"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #5421
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I should treat myself using Romaine lettuce more. It's kind of pricey.

I've been buying Romaine. I find it really outlasts bagged mixed greens, which tend to turn into science experiments before we can use them up. Saves money in the long run.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #5422
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm guessing you don't have a basement? We've parked our cars in our garage from the day we moved in. Then again, we get snow and we like to keep our cars forever, so we think of garages as safe havens for our vehicles.

You either need to get rid of the junk, or get rid of the wife. Looks like you'll be living with a cluttered garage, eh?
In my early car owning days I was told quite seriously by a garage mechanic that cars were more likely to rust when kept in a garage than when kept outside. I have no idea if there is any scientific evidence for this.

I've never had a garage until recently so never been able to test this one out. None of my cars have rusted much, though.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #5423
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Petty vent: Packaged salad bags in supermarkets now. It used to be you could pour the salad into a bowl, add dressing, tasted fresh. Nowadays, if you don't use a salad spinner with bagged lettuce, you get an earthy dirt flavor. Two years ago, salad bag makers rinsed their product a lot more than now. Water shortage, cost, etc. changed all that.

Yes yes, I know...rinse ALL salads now to prevent Salmonella. I bought a salad spinner a couple of months ago. I'm too lazy to make my own salad. My current fave bagged salad is Mainly Romaine.

Hehe, Romaine lettuce scares me, I've never used it. I've seen it in fancy sandwiches and bagged lettuce.
I'm not a lettuce lover but I do like romaine lettuce. It has flavour! Over here we can buy baby lettuces that look like miniature Romaines. They aren't bad either.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #5424
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In my early car owning days I was told quite seriously by a garage mechanic that cars were more likely to rust when kept in a garage than when kept outside. I have no idea if there is any scientific evidence for this.

I've never had a garage until recently so never been able to test this one out. None of my cars have rusted much, though.
Interesting. That doesn't make sense to me. We have never had a garage, so our vehicles are always outside and we have no problems with rust. OTOH, when we lived in Michigan, it was common for cars to have problems with rust. The reason was that it snowed much more there than here and the salt put on the roads to deal with ice and snow caused corrosion and rust on the undersides of vehicles.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #5425
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We are told that cars rust more in a heated garage. That has to do with the salt they use on the roads to melt the snow. The slushy snow sticks to the underside of the car. In an unheated garage the reaction of salt, water, and metal is slow. When the garage is heated, the reaction is speeded up. Plain old chemistry. OTH, in a heated garage, the slushy snow melts and falls off the car. I don't know if the smaller amount of salt left on the car in a heated garage balances out with the speedier reaction.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #5426
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We are told that cars rust more in a heated garage. That has to do with the salt they use on the roads to melt the snow. The slushy snow sticks to the underside of the car. In an unheated garage the reaction of salt, water, and metal is slow. When the garage is heated, the reaction is speeded up. Plain old chemistry. OTH, in a heated garage, the slushy snow melts and falls off the car. I don't know if the smaller amount of salt left on the car in a heated garage balances out with the speedier reaction.
I can't imagine paying to heat a garage, but I guess people do.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #5427
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It really depends on how you use the garage. In some cases, it's an extension of the house where the nature of its use requires it.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #5428
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Because my house was built in a valley with a very high water table, my foundation is a "raft slab". Think of a raft on water. When my foundation moves, it moves as a unit. My home needs the foundation uniformly heated, including the garage.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #5429
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The underground garages in my condo association (there are four of them that each has ~20 cars) are heated to around 3 or 4C. When it's -20C out, it's really nice to get into a car that isn't that icy cold.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #5430
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The underground garages in my condo association (there are four of them that each has ~20 cars) are heated to around 3 or 4C. When it's -20C out, it's really nice to get into a car that isn't that icy cold.
I grew up in Michigan; I know how cold it gets in winter. My parents never had heated garages when I was growing up. I can imagine it's nice, but I also imagine it costs quite a bit to heat. I'm pretty sure the garages my parents had were not insulated. That would make a big difference.

Beth, your situation makes sense.