The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hang in there, Addie...

You certainly have experienced more medical issues than I have.. I admire your strength and perseverance.. :)

Ross

Well, I got the news yesterday. The doctor will not do the surgery. He feels that my heart couldn't handle the anesthesia. So they are going to treat my legs medically. That could take months.

Is this not good news Addie? I thought the surgery was to amputate your leg. Treating it medically sure sounds like a good call by comparison, even if it takes months.
Am I missing something?

Is this not good news Addie? I thought the surgery was to amputate your leg. Treating it medically sure sounds like a good call by comparison, even if it takes months.
Am I missing something?

No, you haven't missed anything. The doctor, due to my three heart attacks and other health issues, is not willing to take the risk of surgery. For amputation or plastic surgery. So in a slight good way, it is good news. He thinks that in time I can heal myself. It is just that it may be months before I am completely healed. All three wounds have already started to create new growth of skin. So the wounds are slowly getting smaller. In it own way, that is GREAT NEWS. I wanted the surgery. In just five days I would have been back to the way I was walking. Now it will be a couple of months.

But the pain level is still the same. They upped my pain meds to Oxycodeon. And that scares the hell out of me. This is the drug that has played a major role in the drug problems that our country is now facing.

I do have a very high tolerance to pain. Always have. So I wait until the pain leaves me exhausted, before I will take one of the pills. I DO NOT want to become addicted to them.

I talked to my son Poo last night. He is the PA. He is in total agreement with the doctor's decision. "Ma, you are eighty years old, have a lousy heart, and other medical issues. You are now too old for surgery!" I had to correct him. I will be 79 years old in March, not 80. But I couldn't argue with him on any of the other issues he brought up.

I trust his judgement. And if he says I am too old, I guess I am. So I am happy for the new growth of tissue that I have going on.

Ogres in distress!

Chemo and Radiation Didn't Work! Had Shrek into the Urologist and personally saw the tumor during the Cystoscopy on the 22nd of January. Went into surgery, again, on the 31st, it was the same cancer growing rampantly around the old, dead tumor. Tumor removed, again, and chemo drug placed in his bladder. On the 9th we go back to the Urologist to discuss Shrek's options.

Meanwhile I can't get him to eat anything, he only drinks 2 Boosts and multiple Pepsi's a day. I'm offering food, anything he would like and I'm willing to drive 60 miles round trip to pick it up. No luck. Good thing I like what I do bring home for him.

We (I) need the good wishes and prayers once again.

Chemo and Radiation Didn't Work! Had Shrek into the Urologist and personally saw the tumor during the Cystoscopy on the 22nd of January. Went into surgery, again, on the 31st, it was the same cancer growing rampantly around the old, dead tumor. Tumor removed, again, and chemo drug placed in his bladder. On the 9th we go back to the Urologist to discuss Shrek's options.

Meanwhile I can't get him to eat anything, he only drinks 2 Boosts and multiple Pepsi's a day. I'm offering food, anything he would like and I'm willing to drive 60 miles round trip to pick it up. No luck. Good thing I like what I do bring home for him.

{{{PF and Shrek}}} I'm nearly speechless, other than to say you will both be in my daily prayers. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

PF, my heart goes out to you and Shrek. You are both in my thoughts and prayers big time. I know how much you love Shrek and this is not an easy time as you watch him go through all of this.

When My Mom was going through her surgeries, chemo, and radiation, about the only things that appealed to her, were ice cream, jello, and pudding. I made sure there was always lots of all of it at their place so Dad didn't have to worry about it. I don't know if that helps Shrek, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I'm so sorry, PF {{{Princess and Shrek}}}. Sending you my love and best wishes for a better result [emoji813]

After PF's post about Shrek, I feel a little trivial bringing this up, but I once again have the skin infection, cellulitis in my legs - both of them this time. They are not starting with IV anti-biotic this time for which I am relieved. I hope it doesn't get to that.

Then on top of that, we go tomorrow to the oncologist to get the results of the latest ultrasound and MRI on my breast. I have been telling myself since this all started in April that there is nothing to worry about and in June when the biopsy came back benign, I was relieved.

Then they called to set up the new tests because there are actually 2 lumps and they are more worried about the second one.

I have been calm about this whole thing...until today and now I am nervous. I know a lot of it is the extra pain I am having from my legs, but I have a large family history of breast cancer.

