Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just placed a very large order with Jet. Saw no difference this time. Next month I will place a much small one of household cleaning products and will see if there is any difference. :angel:
Well they weren't going to do it all at once and right away. :LOL: Watch for a price creep. Since they had their non-strike strike, I've noticed a price creep at Market Basket. First, they eliminated the extra 4% off your total bill. Then they nickel'd and dime'd their increases in things that I now find for a lower price at other stores. In spite of their name, "Price Chopper" has had some of the highest prices among the stores in my shopping circle. I used to shop them for strictly loss-leaders and fried fish. Now, I can find common things I use cheaper and easier at P-C than I can at Market Basket.

You might not have the same problem with finding things in stock at your store, though. The one I shop (and the only one close enough to make it worth driving to) has been going downhill since they replaced the original manager with a guy who seems to be interested in only biding his time until he retires. THAT won't happen soon enough...:(

That means it probably does not bode well for those of you who love Jet. With Wal-Mart coughing up that much money, they'll have to recover the cost somehow. Just like when Market Basket came back from their non-strike strike, pricing probably won't be as good as it was before.

Wonder how long it will be before Amazon buys out Wal-Jet, or vice-versa.

Walmart's sales were $472 billion last year. $3.3 billion is a drop in the bucket. They're just picking off a competitor and incorporating their online purchasing and distribution systems.

Well they weren't going to do it all at once and right away. :LOL: Watch for a price creep. Since they had their non-strike strike, I've noticed a price creep at Market Basket. First, they eliminated the extra 4% off your total bill. Then they nickel'd and dime'd their increases in things that I now find for a lower price at other stores. In spite of their name, "Price Chopper" has had some of the highest prices among the stores in my shopping circle. I used to shop them for strictly loss-leaders and fried fish. Now, I can find common things I use cheaper and easier at P-C than I can at Market Basket.

You might not have the same problem with finding things in stock at your store, though. The one I shop (and the only one close enough to make it worth driving to) has been going downhill since they replaced the original manager with a guy who seems to be interested in only biding his time until he retires. THAT won't happen soon enough...:(

The article that I read in the business section stated that Walmart wants to diversify. Their on-line sales are not as strong as they hoped they would be this past year. So since Jet is strictly for On-line shopping, they are hoping this will increase their on-line profit.

I have never been to a Walmart's. There is one up in Lynn on Route 107. I have friends that swear by them. There has been so much bad press over the years about them. I only shop at MB. Only because shopping really leaves me exhausted. It takes a lot out of me. I have noticed this past year, if I go somewhere, and have an appointment the next year, I just can't keep it. Two days in a row shopping is more than I can handle. And I will only consider shopping in stores with an electric cart. :angel:

Walmart's sales were $472 billion last year. $3.3 billion is a drop in the bucket. They're just picking off a competitor and incorporating their online purchasing and distribution systems.
$3.3 billion=drop in the bucket. It would be nice to have a drop from that drop, wouldn't it GG? Well, I'm still thankful for all we have. :)

$3.3 billion=drop in the bucket. It would be nice to have a drop from that drop, wouldn't it GG? Well, I'm still thankful for all we have. :)

I know, right? Crazy world. I'm thankful we have good health insurance and a terrific pharmacist (we go to an independent pharmacy). I picked up a pack of EpiPens today. With the coupon the pharmacist obtained, we only had to pay $40. It's recommended that beekeepers keep it on hand because after repeated bee stings, people can develop a sensitivity and have a serious reaction. Neither of us has reacted so far, but you never know.

That means it probably does not bode well for those of you who love Jet. With Wal-Mart coughing up that much money, they'll have to recover the cost somehow. Just like when Market Basket came back from their non-strike strike, pricing probably won't be as good as it was before.

Wonder how long it will be before Amazon buys out Wal-Jet, or vice-versa.
They'll do what they always do - they'll further exploit their workers.

We have a supermarket chain in the UK called ASDA which was taken over by Wal-mart some years ago. Whilst employment law seems to be tighter over here than in the US, ASDA/Wal-mart still manage to get away with murder.

