"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #261
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #262
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
So sad, Dawg.

Someone has too much time on their hands.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #263
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Oh dear. Tonight on NBC News, Lester Holt stated after a thing on Bill Cosby's supposed indiscretions, "On Datetime (not Dateline) NBC Tonight"...
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #264
Master Chef

You know you are getting old when a $20.00 package of ground beef takes you by surprise!

This morning it is cool and I wanted to make a meatloaf so I set out for the local Wegman's to get a couple pounds of ground beef. I normally scan the ground beef looking for the smallest package I can find, usually around 12 ounces. Today I was looking for a larger package and was amazed at the price per package. I ended up with the $20.00 package that nearly scared me to death. How do people feed these shaggy herds of moose that I see loping along next to the grocery carts.

The package was actually a good buy, I ended up with six large burgers and 18 meatballs for the freezer plus a nice size meatloaf.

I guess I need to get up out of my rut more often and take a look around!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #265
Senior Cook

They feed the moose hot dogs and keep the good stuff for themselves. Or restrict the moose to like 1 tablespoon of meat.
Yes, I know people that have actually done both of those things.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #266
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
They feed the moose hot dogs and keep the good stuff for themselves. Or restrict the moose to like 1 tablespoon of meat.
Yes, I know people that have actually done both of those things.
I know some of those folks too and it makes me sad.

When I was a kid if my parents ate steak we ate steak and if my parents ate hot dogs we ate hot dogs, usually the hot dogs won!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #267
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya larn sumpin' new every day.

I never heard of the kids getting something different to eat from the parents. I knew the richer folks ate much later than the kids. I always thought that the kids were being cheated by not being allowed to eat with their parents. How else do you teach kids table manners.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #268
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I know some of those folks too and it makes me sad.

When I was a kid if my parents ate steak we ate steak and if my parents ate hot dogs we ate hot dogs, usually the hot dogs won!
My mother always ate what we did. Matter of fact, that was with others kids too. She refused to eat better than the kids.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 AM   #269
Master Chef

Why is it that I can simmer spaghetti sauce for hours and hours, making the house smell like an Italian restaurant, and the lingering smell doesn't bother me at night - but pop a cup of popcorn at four in the afternoon, and I end up laying in bed smelling that sucker, unable to sleep.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #270
Chef Extraordinaire

Those Losing Scratch Tickets

Spike collects those loser lottery tickets. Here in Mass. the more expensive ones always have a contest connected to them. When he is in a store, he checks the trash can right next to the stand where they scratch those tickets. A lot of times someone will think that they have a losing ticket and throw it away without checking all the numbers.

Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200.

Then he takes those losing tickets and enters them into the second chance contest. Right now I have a complete set of camping equipment for four sitting in my closet waiting for my grandson to come and pick it all up. He won $10,000 one time with seats to a championship playoff. Seats in the Owners box with all the trimmings. He and his son had a great time that night.

He has won tickets to the Patriots games in Foxboro on several occasion. Again seats in the owners box and all kinds of eats. Also there is the tailgate party that the Patriots has for the winners.

I can't begin to tell you how many times he has won over the years he has been doing this. Each night he comes here with Teddy. While I am playing with Teddy, Spike is sitting at my computer and entering these not so loser tickets. Some of the contests require that you hold onto the tickets so that if yours is pulled you can show it. He leaves them here. My window sills look like I have a very serious gambling problem. On others, you don't a have to save the tickets. So he tosses them in my trash. I use to tie them up. Now they go to the trash room and everyone can see them.

The one contest we are waiting for is the one for the World Skating Competition at the Garden. Six nights. Six tickets for each show for two people. Plus all the extras that special guests get. I would take my daughter.
To be continued.