Princess, LPB - Wings and wings are headed your way. Always in my thoughts.

All of you, Addie too, hang in there. It just proves you are doing the right thing by loosening these thoughts for others to help you bear the burden.

No, you haven't missed anything. The doctor, due to my three heart attacks and other health issues, is not willing to take the risk of surgery. For amputation or plastic surgery. So in a slight good way, it is good news. He thinks that in time I can heal myself. It is just that it may be months before I am completely healed. All three wounds have already started to create new growth of skin. So the wounds are slowly getting smaller. In it own way, that is GREAT NEWS. I wanted the surgery. In just five days I would have been back to the way I was walking. Now it will be a couple of months.

I assume you mean you wanted a skin graft surgery. With amputation, you'd never walk again. Both of us are too old for general anesthesia if we can help it. Did he tell you it can be done without it?
I'd assume it can be done, as when I was 50yrs old I elected to have a total abdominal hysterectomy without general anesthesia. I was a smoker then so it was a good choice. I was really drugged up, goofy and chatty. I was aware of what was going on and asked if this was anything like gutting a chicken. That's when they nicely asked me to be quiet. :LOL:

Last edited:
Princess, LPB - Wings and wings are headed your way. Always in my thoughts.

All of you, Addie too, hang in there. It just proves you are doing the right thing by loosening these thoughts for others to help you bear the burden.

Thank you Dragnlaw. What Princess and Shrek are going through right now makes my problems trivial.

Princess, when my daughter was on chemo, she was taking the pills. They made her so sick. Every day her husband would call me and ask me what he could fix for her to eat. The day I said a poached egg on toast, she ate. Don't give up hope. The Boost as you know is full of nutrition. So he is not starving his body. His body will tell him when he needs further nutrition. Fix a tray for yourself, set yourself down beside him and eat your meal. If he wants just a bite of anything that looks good to him, give it to him. I would also suggest you leave the rest of that food on your plate incase he wants another "Just a bite." You might even turn your plate around so he can reach that "just a bite."

We are all praying for the both of you. This is one time there is no need to ask for them.

I assume you mean you wanted a skin graft surgery. With amputation, you'd never walk again. Both of us are too old for general anesthesia if we can help it. Did he tell you it can be done without it?
I'd assume it can be done, as when I was 50yrs old I elected to have a total abdominal hysterectomy without general anesthesia. I was a smoker then so it was a good choice. I was really drugged up, goofy and chatty. I was aware of what was going on and asked if this was anything like gutting a chicken. That's when they nicely asked me to be quiet. :LOL:

Yes, a skin graft. No, he didn't tell me about doing it without anesthesia. I have had skin graft surgery before. But that was ten years ago. It was about as complicated as this one would be if he had chosen to do it. The ulcer on my left leg is so small, that it should be healed in a week or two. I still have two others on my right leg and together, they aren't as painful as that little one. It is right on my Achilles Heel. Oh Joy!!! But I am in a lot better place than Princess and Shrek. So no complaints from me.

If I had to have the amputation, I would have received a prostheses. Then physical therapy on how to walk with it.

With amputation, I would have had to have anesthesia. So I fail to see why I can't have it now.

Big hugs of hope to you and Shrek, PF.

And hugs to LP and Addie.

Last edited:

[FONT=&quot]A Prayer for Complete Healing[/FONT]
May the One who was a source of blessing for our ancestors, bring blessings of healing upon Shrek, a healing of body and a healing of spirit. May those in whose care they are entrusted, be gifted with wisdom and skill, and those who surround them, be gifted with love and trust, openness and support in their care. And may they be healed along with all those who are in need. Blessed are You, Source of healing. Amen.

Shrek is in the hospital, he became mostly unresponsive and I called 911. Dehydration and Acute Renal Failure...I guessed right. Some IV fluids , vitamins and minerals and he was feeling much better, actually ate 1/3 of the tray they brought him. Being in the hospital is scaring him into waking him up and participating. Bedtime for me...if I sleep.

Thanks for the prayers, good thoughts and Dragonettes. They are helping...Dragon the 'nettes ate three dozen eggs I had left out, they're napping with full tummies. Must have been a bad storm they flew through.:wub:

Last edited:
PF, my heart aches for your troubles. You and Shrek are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope Shrek behaves himself and listens to you. May he recover quickly.

LP, I hope your issues clear up soon. Sending prayers up for you, too.

Back
Top Bottom