Question about flour, non-bread related

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I didn’t really know where it’d be appropriate to post this question; feel free to move it to a forum more suited for it.

I’ve pretty much got down what kind of flours to use in baking, but what about using flour in non-baking applications? Does it make a difference whether one uses AP or bread flour when dredging chicken breast cutlets for piccata? Or when making a roux for some Cajun dish?

That was my gut feeling too, but say all I’ve got is bread flour? Will that adversely affect the dredged chicken cutlets or the gumbo?
I buy organic hard and soft wholewheat flours at the health food store. I never have AP flour at home. I can't say that I ever noticed a difference whether it's the hard flour or the soft flour for roux, breading, or dredging.

I buy organic hard and soft wholewheat flours at the health food store. I never have AP flour at home. I can't say that I ever noticed a difference whether it's the hard flour or the soft flour for roux, breading, or dredging.
Thanks!

That was my gut feeling too, but say all I’ve got is bread flour? Will that adversely affect the dredged chicken cutlets or the gumbo?

Sorry, I was assuming you had both. AP is cheaper, use it for non-bread recipes. Save your bread flour for baking bread. But, if it's all you have...use it.

Back
Top Bottom