"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #81
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
When I was a kid, my brother didn't label one if his hunting kills when he put it in the freezer. We ended up eating groundhog (intended for eventual turtle bait) for supper. We raised rabbits for food & Mom thought it was a package of rabbit until she started cooking it. It didn't taste bad - a little greasy. Mom didn't tell us until after supper.
My aunt and uncle (he died several years ago--they lived in Missouri) had two huge chest freezers. One was where they kept their food, and the other was where he kept the raccoons that he hunted out of season, until they were in season.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #82
Sous Chef

I called my doctor's office yesterday to have them fax a new script for my thyroid med to Express Scripts. They wouldn't do it until I told them what the dosage was on the bottle. I couldn't remember & didn't have the bottle with me at work. They refused to use the computer sitting in front of them to find the last script they faxed. So I checked the bottle last night. When I called back they were closed. They close at 11:30 AM on Fridays. Now I have to remember to call during the school day Monday before they close. At this rate I'll run out before they fax it. I can't believe I have to tell them the dosage! What if the pharmacy gave me the wrong dose last time? I'd never know. I thought the doctor was responsible for maintaining accurate records & prescribing meds. What would they do if I told them the wrong dosage, order what I said or what their records said? Such a STUPID policy!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I called my doctor's office yesterday to have them fax a new script for my thyroid med to Express Scripts. They wouldn't do it until I told them what the dosage was on the bottle. I couldn't remember & didn't have the bottle with me at work. They refused to use the computer sitting in front of them to find the last script they faxed. So I checked the bottle last night. When I called back they were closed. They close at 11:30 AM on Fridays. Now I have to remember to call during the school day Monday before they close. At this rate I'll run out before they fax it. I can't believe I have to tell them the dosage! What if the pharmacy gave me the wrong dose last time? I'd never know. I thought the doctor was responsible for maintaining accurate records & prescribing meds. What would they do if I told them the wrong dosage, order what I said or what their records said? Such a STUPID policy!
What?! When you wrote that you had to tell them the dosage, early in your post, I thought it sounded dumb. I hadn't even thought about the fact that the first Rx could have been wrong.

Having you tell them the dosage introduces another place for possible error. Unless, they are just verifying against their records that you are asking for the same 'script.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
I forgot to take my throid meds with me when I went to the doctor last. They asked me what my dosage was, and I told them what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. I got a refill not too long after that and realized that it was different from what I was getting before. I thought it was because of my recent blood test. Well...as it turns out, I did need an increase, but the increase happened a couple of days before the blood test came back. I was upset, but the doctor did not seem concerned, and said that the increase was necessary anyway. I will remember to take along the correct dose from now on.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.
I think this is an excellent idea and one I will implement.

But, that doesn't address the issue. I think it is irresponsible for the doctor to rely on the patient's memory for the dosage.

When I call my doctor to have a 'script renewed she asks which medication. She checks my file to see if I need to see her before it is refilled, while I am on the phone.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #87
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I take a bunch of meds and bring a printed list to medical appts. Leading up to this surgery, I had to repeat the list several times. Once, in the ortho Dr's office I suggested they get them online. They did with no problem. On a registration phone call for the surgery, I had to list them again. Then when I got to the hosp., they asked me to list them AGAIN! I refused so the woman said OK, I have them online.

That is just laziness in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #88
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think this is an excellent idea and one I will implement.

But, that doesn't address the issue. I think it is irresponsible for the doctor to rely on the patient's memory for the dosage.

When I call my doctor to have a 'script renewed she asks which medication. She checks my file to see if I need to see her before it is refilled, while I am on the phone.
I agree, the doctor's records should be up to date as well, after all they are the ones doing the ordering. I find CinderCat's and Chopper's experiences deplorable. All anyone should have to say is the name of the medication, it's up to the MD to order the correct dosage, not the patient to tell them.

I don't expect the Doctor to know I am taking x, but I DO expect them to have it in their records for reference.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat
I'm thinking it's a checks and balances thing, to make sure you are who you say you are, and not just trying to get high on someone else's thyroid meds. But utterly frustrating and stupid nonetheless.

I remember when DH tried to pick up my blood pressure meds for me that I had called in, they wouldn't let him have them, I can't remember why. I called the pharmacy and complained, and they've been cooperative ever since.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I take a bunch of meds and bring a printed list to medical appts. Leading up to this surgery, I had to repeat the list several times. Once, in the ortho Dr's office I suggested they get them online. They did with no problem. On a registration phone call for the surgery, I had to list them again. Then when I got to the hosp., they asked me to list them AGAIN! I refused so the woman said OK, I have them online.

That is just laziness in my opinion.
It is laziness, they have the records and it's not a hardship to look them up.

I like my pharmacy, they fax the MD and ask for refill orders, I don't have to do that. If the doc needs to see me I get a call from the nurse to set up an appointment, but my meds are refilled for at least another month.