Poutine as Canada's National Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Wendy's came up with an interesting way to get followers on Facebook--launched a "poutition" to make poutine Canada's national dish...wonder how many followers Wendy's has snagged with this advertising campaign?

Poutition.ca

Ah yes, I sometimes tease Canadians about poutine.

Wikipedia says "Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of French fries and fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy or sauce. Sometimes additional ingredients are added."

It sounds kind of yucky to me...

The article goes on to say, "Poutine may also contain other ingredients such as beef, pulled pork or lamb. Atypically, the dish may also include additional ingredients such as lobster meat, rabbit confit, caviar, and truffles."

Okay now that sounds a bit interesting. It's a definite maybe whether I would try it with some additional ingredients.

Maybe Wendy's will snag some "followers" but I doubt that will translate into increased revenue. Poutine is a regional dish. It already failed the test of "going national" or "going international." It would have already spread if it had any potential.

It will be funny if 10 years from now they're serving it at all the major fast food chains in US. I guess I would have to eat my words... along with a helping of poutine! :)

Last edited:
I know that A&W, McDonald's, and other fast food joints serve poutine here. I don't know if chip wagons serve it in other provinces...they do in NB, so that would be three provinces. I can't remember poutine in NS, PEI (oh--lobster poutine...that won on Iron Chef or ?), but I think the chef was from M'treal. The secret is definitely in the gravy and the oil used to fry the fries, as well as how fresh the cheese curds are (St-Albert cheese curds, please). I like salsa-jalepeno peppers, curds on mine, as well as other variations. So, not always gravy. But then, poutine probably isn't any worse for you than deep fried dill pickles or deep-fried oreos...

Last edited:
The epicenter of poutine is in Quebec. Here in Los Angeles, arguably the far corner of North America, the vibrations will not even be felt. Poutine will never make it out of CA other than perhaps a bit of penetration into the US Northeast. If you want to make poutine work in SoCal then you had better find a Latino tempo. It won't work here without salsa.

The epicenter of poutine is in Quebec. Here in Los Angeles, arguably the far corner of North America, the vibrations will not even be felt. Poutine will never make it out of CA other than perhaps a bit of penetration into the US Northeast. If you want to make poutine work in SoCal then you had better find a Latino tempo. It won't work here without salsa.
You can get Italian, Greek, Mexican (with Salsa), hamburger and onions, onion poutine, lobster poutine, the list goes on and on. And, once one is introduced to it, the sky's the limit as to where one takes it. Chorizo + salsa + that white Mexican cheese topped with some pickled jalapenos, maybe slivers of avocado...hmmm...I can taste it.

Last edited:
Yeah but there's every other kind of food including pitas, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc. with onions, lobster, (and as you said the list goes on).

We are far from becoming a "poutine nation." Years from now I doubt if any but a few foodies and Canadians in Los Angeles will ever have heard of poutine.

Ah yes, I sometimes tease Canadians about poutine.

Wikipedia says "Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of French fries and fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy or sauce. Sometimes additional ingredients are added."

It sounds kind of yucky to me...

what planet are you from, greg?

what planet are you from, greg?
I think it is a Canadian advertising campaign that is trying to make poutine to Canadians what apple pie is to Americans, I don't think the campaign includes L.A.;)

LP/Alix--is poutine available in the West? Last time I was out that way was before I was introduced to poutine.

Last edited:
Um...YES! Trust me poutine is very available in every place you look. Its also been available in many of the US restaurants I've been in. I will admit that I'm a purist though. I like my poutine unadulterated by any add-ons.

GG has admitted that he doesn't get to cook as much as he'd like so we'll just have to allow him his foibles about poutine. If he thinks it sounds yucky lets not try to hard to convince him otherwise, more for us. It seems to me that many folks who live in California have odd ideas about food. ;) Kadesma for instance. *giggling madly and running away*

I suspect the real reason that poutine has never caught on in the US is twofold:

1. It sounds too French. The name means nothing to English speakers and the vast majority of people on this side of the border don't know what it is. With a name like poutine, it could contain weird things like goose livers or snails. Now if you simply called it "Gravy Cheese Fries," it would undoubtedly be a hit here.

2. Americans are secretly perturbed that we never thought of it first. ;)

Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.

Steve makes a good point that some Americans would think "poutine" is too weird a word to want to try it, and furthermore French! Many Americans probably never tried quiche for the same reasons. (BTW I'm having quiche for brunch in a few minutes as soon as it's finished baking.)

a version of poutine has most certainly caught on in the u.s.. ever since i was a kid, one of the best drunken foods available in diners at 3am was "disco" fries. french fries topped with gravy and melted cheese of your choice. not exactly a poutine without curds, but a close approximation.

I've never had poutine but it's decadent-sounding enough that I really would like to. The only drawback is that the fries have to get soggy from the gravy and I don't like soggy fries (or other foods that are supposed to be crispy).

that's true, andy. the fries have to be extra crispy to begin with, and it has to be eaten quickly. best shared amongst drinking buddies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had poutine but it's decadent-sounding enough that I really would like to. The only drawback is that the fries have to get soggy from the gravy and I don't like soggy fries (or other foods that are supposed to be crispy).
I wasn't going to tell anyone I did this...but the last time I made poutine, I blanched the fries first, drained, and then dusted the fries in flour, dipped in beaten egg, and then coated them with Panko bread crumbs...(and used peanut oil) the fries stayed crispy, but that made this oh so calorie ladened addiction (yes, poutine is addictive--spring means chip wagons open and poutine is available roadside--the drooling starts when chip wagons put signs up re: opening dates) even more of a "so bad for you" food. Friends who have shared my poutine tell me I should open a chip stand...

I ate poutine for breakfast a couple times the last time I was in northern maine and liked it as a breakfast food just as much as any other time of day. The potatoes used in N Maine and probably the eastern side of Canada are very different than the russets we use for fries in the US.
More like red potato or a yukon gold. Maine-stays were what was farmed locally where I was staying.

I would say it is one of the most popular dishes we saw. Everybody had it available for breakfast lunch or dinner.

I don't remember seeing in on the west coast of Canada when we vacationed in Victoria but I wasn't looking for it either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom