The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG, I'm sorry you guys are bogged down when you need to be getting packed. Hope you feel better soon.

The results of the biopsy are not good. We have another appointment with the oncologist Friday morning. Until then, we're just trying to keep it together. Give your loved ones an extra hug, y'all.
We've pretty much self-diagnosed this to be RSV. 2-3 weeks of cough, no meds to fix it, drink plenty of liquids. I wonder if my wine and Himself's shot (or two) of Bourbon in his tea count...

I am so sorry to hear that your DH's trouble is more trouble. Hang in there - and use us as your crying towel if it makes you feel better. I'm sure I speak for all of us in reminding you of your support system here. Hugs.

I've been feeling crappy for 5 days. It's gotten worse through today. Started out with a cough - no fever. The cough got worse and today a head cold joined the party - still no fever. I gave up this morning and SO drove me to urgent care. In this day of flus, COVID and RSV, I have none of those. Just an old fashioned cold and cough. Still enough to make me miserable. On the plus side, SO made me dinner tonight.

CG, I'm sorry you guys are bogged down when you need to be getting packed. Hope you feel better soon.

The results of the biopsy are not good. We have another appointment with the oncologist Friday morning. Until then, we're just trying to keep it together. Give your loved ones an extra hug, y'all.
GG, I am so sorry to read this. Hugs all around for everyone.

I feel like an idiot. I seem to have blocked out part of what our doctor said. According to the CT report, the masses in his liver are "consistent with metastatic disease." There are also masses in his colon and swollen lymph nodes. He has a liver biopsy scheduled for Friday, January 5. I can't believe this is happening.
I don't know how I missed this.

This kind of news really sucks. GG you and DH are in our thoughts.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your good wishes. The oncologist thinks that the primary cancer is on the outside of the sigmoid colon, so it wouldn't be seen during a colonoscopy. Crazy, isn't it? DH has had colonoscopies on the recommended schedule and got colon cancer anyway. He'll be having a PET scan soon to confirm.

He's going to have a Mediport installed Friday and will begin chemo in the next week or two. He's going to continue to work as long as he can. Fortunately his job is pretty flexible and his office is not far away from home. He doesn't have a lot of appetite, so I haven't been cooking much, but I'll still be checking in here. Love you guys ❤️

@GotGarlic That is crazy. Prayers and warm thoughts for you and your husband. Hopefully he will develop a taste for something. When my mother was going through chemo, she developed a taste for pumpkin ice cream. Daddy ensured she had it available to eat her weight in it. I hope your husband finds something that he craves as well and will help him get through this with flying colors. 🤗 :heart:

@GotGarlic That is crazy. Prayers and warm thoughts for you and your husband. Hopefully he will develop a taste for something. When my mother was going through chemo, she developed a taste for pumpkin ice cream. Daddy ensured she had it available to eat her weight in it. I hope your husband finds something that he craves as well and will help him get through this with flying colors. 🤗 :heart:
He does like congee that I make with chicken legs and thighs. And he bought a giant box of Cocoa Puffs the other day 😁 Doctor said for him to eat whatever he wants, so that's what we'll do!

Prayers and positive thoughts, for you and DH in these troubling times, GG. Hopefully, the chemo treatments will do their thing. Take care of yourself, too.
Thanks, pepper. Last week I started attending a meditation class a neighbor offers and next week I'm going to start going to a yoga class at the senior center here. And today I went to a meeting with my master gardener group. So I'm working on stress relief and keeping up with my volunteer activities. It's weird that my own chronic health issues mean that I don't have to work so I can do these things as well as take care of him.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your good wishes. The oncologist thinks that the primary cancer is on the outside of the sigmoid colon, so it wouldn't be seen during a colonoscopy. Crazy, isn't it? DH has had colonoscopies on the recommended schedule and got colon cancer anyway. He'll be having a PET scan soon to confirm.

He's going to have a Mediport installed Friday and will begin chemo in the next week or two. He's going to continue to work as long as he can. Fortunately his job is pretty flexible and his office is not far away from home. He doesn't have a lot of appetite, so I haven't been cooking much, but I'll still be checking in here. Love you guys ❤️
Sorry to hear it! Sending much love :heart:

DH had the Mediport for the chemo installed Friday. Yeesh, that was a long day. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30 am and didn't leave until 2 pm. Apparently the patient ahead of him experienced complications during their procedure, so DH's was delayed for almost two hours. We were both exhausted yesterday.

Then at about 4:30 pm, on Friday, he received a call from the oncologist's office. His first treatment is scheduled for Monday, the day after tomorrow. He's in pain, is frequently nauseous, and isn't eating much. I really hope this helps him feel better.

I've been running around the house, full of nervous energy, cleaning, purging, rearranging. I guess I'm nesting, to create a comfortable place for him to rest and recover after the treatment.

I really appreciate having this place, where I've known so many of you for so long, to talk about this. Let me know if it too depressing to hear about. Love you 🥰

DH had the Mediport for the chemo installed Friday. Yeesh, that was a long day. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30 am and didn't leave until 2 pm. Apparently the patient ahead of him experienced complications during their procedure, so DH's was delayed for almost two hours. We were both exhausted yesterday.

Then at about 4:30 pm, on Friday, he received a call from the oncologist's office. His first treatment is scheduled for Monday, the day after tomorrow. He's in pain, is frequently nauseous, and isn't eating much. I really hope this helps him feel better.

I've been running around the house, full of nervous energy, cleaning, purging, rearranging. I guess I'm nesting, to create a comfortable place for him to rest and recover after the treatment.

I really appreciate having this place, where I've known so many of you for so long, to talk about this. Let me know if it too depressing to hear about. Love you 🥰
Never should you feel like you can't tell us and share. I know I'm fairly new still but my heart goes out to you and your DH. My MIL is going through the same thing but she opted to not receive any treatment (had tumors removed but no chemo) and now the cancer is back and she's in a lot of pain.

Keeping 10000000% hopes and sending positive thoughts that your DH beats this and quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom