"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Protein. That's where the cheese curds come in...
The beef stroganoff version would be similar to the one with hamburger and onions...and, some people add either vinegar or ketchup and black pepper to garnish poutine after getting their orders.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Already crispy fries in the bottom, cheese curds, gravy, top with more crispy fries, bake until cheese gets a bit melty. Yum! Sell them to unsuspecting Canadians...
You gonna try it?
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It's the cheese curds that puke me.
Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!
There's definitely s/thing special about fresh (same day) St. Albert cheese curds. Luckily, St. Albert's is only about 40 minutes from the farm and the next town over from the place that sells organic chicken feed. Most of the local places use St. Albert's cheese curds...even the gas stations sell these fresh curds!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.
Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.

I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.
I'm not sure, but if there are fries, and cheese curds, and some sort of sauce, it's poutine.

I had Poutine in a small town back in the early '80s. I had never heard of them before and they were already selling two kinds. The regular poutine with gravy and the "Poutine Italienne", made with pasta sauce. That was before most Montrealers had heard of poutine and it comes from Quebec.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.
GG...good luck with that. I was gently teasing you sir. Please disregard my comments otherwise.

OK, now as for the poutine thing...I've made mine with mozza, monterey jack and other white cheeses, but honestly, those cheese curds are the BEST to use. OM NOM NOM.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
No problem. I probably should not have made any comments about this dish not appealing to me. Sorry.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.