"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Thankfulness Club

She loves her dad, plain and simple. Not obligatory visits. And of course, your cooking!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #142
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, I would certainly hope I'm not being a burden to my daughter, or that she's only visiting me because of some sense of family obligation.

On the contrary, she seems to miss my cooking most because, oftentimes, the first thing out of her mouth when she visits is "What are we doing for dinner?" (her mother doesn't really cook)
I hope this was not in response to my post? As mentioned, I did say 'willingly'.
Nevertheless, it was great to get my life back when the time eventually came to do so.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #143
Senior Cook

I'm thankful for my son's and granddaughter, and others. I've been blessed with good friends and sometimes don't appreciate them.

I'm thankful I found a church I love.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #144
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I didn't realise my post would be misunderstood. Perhaps I should have mentioned that, although my mother and I were poles apart in our beliefs, in the 2 years that I was her full time carer, we became very close. We also found that we had much in common also e.g. cooking, current affairs and gardening.

I consider myself quite a good cook and, although she invariably sat at the table saying she had no appetite, she nearly always finished off quite a large plate of food!

Old 03-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #145
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I just perused Facebook. So many of my friends are suffering physical problems. Many health issues. I feel blessed that I am upright and relatively healthy. And I have a beagle.
Same here. Only I have Teddy without the work or walking involved.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
It's great when you see relations 'stepping up to the plate' as it were.

We all visit her regularly - she is one of the lucky ones there...so many do not have visitors for whatever reasons.
So true here also. Although in this building you have to be self sufficient in order to live here. I guess a lot of the children think that if Mom or Dad are taking care of themselves, they don't need a visit. Oh how wrong. Loneliness is the worst illness of all.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #147
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So true here also. Although in this building you have to be self sufficient in order to live here. I guess a lot of the children think that if Mom or Dad are taking care of themselves, they don't need a visit. Oh how wrong. Loneliness is the worst illness of all.
Ruling out location, i.e. that their children may live far away, I think consideration of parents develops more with age. It is more to be expected that young adults will be more self centred.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ruling out location, i.e. that their children may live far away, I think consideration of parents develops more with age. It is more to be expected that young adults will be more self centred.
At our age, most of us have children in their 40's and up. So there is no excuse for neglect. Sure some are located on the other side of the country. Those are the ones who always show up for holidays. The ones that live in the same part of the city or just around the corner, can't be bothered.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #149
Head Chef

Today I am thankful for being able to walk briskly without any hip twinges (that stop me in my tracks)!
Felt great!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #150
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's awesome, creative!