Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap sarah! 3 toddlers???? No WONDER you need to vent. They'd drive a saint to drink! I know what you mean, it hurts your heart when the little poops get your goat. Take heart, and find rooms with doors that close. That might not be easy sometimes, but give it a go. I also found (if you have a high tolerance for mess) that some of the simplest things will help everyone get along.

1. Make cookies together. Give everyone hunk of sugar cookie dough to cut shapes out of.
2. Make playdough and give everyone some cookie cutters to play with.
3. Try funky stuff like sucking jello up through a straw
3. Make finger paint with liquid dish soap and tempra paint and let them paint a window with it. BONUS: When you finally wash off their artwork all you need is water! Soap is already there!
4. And finally, come visit often! There's lots of us Mom's who've been exactly where you are and will offer you virtual hugs when you need them. Many is the time I've come here for comfort when I felt like the meanest mom in history. This place is family, and we're here to be your sanity break. {{{{{{sarah}}}}}}

Edit: sarah, check out this thread starting on page 32, post 315 and on for a page or so. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
OK, here's my vent. I got up this morning (earlier than I needed to, thanks once again to the alarm cat that hasn't recognized the time change) and upon wandering into the kitchen, discovered the mat in front of my back door was SOAKED. I was quite puzzled because none of our animals have accidents - ever. I turned on the light and lifted up the rug. There is no way any one animal could have a bladder THAT big anyway. I took the rug out, and started mop up. I discovered that my DISHWASHER had blown something in the night and had leaked underneath and around a cabinet. *sigh* I turned off the water valve to the dishwasher and put down a ShamWow to suck up anything still oozing.

THERE'S A LOT STILL OOZING!!! Since the dishwasher is empty, I can only guess that there is a lovely little pool under the cabinet still making its way out. Grrr! Its far too early to start calling my repair guy, and guess what? Its a very busy week for me this week. Its a six day stretch of work! I've got an afternoon teaching gig today, all day teaching tomorrow, day shift Wed and Thurs, and evening shift Friday! ARGH!

If you were a mind reader, you'd be running and screaming right now at the horrible words being screamed in my head.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm still grumpy, but I feel marginally better. Now just to count down the minutes til I can call for help!

Sounds like the alarm cat woke you up early for a reason..."Danger Mom! My world it not right!"

My alarm cat wouldn't let me sleep this morning, either...there was a cat outside trying to claw it's way in through the screen. It was raining most of the night and the poor thing was soaked. I took a box and blanket outside for it and we all went back to sleep for a bit.

I'll see if he is still there in a bit and take some food out.

Alarm cat goes off at 630am regardless of the reason. Since the time change its been 530. Little bugger. If I can get a hold of him I stuff him under the covers to snuggle for a bit. He's a wily one though, doesn't get close enough to grab, stays juuuuust outside my reach.

Only 3 more minutes til I can try calling the repair guy. Please God, let them open at 8 and not 9.

I had the alarm-dog go off at 4 AM which set of the other dog which then set off the 3rd. Luckily the 4th likes to sleep and didn't respond to any of them.

Oh Alix, that's awful! I hope it does not cost too much to have fixed, and I hope that it hasn't caused any lasting damage.

:(Barbara

Thanks Barbara, I hope so too! My appliance guy is pretty good so I'm hoping he will be able to fix it all. I'm trying NOT to be uber cranky but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I've got such a busy week and this just started it off with a bang...or rather a squelch.

Well, think about it this way, would you rather get it out of the way, or would you rather it happen in the middle of your busy week? Or as everything is starting to wind down and you are looking forward to relaxing? Of course you would rather it hadn't happened at all, but it could be worse! :wacko:

:neutral:Barbara

I'm not sure there would have been a good day for this to happen. I'm taking it as a sign from the gods to mark my stupid papers.

LOL I know, there really is no good time. My inner-Pollyanna just wouldn't shut up and had to have her say. :cool:

:)Barbara

I just read a new thread about stuck on labels on wooden bowls, and it got me started on one of my very biggest pet peeves.

For just one example, I bought a package of baby wipes recently and it came in a really pretty pearliized container. I thought, great, I can collect a few of these for items like hair ties and scrunchies. BUT NOOOO. The labels were impossible to remove, even by slow and painstaking fingernail. Goo Gone would have ruined the plastic so I ended up just throwing it out. My new brand pulls through a small opening on the top, is cheaper, and comes with more wipes, but the container is just plain ugly white and I can't think of any use for it when it is empty. More plastic in our landfills.

