"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Cook

You might be able to re-acquire Miyauchi binos eBay. Don't give up all hope. On that site you could probably even buy an elephant!

If I remember right, the Miyauchi were big and had magnificent fluorite optics. Might they have been the Bj-1001's? If so, those were outstanding, the 'BF' version, and getting close to the Holy Grail, though were very heavy so would need tripod support.

We make mistakes and regret them. But thats life, though I hope you can find them again. Do tell me if you are successful.

Jill

Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Funny thing is, I sold them on Ebay about 6 years ago....lol...

Although I'm no longer into astronomy I still visit the local observatories regularly. My weekly cycling loop from my home takes me right up to the Griffith Observatory and back the other side, about 30 miles total. Another ride (about twice yearly) takes us up to the Mt. Wilson observatories, a little further away from where I live.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Cook

Interesting! But where is the Griffith Observatory? It looks a most impressive place.

The nearest observatory to me is at Herstmonceux in East Sussex.

WELCOME | THE OBSERVATORY SCIENCE CENTRE

I hope to do a talk there in February 2011.

You also have a very nice bicycle I see. I bet you fly along!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Great picture roadfix. Did you take that shot? I bet it work very well in black an white too.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks GB, yes I took that pic with my tiny point & shoot camera that I always carry with me in my cycling jersey pocket.

Thanks Moon F, cycling is my passion and has been for many, many years. Except for the frame, I build them from scratch, including lacing the wheels. I've done brevets and multi-day self-supported tours. These days, the regular training rides keep my waistline in check....lol...
Griffith Observatory is in Los Angeles. Besides being a tourist attraction, it is only used for solar and planetary observations for the most part, I believe.

Here's another pic with the observatory and downtown LA in the background.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Cook

Gosh that is a super photo! Especially your bike. Your craft in butting the tubes looks perfect. Such craftsmanship in bikes like yours over here would cost a bomb. I bet it rides as sweet as a nut. Alas, the traffic in my town is so bad that I am forbidden to ride mine. But I take it offroad as its a mountain bike. I just love riding out in the sticks but always ride with friends.

The Griffith Observatory at least is high enough to cut through the smog of LA. One day when I achieve my Doctorate, I shall visit.

Thank you so much for sharing your keen interest.

Jill