"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #4201
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Trains sound like home to me, it should take me a day to get used to them. Mom and Dad live right next to the tracks, with a train every 20 minutes during the day, you learn to pace your conversations and the TV is always loud. With us being 2 blocks away, it will be a bit muted. During the night they come back empty about every 40 minutes.
Kinda like living with an international airport in your back yard. Fortunately, I live at the service end. Very rarely do I ever hear an airplane overhead. And then it is a small two engine one way up high.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #4202
Master Chef

I do not mind sound of train, but the "astronaut" behind the will, keeps sounding the horn like 20-30 times as he goes thru neighborhood, that is what I cannot stand.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #4203
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do not mind sound of train, but the "astronaut" behind the will, keeps sounding the horn like 20-30 times as he goes thru neighborhood, that is what I cannot stand.
Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #4204
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing.
Trains are required to sound their horn every time they cross a road on grade (at ground level). They are not required to sound it as much as they do. We have a train crossing not too far from our condo development and there is a wide variation in horn sounding. Some take a perverse pleasure of going crazy on the horn at 3:00AM. Not to mention what they do if you have the nerve to complain!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #4205
Executive Chef

When I was 7 we lived in an apartment above a store while waiting for our house to be vacant for us to move in....a few months. A train went right through our back yard. The whole house shook when it went by. As a kid I thought it was fun!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #4206
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We were at my friend's wedding, the subject of food and cooking came up with some people that I had just met. They were quite nice, but proclaimed that they were "foodies", what came next was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've heard in a long time. It was kind of obnoxious. Why can't people discuss their love for food without saying "I'd NEVER use tomato sauce from a jar" or "the only bread worth eating is from La Farm".

It's totally cool that they have these preferences, I'm OK with that. When you make loud proclamations in mixed company, you just sound snobbish. Good for you if you enjoy $8 a loaf bread, or you are a master of marinara! Just don't try to elevate yourself by your preferences, it's annoying.

rant over!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #4207
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We were at my friend's wedding, the subject of food and cooking came up with some people that I had just met. They were quite nice, but proclaimed that they were "foodies", what came next was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've heard in a long time. It was kind of obnoxious. Why can't people discuss their love for food without saying "I'd NEVER use tomato sauce from a jar" or "the only bread worth eating is from La Farm".

It's totally cool that they have these preferences, I'm OK with that. When you make loud proclamations in mixed company, you just sound snobbish. Good for you if you enjoy $8 a loaf bread, or you are a master of marinara! Just don't try to elevate yourself by your preferences, it's annoying.

rant over!

I laugh too. We run into folks like that all the time. I keep my mouth shut, though it's hard.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #4208
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I laugh too. We run into folks like that all the time. I keep my mouth shut, though it's hard.
That was the reason I gave up going to wine tastings.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #4209
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I only went to one, I was told that I had an unsophisticated palate!

I was in hopes that would qualify me for a handicapped parking sticker!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #4210
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post

Understand. I like wine, and can tell what it tastes like. I also like Velveeta and Rotel and Campbell's Cream of Something soups. Food snobs, I like not so much.