"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Dog #3 is a Beagle/Australian Cattle Dog cross.
The first dog in my photos, Lucky, is the same mix.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #32
Head Chef

I love all of these stories...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Only when the squirrels tease them...
Squirrels are bullies, they drive the cats nuts, now that they know the cats can't reach them. They even squish their noses on the window to tease the cats.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I love all of these stories...
Me too, makes me a bit teary.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thankfully, beagle is not interested in squirrels. Be vewwy vewwy quiet, she's hunting wabbits. And deer. And cats. (which she dearly loves).
Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Bolas, "...Asia was the dog love of my life, she had been very badly abused and was a complete mental and physical wreck when I got her.Asia actually save my life."

How did that happen?
I bought a very large site for development, I went to have a look with Asia, 3 men one with a knife was trying to steal from me.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #37
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Squirrels are bullies, they drive the cats nuts, now that they know the cats can't reach them. They even squish their noses on the window to tease the cats.
We have a 6' board-on-board fence with a top-cap all around the back yard. The squirrels like to run all along it and tease the dogs. We call it the squirrel superhighway.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #38
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
We have a 6' board-on-board fence with a top-cap all around the back yard. The squirrels like to run all along it and tease the dogs. We call it the squirrel superhighway.
I know what you mean, Dave! Our old house had the same kind of fence and the squirrels would run around driving the dogs nuts. When Joey and Violet barked the squirrels would use the trees to hide and come out on another part of the fence. It was hilarious

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

i have two cats. thomas is eight years old. very shy and only likes me. runs and hides under the bed when anyone comes in the house. i guess you could say he was a rescue , i got him at the animal shelter. he was about two months old. the third day i had him, he got very sick. the shelter treated him for me since he probably got sick there. he still has a scar on his back. they cut too deep for the i.v. hair has never grown there.

the second one is charlie. he just turned a year, april, best i can guess. someone dropped him in my yard. he was about three months old. when he showed up , i gave food and water and left him outside. was really really hot. i hoped someone was looking for him. the third day , he yowled all day, under my neighbors car. so i took him in. he is just a sweet boy (most of the time) one by one i have broken him of biting and scratching me. he loves to be petted but when he had enough, he'd bite me. no more though. the last bad habit is scratching on the side of my bed in the wee hours of the morning. i tried spraying him with water, but it is hard to aim, when i am lying on my back. lately i have been just getting up and throwing him out of my room. hope he gets the drift pretty soon. i don't believe in hitting any animal. i don't think they have a clue why you are hitting them. charlie looks like a rag doll persian. he is huge. thomas is black. was gray in his youth. going backward in his old age.

i love them both so much. they are company for me all the time. their care gets me going in the a.m. i will probably out live thomas, but not charlie. been trying to think of who would take him, if i die before he does. wish i knew how to post pictures, they are both handsome fellas.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

The 3-3-1/2 week old kitty I found on the road today is with kitten rescue tonight--I couldn't keep her here because I didn't have the supplies to bottle feed her. Everything is closed on Sundays in our little village where I could've gotten KMF or bottles. Luckily, I know s/one who does kitten rescue AND there is a nursing mom there--she has accepted said kitty! Even though they have more kittens than they'd like, they found room for just one more.

We had a horrible storm tonight so I was happy that the little one was out of the storm and someplace safe, not to mention, someplace where she could be dry, warm, and getting fed. Why people don't spay or neuter their cats (and dogs) is beyond me.