"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #2961
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, all! Will try some plain rice if she can't keep her lamb and rice food down. She will definitely go to the vet as soon as I can get her in. The beautiful Sheltie across the street sucumbed to pancreatic cancer, they had to put him down. The Chesapeke Bay Retriever next door had bone cancer, and was an amputee, they lost her a few years ago. Now another neighbor's 15 yo mutt is suddenly gaining weight around her heart and lungs from fluid, and she will have to be put to sleep.

Sad dog day around here.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #2962
Chef Extraordinaire

DL--she's definitely got some sort of bug. Dogs do not throw up for 3 days in a row if not sick. They can be off their food for 24 hours and be back on, but 3 days is unusual. Is she drinking water? With the heat and vomiting, I'd be worried about dehydration. Hopefully you can get her in to the vet in the morning.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #2963
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
DL--she's definitely got some sort of bug. Dogs do not throw up for 3 days in a row if not sick. They can be off their food for 24 hours and be back on, but 3 days is unusual. Is she drinking water? With the heat and vomiting, I'd be worried about dehydration. Hopefully you can get her in to the vet in the morning.
Thanks, CWS. She's drinking water, in A/C, and goes on walks when it cools off at night. I haven't changed her food, she just blorps it up. On the carpet, of course.

I did figure out the best puke cleaner-upper. Cut a cheap paper plate in half, and use as a scraper. Half to scrape, other half to receive.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #2964
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
she just blorps it up.
Blorps--learning new words here has improved my life immensely.

I have to tell you about my special skill, with kids, dogs and cats, I make it my life's mission to catch it before it hits the carpet. The best was, when my son ate blue jello with gummi worms, seriously, green blorp, I caught it before it hit the carpeting.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #2965
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

Blorps--learning new words here has improved my life immensely.

I have to tell you about my special skill, with kids, dogs and cats, I make it my life's mission to catch it before it hits the carpet. The best was, when my son ate blue jello with gummi worms, seriously, green blorp, I caught it before it hit the carpeting.
:rolf: Blissful, that is indeed impressive! We are entering you in the DC Olympic Blorp Saving Competition!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #2966
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Beagle is not feeling well. She's thrown up her food for the last 3 days, (always on the carpeted areas of course), feels hot, and seems lethargic. Will make a vet appt. tomorrow.

I hope you get her into the office soon. Our miniature schnauzer has liver issues and sometimes get sick if she gets sick and throws up too. Our vet has us give her 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid table in the morning about an hour before we feed her. That and bland food (rice, plain yogurt, baby food) for a few days usually gets her back on track.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #2967
Head Chef

Quote:
:rolf: Blissful, that is indeed impressive! We are entering you in the DC Olympic Blorp Saving Competition!
Good to know. Will I be competing against the Canadian Competition (CWS--I just know it will be you.)?

Oh shoot, and forgot about the UK competition, probably Bolas or his brother. Really stiff competition. I need practice.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #2968
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD

I hope you get her into the office soon. Our miniature schnauzer has liver issues and sometimes get sick if she gets sick and throws up too. Our vet has us give her 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid table in the morning about an hour before we feed her. That and bland food (rice, plain yogurt, baby food) for a few days usually gets her back on track.
Good to know. Thought about a piece of Pepto Bismal tablet, but that has aspirin. Will see what the vet says.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #2969
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a vet, but does she blorp (love the word) immediately after eating? Does she blorp only in the a.m. or 5-6 hours after eating? Is it regurgitated food, look like coffee grounds, slimy, or is it yellow bile?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #2970
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It looks like her dry food, only wet. She blorps several hours after eating.

She's had several behavioral changes too. She barks at cats and coyotes, and watches for them constantly. I'm wondering if she's stressed by this. She's not a dog who usually barks.