I wish there were some way to get these manufacturers on the Green bandwagon. I have looked and looked for a site where I get my opinion out there. It is a real shame. I like to reuse/repurpose things and when I couldn't reuse that pretty pearlized container, I also felt gypped.

I think this Thread is a great idea. Venting is a healty outlet for anger, and just posting this made me feel so much better having gotten it off my chest. Thank you!

Did you think about gluing some contact or craft paper to cover up the label?

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me.:ohmy: I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.

They are great for when you are "otherwise" clean (after bathing), to feel fresh.

Did you think about gluing some contact or craft paper to cover up the label?

No, Patty1, I really wanted that pearlized container. It was so pretty. I don't buy that kind any more as my new brand is much cheaper and has a lot more (140 vs. 80) sheets.

Since when is it okay for cashiers to decide you do not want your pennies back at checkout. I had one keep my penny and got weird when I asked for it, she had already closed the drawer. And another who asked me if I wanted my two pennies.

First of all, one penny is not much, I'll concede that...but it's MY penny. Second, when I was cashiering, it never occured to me to keep the pennies, it would have made my till off.

Anyway...I should not have been let out of the house without adult supervision today. One mess up and brainless act after another.

Ever eat scrambled eggs with your fingers because you failed to pick up a plastic fork? And I only took my wallet today, means I left my purse at home with it's hideout utensils.

Had an arguement about what time it was, because I forgot to change the clock in the car. And a run-in with the owner of the wet cat from last night. She accused me of trying to steal her cat...I told her I'd keep feeding him when he shows up in the middle of the night cold and wet.

I'm going to take a nap and hit my reset button.:LOL:

28716-albums287-picture2378.jpg

can't take a nap right now, and i really need one. vons guy delivered an order i placed yesterday. few things for thanksgiving and a free turkey. a whole bunch of stuff is missing. enough to fill one of the milk crates they put the bags in. think he just missed one. called customer service, asked to call me back and tell me what was happening. they didn't. called back. said would be here between 2 and 3. so have to wait up for him. i am very tired and wish he would hurry up. i scheduled the time 11 to 1 so i could take a nap. balderdash, that is mild for what i want to say.

Since when is it okay for cashiers to decide you do not want your pennies back at checkout. I had one keep my penny and got weird when I asked for it, she had already closed the drawer. And another who asked me if I wanted my two pennies.

First of all, one penny is not much, I'll concede that...but it's MY penny. Second, when I was cashiering, it never occured to me to keep the pennies, it would have made my till off...
28716-albums287-picture2378.jpg
I have had this same conversation before! I returned something to a store years ago. I was supposed to get back something like $5.05. The girl at the exchange desk handed me $5.00 and called the next person up. I said something about not getting all of my money, and she said, "Oh, it's just a nickel." I said, "Yes, but it's MY nickel." Sheesh! I'm not a cheapskate by any means. I say "Keep the change" fairly often. But when it is my money, it should be my option to tell them to keep it. My dad was supposed to get a pretty sizable amount of money back in change from one place. The girl took his money and acted like she was done. When he didn't leave, she said, "Oh, did you want your change?" He said, "YES, I want my change!" LOL It was something like $7.00, and she was just going to keep it.

Oh that would gripe me too! Not just the money, but the no nap thing! Grrrr!

Update: Dishwasher is completely dead, new dishwasher is in the garage waiting until Wed pm to be installed. Sigh. That seems like a long time, but at least I still have a dishwasher!

I have had this same conversation before! I returned something to a store years ago. I was supposed to get back something like $5.05. The girl at the exchange desk handed me $5.00 and called the next person up. I said something about not getting all of my money, and she said, "Oh, it's just a nickel." I said, "Yes, but it's MY nickel." Sheesh! I'm not a cheapskate by any means. I say "Keep the change" fairly often. But when it is my money, it should be my option to tell them to keep it. My dad was supposed to get a pretty sizable amount of money back in change from one place. The girl took his money and acted like she was done. When he didn't leave, she said, "Oh, did you want your change?" He said, "YES, I want my change!" LOL It was something like $7.00, and she was just going to keep it.

That brings up my pet peeve. When wait staff take your money to the cashier and ask if you want your change. The first time this happened to me was in Charleston SC. The deal with my fellow diners was I would buy dinner and they would leave the tip. I told them not to, they did anyway. That girl was asking for a 35.00$ tip FCS!!! It is now my personal practice that if I get asked that I leave no tip at all. And I let them know why.

Back
Top Bottom