The article that I read in the business section stated that Walmart wants to diversify. Their on-line sales are not as strong as they hoped they would be this past year. So since Jet is strictly for On-line shopping, they are hoping this will increase their on-line profit.

I have never been to a Walmart's. There is one up in Lynn on Route 107. I have friends that swear by them. There has been so much bad press over the years about them. I only shop at MB. Only because shopping really leaves me exhausted. It takes a lot out of me. I have noticed this past year, if I go somewhere, and have an appointment the next year, I just can't keep it. Two days in a row shopping is more than I can handle. And I will only consider shopping in stores with an electric cart. :angel:
Addie, can't you order on-line for home delivery? Most supermarkets, including the smaller ones, do it free of charge for orders over a certain value (about £60 is the cut-off for free delivery which sorts me out for a month when I use it). In fact one company delivers free for an order as little as £25 ($40-ish).

Addie, can't you order on-line for home delivery? Most supermarkets, including the smaller ones, do it free of charge for orders over a certain value (about £60 is the cut-off for free delivery which sorts me out for a month when I use it). In fact one company delivers free for an order as little as £25 ($40-ish).

Gee, I know several folks here in this building, do order their groceries for delivery. But I notice that it is a higher end store. And I have an EBT card for my groceries. It is like a credit card for food. I don't get cash. As far as I know, you have to pay cash for the groceries and a delivery fee. And of course the driver expects a tip. The grocery store I go to doesn't have delivery. I don't mind having to go shopping for groceries. At least my store has electric carts. That makes it so much easier for me. And I have Spike with me. He gets the second half of the store and does all my shopping in that end. If I had to do my whole list alone, it would take me at least 1.5 hours. I go shopping only once a month. If I need something in the middle of the month, Spike will pick it up for me. :angel:

Their problem is "on line sales". Not the whole profit line. I am with you CG. I would love to have a drop, but I am satisfied with what I have. I would never want so rich enough to the point that more is never enough. Greed us very ugly. :angel:

GG, I love to grocery shop! I wonder if there is a job for me at Instacart. :ermm: Aw, who am I kidding. I don't want to WORK work anymore! :LOL:

I will often take a look at "work at home" offers. Of course they want you to pay. I refuse to pay for the privilege of working for them. Even part time. So far all I have seen are rackets, in my eyes.

I figure with all the time I spend sitting here at the computer, maybe I should turn it into money. I used to do surveys for money. All totaled I made about $50. Then I got tired of stupid questions. :angel:

You, know, I think one of the best jobs out there (we're talking Houston) are the people who hand out samples in grocery stores....I looked into this business a while back and they are paid a decent salary and if you're a people person (which I am) it's a fun job.......... the place I talked to said that you're responsible for setting up your table and taking it down and then mingling with the public to hand out free food) there's this old-timer in our local HEB that is always selling this and that, any time of the week and I swear it's what keeps him young (and probably out of his wife's hair) he's always in a good mood......(and I bet his wife is, too)

expat, I used to do food demos! I worked for/at Buehler Foods in Medina, OH. It was fun, but the store had a pretty sweet set-up. They had an in-store cooking school, complete with a kitchen and small auditorium seating. We would demo on Fridays and Saturdays. They had carts that we would set with our equipment and samples, then roll out into the store promptly at 10:00 AM, with people trailing after us like puppies following a bone! :LOL: You knew the regulars, but it took me months to figure out that the one guy who showed up every Friday and Saturday, spent hours in the store, and had just a few items in his cart...was actually one of our security guys. Oops...

I had lunch in a hotel today with my husband and our youngest son. I ordered roast beef, which the menu said was served with seasonal vegetables, mashed potato and roast potato. When the food came the vegetables turned out to be covered by a cheese sauce, which I cannot eat, so I told this to the waiter and he brought me another portion without the cheese sauce.

My gripe is, why do restaurants assume diners will be able to eat something they add to a dish, but don't mention on the menu? Another example of this happening to me is when I order ice cream and it comes served with chocolate sauce - something else I can't eat. I know it sounds minor, but these surprise embellishments can ruin a meal for me.

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom