Tis' (almost) the season..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I almost forgot-the song "Pretty Paper" I don't know who did it originally, but we have a version by Reverend Horton Heat (seriously) that is very nice.

Oh and he also covers Buck Owens "Santa looked a lot like daddy"-that one always puts a smile on my face too.

I will definitely check it out! Did you check out the link in my post? If you had told me a few years ago that I was going to buy a Christmas CD by a group called the Barenaked Ladies, I would have told you you were nuts! That is an absolutely beautiful rendition of that song though!

:)Barbara

Barbara, way to support those Canadian artists! ;)

i bought the first gift last night but no music. can't even remember what i have. i have one of those that hold 150 cds so would have to scroll through.

sewing gifts have to be bought early, so i can get them done. got stuff for a baby quilt for youngest great granddaughter . christmas eve is her birthday, very premature one . she is doing just great, our christmas miracle we call georgia. :cool:

I usually buy gifts throughout the year when I see something someone will like. I never wrap them until I am ready to send them though, as I would forget what half of the stuff was!

Oh I almost forgot-the song "Pretty Paper" I don't know who did it originally, but we have a version by Reverend Horton Heat (seriously) that is very nice.

Oh and he also covers Buck Owens "Santa looked a lot like daddy"-that one always puts a smile on my face too.

Pretty Paper - Roy Orbison
Pretty paper, pretty ribbons of blue...

I can not tolerate Christmas music of any kind. I lost the love of my life during the holiday season and it brings back to many bad memories. I can't wait till all of the ho,ho hos are gone from the sean. Yes I am very bitter and a first class grinch.

I'm sorry Dave. It must be hard on you. We lost my mom right before Christmas, and James lost his mom at Christmas and his dad at Thanksgiving (all several or more years ago). We love to remember the good years before those bad ones. Our moms each made Christmas really good in our homes.

I love most Christmas music, I'm not too selective. I love the traditional songs like Drummer Boy, White Christmas, Silent Night, and really love Mary Did You Know - though I'm not very religious AT all! I could listen to Christmas music probably all year long, there's a certain warmth that I get from it. Even for people that don't believe in Jesus, or really get why Christmas is celebrated (without getting into the whole man-made "traditions") it seems to me that people are friendlier during the holidays, they are a little more respectful and courteous to their fellow human beings - it's nice to see. :)

I have such a diversity of Christmas music, anywhere from Bing Crosby, Trisha Yearwood, Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Alan Jackson and SO many more! I love it all!!!

Ack! Christmas creep gets worse every year! It's still September!

Next year let's just start in January, what do you say?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need that Christmas "fix" halfway through the year!

When i was a teenager me and my brother use to have a fake christmas on 1st september and call it "september day" because we needed a christmas fix!!!! Sadly my hubby wont keep up the tradition!!

The Christmas Hymn, "Oh Holy Night", always cuts straight to my heart. First of all, because it is so strong in the whole meaning of Christmas, and even more so because of something that happened many years ago and has stuck with me. We were in Junior High and preparing for our school Christmas Concert. A good friend of mine had a beautiful voice and was set to sing the song and play guitar. Two days before the concert her mother died very suddenly. The teacher was trying to decide if he should get someone else to sing it or just take it out when my friend said no, she wanted to do it for her Mom, but would prefer if someone else would play for her. Several of us got together and I played autoharp while two others played guitar. There was not a dry eye in the place as her sweet voice belted out the words "Fall on your knees, oh hear the angel's voices". I am actually tearing up writing this. She had gotten her lovely voice from her Mom and that was her tribute back. I have never heard it sung so beautifully since.

Laurie, That's one of my favorites too, and always gets to me. But now even more so. I don't think I'll ever forget your story when I hear the song again. Thank you.

I can not tolerate Christmas music of any kind. I lost the love of my life during the holiday season and it brings back to many bad memories. I can't wait till all of the ho,ho hos are gone from the sean. Yes I am very bitter and a first class grinch.

I don't blame you.:(
I lost MOST feeling for Christmas after my momma died. But, because it was her favorite holiday and time of year, I still love the music, because, it brings back my Christmas's with her. She always had the music playing on the record player.

TransSiberian Orchestra is one of my favorites.
That is the only Christmas music I will listen to. Trans Siberian is coming to Charlotte but in October so I won't be going. I'm definitely in the HATE, HATE, HATE category. I had a mother whose birthday was December 8th so we never played a note of Christmas music before that date. Now you hear it before Halloween. It just doesn't work for me. There is something about TSO, Jeff Foxworthy's "12 Redneck Days of Christmas", and Montgomery Gentry's "Christmas With the Family" that I do love. And you'll never hear me admit it again, but I love "Christmas Shoes" ~ I can't help but cry everytime I hear it.

...I love "Christmas Shoes" ~ I can't help but cry everytime I hear it.
The first time I ever heard "Christmas Shoes" was on the way to the airport the day after my mom's funeral. I absolutely love that song. Every time I hear it, the tears just pour. I feel really good about where my mom is now, but listening to that song is one of my "I miss you Mama" moments, and it is very special to me.

:neutral:Barbara

The first time I ever heard "Christmas Shoes" was on the way to the airport the day after my mom's funeral. I absolutely love that song. Every time I hear it, the tears just pour. I feel really good about where my mom is now, but listening to that song is one of my "I miss you Mama" moments, and it is very special to me.

:neutral:Barbara
Sorry, I hate that song:angel: Should have bought her a dress or earrings or SOMETHING other than shoes.

I like to listen to Christmas music, but not until at least the beginning if Dec. As for the holiday itself, It drives me crazy. Everyone has come to expect gifts., and like most people I can't afford to get everyone things, I've resorted to making packages of cookies,bread,and fudge. Some of the family think I'm just being cheap. Where they buy presents and let their bills go, I pay bills first and work with what I have left. They just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom