"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #2521
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1 to both.

Had to giggle yesterday. Called Verizon, had a horrible connection. Could barely understand the lady. And this was a phone company!
A lot of businesses use VoIP to save money. These connections often break up/drop/have a delay rate that breaks up speech and makes it impossible to understand what the person is saying. I won't go wireless for that reason--a landline is a much better connection and, hard as it is for some to grasp, not everyone lives where there is 4G coverage. Wireless is much more reliable in metropolitan areas--I can guarantee you, that the coverage available where my parents live in northern MN is almost none existent and calls drop all the time.

I can slow down the message, replay it, pause it, but when it is that garbled, I'd have to make a tape of it and take it to a CSI lab for analysis to get rid of the extra noise.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2522
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you have a phone that doesn't need power to make a call, then a landline works when the power is out.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2523
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Changing the topic--I get so annoyed with people who leave me a message but don't repeat the phone # twice. I have a digital answering machine--sometimes when people call using cell phone, the person breaks up at some point and all I get is a garbled message. If someone else leaves a message after that one, I can't do *69 to get the last numbered called. Hi name, its garble, garble, garble, can you call me back at garble garble 5555 ext 555? Thanks! When I leave a message using my cell phone, I always repeat the number 2x and I send off an email to confirm that I left a voice message in case the person didn't get it. If a person doesn't call you back, it might be that the message was garbled and the person couldn't get your number. I don't have call display or caller ID, I have just basic phone service as a cost-savings measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In the same vein, I wish people would say the number slowly. Yes, you know your phone number; yes you have said it a thousand times, but please don't race through it.

I have call answer. I can back up the message and play it slower. I hate doing that seven times to get the phone number.

I always slow down to say my phone number and I say it a second time.
And a phone number has no O's in it, it has 0's. Not two-oh-oh-six, it's two-zero-zero-six. If you want me to understand, spik Englis plz.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #2524
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

And a phone number has no O's in it, it has 0's. Not two-oh-oh-six, it's two-zero-zero-six. If you want me to understand, spik Englis plz.
The "O" thing kind of bugs me too. It's hard to misunderstand when someone says ZERO!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #2525
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom's visiting and I have been dreading it. My mom is one of the sweetest people on the planet. Trouble is, she's very emotionally high strung, even more so since my dad passed last fall. I have a hard time not being affected by others emotions, especially those that I'm close to. I have no problem separating my emotions from those of friends and co-workers, but when it comes to people I love, it affects me bad. I don't get depressed easily, but when she comes for a visit, I just can't seem to dig myself out of this slump. I hate it. Add to that, one of her dogs is sick, these two little dogs helped get her through losing dad, she can't lose one now, it is too soon. She has friends taking great care of her dogs, making sure that the sick one is being taken to the vet (who is also a friend).

I went into this visit thinking things would be different, but this feeling of dread is taking over. I feel so guilty when she leaves that I didn't do enough to make her trip fun, even though she tells me how much she enjoys herself.

I'm a mess, family is the only ones that can make me feel this way.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #2526
Chef Extraordinaire

(((Hugs Bakechef)))

Keep checking in here and we'll try to keep you cheered up.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #2527
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
My mom's visiting and I have been dreading it. My mom is one of the sweetest people on the planet. Trouble is, she's very emotionally high strung, even more so since my dad passed last fall. I have a hard time not being affected by others emotions, especially those that I'm close to. I have no problem separating my emotions from those of friends and co-workers, but when it comes to people I love, it affects me bad. I don't get depressed easily, but when she comes for a visit, I just can't seem to dig myself out of this slump. I hate it. Add to that, one of her dogs is sick, these two little dogs helped get her through losing dad, she can't lose one now, it is too soon. She has friends taking great care of her dogs, making sure that the sick one is being taken to the vet (who is also a friend).

I went into this visit thinking things would be different, but this feeling of dread is taking over. I feel so guilty when she leaves that I didn't do enough to make her trip fun, even though she tells me how much she enjoys herself.

I'm a mess, family is the only ones that can make me feel this way.
{{{{bakechef}}}} I survived an extremely difficult mom visit. You will too! Family is much harder to put up with than friends or aquaintances. Best of luck, and have some fun!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #2528
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to the doctor because of a very sore wrist/lower arm. Lots of things I couldn't do with that hand. The doctor gave me a 'script for Voltaren, which is helping.

My vent is the danged child proof bottle the pills are in. It's so hard to open with a sore hand, that I put it, open, inside of a larger glass jar with a screw top.

I wish I had noticed while I was still at the pharmacy. Kind of ironic that the pills to make my sore hand better are in a pill bottle that makes the sore hand worse.

I have much more sympathy for folks with arthritis now.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #2529
Executive Chef

Hi, Bakechef. As sad as things are for others in your life, you are not responsible for their happiness. Trying your best is nothing to feel guilty about it. Choose to be happy and satisfied with what you do for your loved ones. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #2530
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks all.

Rocklobster, I think that you may have hit on something. My chosen "family" are people that aren't emotionally needy, we just have an amazing time together, I rarely feel like I'm responsible for their good time, it just happens. My family is a very different dynamic, one that I don't have to deal with often since they live so far away.

Add to that I am getting ready for a rough 11 days at work. We have a vacation coming up on the 18th so I need to hold on until then!