"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #1881
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Follow up:

I spoke to the lady in the office just now, and she told me not to worry about it: They will take care of it.

I'm still shaking from having to repeat everything, but I'll be okay once I calm down.

Thanks so very much for the emotional support.
(((hugs)))

It sounds like it was worrying you more than you realized. I have heard a theory that you should repeat the story until the words no longer have an emotional impact on you.

I'm glad the office is going to take care of it for you.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1882
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Still keep your guard up, but don't let it ruin your peace. Make sure you do a follow up with the woman in the office in about a week. Call up your inner strengh. And take some deep breaths. Good Luck.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #1883
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Follow up:

I spoke to the lady in the office just now, and she told me not to worry about it: They will take care of it.

I'm still shaking from having to repeat everything, but I'll be okay once I calm down.

Thanks so very much for the emotional support.
These things are always unsettling but, you are doing the right thing!

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "what one has to do usually can be done"
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1884
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Follow up:

I spoke to the lady in the office just now, and she told me not to worry about it: They will take care of it.

I'm still shaking from having to repeat everything, but I'll be okay once I calm down.

Thanks so very much for the emotional support.
I'm so glad you have reported this thing. Over the years, I've had two times that someone got weird like that on me. Both times, I sat the person down and had a heart to heart talk with them about it. Both times, I never saw the person again. My way only works if you can back it up with physical action. Your way of handling it was the wisest.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #1885
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'm so glad you have reported this thing. Over the years, I've had two times that someone got weird like that on me. Both times, I sat the person down and had a heart to heart talk with them about it. Both times, I never saw the person again. My way only works if you can back it up with physical action. Your way of handling it was the wisest.
Wise advice.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1886
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Still keep your guard up, but don't let it ruin your peace. Make sure you do a follow up with the woman in the office in about a week. Call up your inner strengh. And take some deep breaths. Good Luck.
Good advice.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1887
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good advice.

As I stated before, I have been there, done that. Do not wish to repeat it ever again. And I can still get upset when I hear of someone else going through it. It can take over your whole life. Our stalker is still locked up in a mental institution. My granddaughter was 17 at the time and now in her mid 30's with three children. Even she gets upset when she thiniks about it. This is something that does not leave you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #1888
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
So I am sitting here with the TV on and not paying much attention to what they are showing. And then one of those ads for a new glucometer comes on stating that you no longer have to prick your finger. You can now do it on your arm. These people are just hawking their merchandise. They are not medical folks. Yet they are giving out medical advice.

I questioned my doctor about this practice of doing it on the arm. He told me, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." Now I know pricking the finger hurts. So I do mine on the cushions at the bottom of the fingers. One day I decided to test this. So I did a reading from my finger directly. Then I did one on my arm. There was a 15 point difference. And guess which one was lower. You guessed it. The arm. Fifteen points is a big difference. If your finger show 195 and your arm show 180, you are lulled into thinking you are in the safe zone. And you adjust our diet for the day accordingly.

Why hasn't the FDA picked up on this? They are giving medical advice. One of my pet peeves.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #1889
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So I am sitting here with the TV on and not paying much attention to what they are showing. And then one of those ads for a new glucometer comes on stating that you no longer have to prick your finger. You can now do it on your arm. These people are just hawking their merchandise. They are not medical folks. Yet they are giving out medical advice.

I questioned my doctor about this practice of doing it on the arm. He told me, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." Now I know pricking the finger hurts. So I do mine on the cushions at the bottom of the fingers. One day I decided to test this. So I did a reading from my finger directly. Then I did one on my arm. There was a 15 point difference. And guess which one was lower. You guessed it. The arm. Fifteen points is a big difference. If your finger show 195 and your arm show 180, you are lulled into thinking you are in the safe zone. And you adjust our diet for the day accordingly.

Why hasn't the FDA picked up on this? They are giving medical advice. One of my pet peeves.
My Doc told me point-blank to not use anything but the finger test. He said the arm tests were notoriously inaccurate.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #1890
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
My Doc told me point-blank to not use anything but the finger test. He said the arm tests were notoriously inaccurate.

Like my doc said, "The nearer the finger, the more accurate the reading." After a while you build up a callous and the pain lessens. My diabetes has affected my blood flow. So I can never get enough for the strip. So I use the cusion at the bottom of the fingers.

I don't understand how these companies can get away with giving false medical information.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.