Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had the most fabulous day yesterday with daughter, SIL, and Tyler. We went to the farmers market up by the Kern River Valley, went out for some very good eats at a tiny little family run diner on the Kern River, then drove on up a little further to the Sequoia National Forest and walked the 'Trail of 100 Giants'. It's a grove of giant Sequoias, and I mean giant. :ohmy: The trail is a little over a mile walk, so it was easy and doable for the little guy. It's a spectacular sight, and was great to get out of the heat here in the valley and enjoy cooler mountain weather.

View attachment 23077

Giant Sequoia
View attachment 23078

To show how massive some of these 1,500 year old trees are, here's my grandson Tyler standing in that same tree from above, and the three of them on another beauty.
View attachment 23079

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had a nice trip out of the heat, Cheryl. Love the pic of Tyler looking so tiny in the hollow of the tree base. :heart:

Sequoia is beautiful, isn't is? Those redwoods sure can make a person feel small in the scheme of things. We were there about a decade ago when Himself had to go for training near LA. He took a week vacation the following week, we picked up our son who was living in Redlands at the time, and visited Sequoia and Yosmite. One of the giant redwoods was smoldering from a gash on its trunk. When our son mentioned it to a ranger back at the visitors' center, he ranger said they just let them burn until they extinguish on their own. :huh: Guess it's a system that works, since most of them have been standing for centuries.

Glad you had a nice trip out of the heat, Cheryl. Love the pic of Tyler looking so tiny in the hollow of the tree base. :heart:

Sequoia is beautiful, isn't is? Those redwoods sure can make a person feel small in the scheme of things. We were there about a decade ago when Himself had to go for training near LA. He took a week vacation the following week, we picked up our son who was living in Redlands at the time, and visited Sequoia and Yosmite. One of the giant redwoods was smoldering from a gash on its trunk. When our son mentioned it to a ranger back at the visitors' center, he ranger said they just let them burn until they extinguish on their own. :huh: Guess it's a system that works, since most of them have been standing for centuries.
Someone told me that by the time the trees are adults, at about 100 years old, they "know" how to handle fire.

Someone told me that by the time the trees are adults, at about 100 years old, they "know" how to handle fire.

I remember when living in Washington, there was a patch of trees in the Nasqually Valley. They had been through a major fire. The bark had some blackening on it. But they were in full leaf. The trees around the perimeter were completely destroyed. They were smaller than the big ones that were just blackened. :angel:

Thank you, Taxy and CG. :)

CG....regarding your comment about feeling small in the scheme of things...yes! We felt SOOO small when we were among those giants, and it was a big part of our discussions for the day. Glad to hear that some of you that are so far from CA now have had the opportunity to see 'the big huge trees', as Tyler calls them. :LOL:

What great pictures Cheryl ! I remember well the thrill of sharing the wonder of those magnificent trees through the eyes of a child. I'm getting misty with the memories.
The scent of the air from them is magical.

Last edited:
Thank you, Kay. It's such a sight to walk among those giant redwoods. And yes, the aroma of cedar and pine is nearly intoxicating - what a glorious day it was!

On our next day trip I want to go up to the ancient bristlecone pine forest. :)

Love the redwood forest. It's an amazing place.

We're on our way home from DH's parents'. Took a picture of Stryder, our year-old rescue Basenji. She decided to join us in the front seat.

What a cute picture! It looks like Stryder has her own coffee, too. :LOL: Hope you all have a nice drive back home, GG.

Thanks :) That's a good word for it, Dawg. I've heard her bark only a couple of times, but she is vocal. The first time I heard her make a noise, I thought she was yawning :LOL:

This evening's sunset. 16 years of sunsets from my front yard and they're always different. I never get tired of seeing the colors the desert sky has to offer. :)

Back
Top Bottom