"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #31
Everymom

Scotch, I think Derek got that message loud and clear. We all were very firm in our suggestions he incorporate exercise. I think now we are encouraging him to steer away from BK as his only meal of the day! ;)

Old 07-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Cheese is closer to nature than say cheez whiz, or a processed cheese slice. When I say cheese, I mean a piece of cheddar or swiss or something like that. It is basically milk that has rennet (a natural enzyme) added to it to make it coagulate (stick together) and the solid stuff is the cheese and the liquid stuff is the whey and its drained off. So...natural. Does that make sense Derek?

Choose veggies and fruits more often than not. Choose meat that is less processed (less deli meat or cured or smoked meat), choose whole grain anything as it hasn't been processed as much to remove all the fiber. The less it is processed the better it is for your body. It will satisfy you longer and give you better nutrition.
It does and thank you very much Alix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
All good and well, but the idea that you can attain good health merely by eating well is a myth. It's only half the formula. Exercise is essential.
It's all good, and I'm still loosing weight Scotch, You know what was cool? My mom asked me over to shoot my nephew in color film, digital, black and white, And we live on a very steep hill which caused me in the past to be helped up the because of my health and my bad ticker, Well since I've lost 3o some pounds I actually ran up the hill, I ran faster then my nephew, mom and my step dad. So it was great and I feel darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
eating only one meal a day is not great for one's metabolism. Again, I recommend that since you are taking classes, seeking a degree, you take a health/wellness/conditioning course and learn from professionals. A nutrition class wouldn't hurt, either. 2 birds, 1 stone: health benefits you are seeking as well as credit for courses taken that could count towards your degree. Cheaper than health clubs and visits to a nutritionist.
But, ya gotta wanna do it...
I may do back packing but I want to ask the instructor about my bad heart. Although I can carry about 50 pounds of gear on me with no problem and 1 extra camera slung over my shoulder, I doughty I can hike for 10 + miles like your hubby can Wyogal!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #33
Head Chef

I was thinking that you ought to learn something about fitness and exercise (and earn college credit for it), of course, consulting with your doctor.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #34
Head Chef

and kudos for losing the weight and running up the hill!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
I was thinking that you ought to learn something about fitness and exercise (and earn college credit for it), of course, consulting with your doctor.
Well back packing is a collage coarse, and you can get 4 academic credits for taking the class, You would be hiking, setting up your tent's, cooking, eating natural "earth supplied food"

Which is cool, but I still want to consult both people.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
and kudos for losing the weight and running up the hill!
Thank you Wyogal, like I said I was never able to run up the hill before and everyone had to help me up and I would be "LONG WINDED" and out of breath for 4-6 minutes and then when I gained my breath back I would say Ok I'm tired and then go take a long nap, So I'm very very happy!

By the way I've replaced beef with fish as a part of my own diet plan.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #37
Head Chef

what do you mean by "earth supplied food?" When my husband backpacks, he does not take from the land. Very impractical.
I was thinking that you ought to try a conditioning class first. They teach you how to exercise, using a variety of techniques.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
what do you mean by "earth supplied food?" When my husband backpacks, he does not take from the land. Very impractical.
I was thinking that you ought to try a conditioning class first. They teach you how to exercise, using a variety of techniques.
I mean earth supplied food, E.G "smelly wild onions, not the non smelly kind, fish, different eatable berries, eatable leaves and so on.

I may take one of those classes in the winter time, So I don't gain my weight back by sitting in front of the pc all winter.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #39
Head Chef

well, that stuff is hard to find on a glacier. : )

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
well, that stuff is hard to find on a glacier. : )
True, but Bear Gills allway's seem to find it "Ponders about his cheating ways again"

He got busted once for cheating on the show.