"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

hey, chile Chef, diet can contribute to a flatter stomach, though you also probably wanna exercise. i jog the stairs at school when they're empty.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
hey, chile Chef, diet can contribute to a flatter stomach, though you also probably wanna exercise. i jog the stairs at school when they're empty.
Really? after 3 flights of stairs, I'm a bit winded :(

Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Everymom

Chile Chef, as everyone has already said, exercise it the key. Losing weight is a simple equation, you must burn more calories than you ingest. Simple equation, difficult to do. You MUST move your body and as roadfix said, get your heart muscle pumping. No two ways about it. The food you eat plays a role in that if you choose "empty" calories your body doesn't feel satisfied. So, burger king food is very high in calories but does not satisfy as long as say a homemade pasta with meat sauce. You want to pick meals that will "stick" with you so you don't feel hungry. Eating many smaller portions throughout the day is a good way to do that. Taking a class is a great idea, but if you can't afford that there is a ton of research on the web that will help.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Chile Chef, as everyone has already said, exercise it the key. Losing weight is a simple equation, you must burn more calories than you ingest. Simple equation, difficult to do. You MUST move your body and as roadfix said, get your heart muscle pumping. No two ways about it. The food you eat plays a role in that if you choose "empty" calories your body doesn't feel satisfied. So, burger king food is very high in calories but does not satisfy as long as say a homemade pasta with meat sauce. You want to pick meals that will "stick" with you so you don't feel hungry. Eating many smaller portions throughout the day is a good way to do that. Taking a class is a great idea, but if you can't afford that there is a ton of research on the web that will help.
Thank you alix, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was trying to answer everyone so they didn't feel like they were left out. Any hoo I will do some research on the web and see what I can do, I will also ask my doc and see what he say's.

Thanks for the tips gang
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
...Exersize is the hardest thing I ever had to do.
I hear ya. I hate doing exercise unless it's part of something I otherwise enjoy, like taking my dog for a walk or hiking with friends, etc. BUT, you learn to force yourself to do it because of the benefits you get from it, which make it worth the time and effort.

Exercise has many important health benefits:
  • Exercise burns off the calories you consume, making you lose fat (or allowing you to eat more without gaining weight).
  • Exercise increases muscle tone and mass (making you look better, especially to the opposite sex).
  • Exercise increases your stamina by strengthening your heart and lungs.
  • Exercise lowers your blood pressure.
  • Exercise reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL).
  • Exercise strengthens your body overall and helps it fight off disease disease.
  • Because of all of the above benefits, exercise helps you to live longer and to enjoy life more.
Just do it!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
So the 3 flights of stairs don't count? I climb them 3 day's a week, that's how I lost most of my weight!
Nowhere in your original post was that mentioned. It's a good start though.

But you need to do some sustained aerobic activity on a regular basis.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Head Chef

I still recommend taking a PE class for college credit. It makes one commit to a regularly scheduled workout, one learns more about exercise and health, and it counts towards one's degree. Since you are already taking classes and wish to obtain a degree, it would seem to be the most logical. For what one gets from a PE class, it is a good buy compared to classes at a heath club/gym. Also, one usually can work-out in the school facilities for no cost by merely showing one's college ID.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with what the others have said so far about exercise and diet so I won't repeat their great advice as I think you get the point now.

I will say that you have to give up going to BK or at least drastically cut down. Just about everything there is high in fat and horrible for you. Leave it as a treat for yourself every once in a great while or as an incentive for exercising. Let yourself go there after every X hours of exercise.

I have lost a good amount of weight recently, but I had help. I was very sick for a week so for a period of 7 days I had 2 bowls of soup and one glass of juice and that was it. I do not recommend this as a weight loss technique. However, I lost about 15 lbs which is close to the amount I wanted to lose. Since the weight was off I decided to keep it off so I made a couple of changes.

Change number one, which I think has helped a lot in many ways, is that I have stopped buying junk. When I go to the supermarket I buy meats and veggies and fruits and things like that. I stick to the outside isles and do not venture into the inside isles where the cookies and chips and stuff like that live. If it is not in the house then I don't eat it so I make sure it is not in the house. Instead, I buy lots and lots of fruit. By lots I mean a lot of variety. In one trip I will get bananas, grapes, a few kinds of melons, strawberries, blueberries, plumbs, and sometimes more. Very little if any goes to waste. I snack on that any time I want to snack.

The other thing I did was start to exercise, but not the standard way. I have a Wii and I bought a workout disk, along with the Wii Fit. I make sure to use it every since night. I put in about 30 minutes or so, with plans to increase my time after a short while. 30 minutes for now is just enough to work up a small sweat and once my body and mind is used to the idea of working out I will increase the time to get more out of it. It is a start and that is what I needed. the key will be to continue. And if for some reason I miss a day or two or three I need to not give up on the idea, but get right back into it as soon as possible and continue where I left off.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The other thing I did was start to exercise, but not the standard way. I have a Wii and I bought a workout disk, along with the Wii Fit. I make sure to use it every since night. I put in about 30 minutes or so, with plans to increase my time after a short while. 30 minutes for now is just enough to work up a small sweat and once my body and mind is used to the idea of working out I will increase the time to get more out of it. It is a start and that is what I needed. the key will be to continue. And if for some reason I miss a day or two or three I need to not give up on the idea, but get right back into it as soon as possible and continue where I left off.
Question about the Wii

I don't try to put more time into exercise, but more effort. A mix of walking and running transitions to more running, less walking. Low impact aerobics gives way to higher impact, etc. Is the Wii Fit capable of higher impact, higher exertion activities?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Yes it is vyapti. One of the exercise disks I have is similar to the old Jane Fonda type vcr exercise tapes. There is a leader who takes you through a series of exercises based on what you can handle and the goal you are trying to reach. That disk makes me work VERY hard. After the first day of using it I was so sore it took me over a week to recover. It really got my heart rate up and worked lots of muscles. The Wii fit is less intense, but more fun so I find I use that more. I figure, for me, it is better to do a somewhat less strenuous exercise routine every day (or close to it) than to do a more intense workout, but burn out of it quickly so I stop doing it. The Wii has a number of exercise choices though which can go anywhere from extremely light and easy to very hard working and strenuous.