"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #611
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
my cats both keep waking me day & night, (babbit smacks me with her paw, & tig has followed in this) & they decide when i'm feeding them. i'm not allowed to wash dishes now, either. not unless i put h2o in thier already-full container 1st. gotta love the pets.
They are training you.

If the cats wake you, kick them out of the bedroom until they learn better manners. I successfully taught my first cat not to wake me for food, after he had trained me. I haven't let other cats train me that way.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #612
Master Chef

When our cat wants scratch, when I'm watching TV, he comes to me. When he needs food, he has a particular meow that says - Hey, anybody, I'm hungry!" When he wants treats, DW is the only one he goes to, "cause I don't give him treats hardly ever. Once in a great while, I'll feel generous enough to share a bit of liverwurst with him. I cluck my tongue and he comes-a-runnin'. He doesn't beg for treats from me. He knows it's not going to happen unless I cluck my tongue.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #613
Chef Extraordinaire

On this morning's news there was a report of a fire on the North Shore. They were able to save two rabbits, a bird, and a cat. No one was home. But the dog was lost in the fire. According to the homeowners, they believed that the fire may have started because the dog was "surfing" the counter tops looking for food. He may have accidental turned on a knob on the stove.

How do you allow a dog to surf the counter tops? Why wasn't there food in the dog's dish? A beautiful dog was lost because the owners failed to properly train the animal. Part of loving an animal is to train it to behave in an acceptable manner to humans. Walking on the kitchen counter tops is not good behavior on the part of the animal. Any animal.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #614
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
On this morning's news there was a report of a fire on the North Shore. They were able to save two rabbits, a bird, and a cat. No one was home. But the dog was lost in the fire. According to the homeowners, they believed that the fire may have started because the dog was "surfing" the counter tops looking for food. He may have accidental turned on a knob on the stove.

How do you allow a dog to surf the counter tops? Why wasn't there food in the dog's dish? A beautiful dog was lost because the owners failed to properly train the animal. Part of loving an animal is to train it to behave in an acceptable manner to humans. Walking on the kitchen counter tops is not good behavior on the part of the animal. Any animal.
I have to agree with you on this Addie. There is absolutely NO reason for ANY animal to be walking on countertops or even tables for that matter. Things like safety for the animal as well as the human, sanitary reasons both come to mind. I'm sure there are some cat owners out there who will disagree with me and so be it, but it's simply just a bad thing to allow all the way around.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #615
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I have to agree with you on this Addie. There is absolutely NO reason for ANY animal to be walking on countertops or even tables for that matter. Things like safety for the animal as well as the human, sanitary reasons both come to mind. I'm sure there are some cat owners out there who will disagree with me and so be it, but it's simply just a bad thing to allow all the way around.
+1!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #616
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

+2

I was at a friend's house many long years back (about 25 or so), sitting at a their supper table enjoying a pork roast and some spuds with my wife and kids, when the family cat jumped up on the table. The husband of the house was at the opposite end of the table from the cat, and through his fork at it, to scare it off of the table. It was a frustration thing as they had been trying to discourage this cat behavior for some time.

Well, to make a long story short, that fork stuck in the cat's forehead. It didn't do major damage, and the cat lived for many years later. He though twice about jumping up onto the dinner table again though.

I don't promote throwing forks, or anything else at cats. I punched one really hard once, sent him flying across the room. I'd walked into my sister's home, after knocking at the door. Her cat was sitting on the back of a chair, next to the door. When I entered, the animal attacked me and drove his teeth several inches into my left shoulder. I had never before hit an animal, nor have I since. It was purely reflex on my part. Needless to say, the cat kept his distance for a long time.

Sometimes, animal behavior can be hard to control. Sometimes, it's the owner's fault. And sometimes, just as it is with people, the animal gets what it deserves. I've had a few run-ins with dogs when I was a child, dogs that I never did anything to. And sometimes, I'd wished I had had a weapon with me. I lived in the country, and many people let their dogs run free in those days. I am no friend to ornery German Shepherds, or Cocker Spaniels. I am friend to all good dogs and cats, and have even been known to befriend a mean dog, who was mean from fear of abuse, and made friends with the dog. But just as there are badly behaved people, there are badly behaved animals, and it isn't always due to lack of training.

Don't know why I wrote a book about this. Just lots of memories popping into my head of mean dogs that used to scare me witless when I was a child.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #617
Executive Chef

what do you mean, "allow" (the dog to surf the counter tops)? i've had a number of lovable pets, but they were, without exception, smart, devious, and totally without a conscience as to their (mis)behavior. my pets didn't pass up many opportunities, when i was absent, to do precisely those things that were strictly forbidden when i was there. just like it is not possible to "childproof" your home to absolutely ensure your child's safety, i believe a pet owner cannot effectively train a pet to refrain from forbidden behavior in unsupervised situations.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #618
Hospitality Queen

Ever had a Grrrrrrr moment, when you just want to growl at a situation? Yep. That's where I am. My weekend's plans may all be messed up because of one thing, which has nothing to do with me.

Anyone else having a grrrrr moment?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #619
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what do you mean, "allow" (the dog to surf the counter tops)? i've had a number of lovable pets, but they were, without exception, smart, devious, and totally without a conscience as to their (mis)behavior. my pets didn't pass up many opportunities, when i was absent, to do precisely those things that were strictly forbidden when i was there. just like it is not possible to "childproof" your home to absolutely ensure your child's safety, i believe a pet owner cannot effectively train a pet to refrain from forbidden behavior in unsupervised situations.
That's what I was thinking. My cat isn't allowed on the counter, but I can't be sure he doesn't get on them when I'm not home. It's also why I clean the counters and stove before I start cooking.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #620
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
If you have to leave the home, and you know your animal has a bad behavior problem in your absence, then you make sure that that room is not accessible in your absence.

I get upset with Spike when I see him correct bad behavior from Teddy. I know it is necessary. As Spike says, he will always let Teddy know that he is not the alpha in their relationship. Spike is.

Teddy knows I am the one that will spoil him. So when Spike leaves him here even for a short time, he pushes the envelope. But I am learning. He is much more enjoyable when he is behaving. He will always be allowed to jump up on my bed for his scratches. Just like at home. But he is not allowed to drag his food all over the house and hide it. The dish stays where I put it.

He has some behavior that is pure instinct. Barking when anyone out in the hall gets too close to my door. He does the same thing at home. Protecting his territory and family. He thinks he is a German Shepherd. Unfortunately we have to stop him after a couple of barks. I don't want to stifle that instinct, yet I have to be mindful of my neighbors. No matter what he does wrong, I just love him to death.