it in the summer but the winter added $200 or so a month and she can not afford it. So she is a good tenant and most will just make you evict them after they dont pay for 4 months. She asked if I could lower the rent for the cold months, so instead of doing that {it would be hard to keep track of} I lowered it $100 a month all year {as long as she promised not to tell the other tenants}..

This time of year is really hard on people, I hate wasting money on utilities, I have solar arrays and heat with coal {100% solar and coal} so our house {over 4K sq ft} costs about $1500 per year for electric and to heat and cool it year round. My neighbors home is smaller than ours and costs $7500 per year just in oil!!!
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #3850
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
utility bills are getting out of hand, a tenant of mine has 2 kids {teenagers} and rents an apartment of mine that is just over 1600 sq ft, she was recently divorced and this is her first winter on her own. The rent is $1700 per month with no utilities included {I gave her a discount the previous tenant was $1800 and the unit above her is $1800 and the unit on the side of her is $2000 per month}, anyway she called me and asked if she could come by my office for a meeting, I explained she had to talk to my office manager since she dealt with everything and I am hardly ever at the office, but she was upset so wanted to talk to me personally...

I agreed and had her come to the house to talk to me, she brought all her bills and her pay stubs, she showed me that she can not afford the gas and electric bills. She could afford it in the summer but the winter added $200 or so a month and she can not afford it. So she is a good tenant and most will just make you evict them after they dont pay for 4 months. She asked if I could lower the rent for the cold months, so instead of doing that {it would be hard to keep track of} I lowered it $100 a month all year {as long as she promised not to tell the other tenants}..

This time of year is really hard on people, I hate wasting money on utilities, I have solar arrays and heat with coal {100% solar and coal} so our house {over 4K sq ft} costs about $1500 per year for electric and to heat and cool it year round. My neighbors home is smaller than ours and costs $7500 per year just in oil!!!
It is folks like you that make this a better world to live in. Thank you for that small ray of hope for mankind.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.