"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Protein. That's where the cheese curds come in...
The beef stroganoff version would be similar to the one with hamburger and onions...and, some people add either vinegar or ketchup and black pepper to garnish poutine after getting their orders.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Already crispy fries in the bottom, cheese curds, gravy, top with more crispy fries, bake until cheese gets a bit melty. Yum! Sell them to unsuspecting Canadians...
You gonna try it?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It's the cheese curds that puke me.
Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!
There's definitely s/thing special about fresh (same day) St. Albert cheese curds. Luckily, St. Albert's is only about 40 minutes from the farm and the next town over from the place that sells organic chicken feed. Most of the local places use St. Albert's cheese curds...even the gas stations sell these fresh curds!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.
Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.

I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.
I'm not sure, but if there are fries, and cheese curds, and some sort of sauce, it's poutine.

I had Poutine in a small town back in the early '80s. I had never heard of them before and they were already selling two kinds. The regular poutine with gravy and the "Poutine Italienne", made with pasta sauce. That was before most Montrealers had heard of poutine and it comes from Quebec.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.
GG...good luck with that. I was gently teasing you sir. Please disregard my comments otherwise.

OK, now as for the poutine thing...I've made mine with mozza, monterey jack and other white cheeses, but honestly, those cheese curds are the BEST to use. OM NOM NOM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
Executive Chef

No problem. I probably should not have made any comments about this dish not appealing to me. Sorry.