"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #321
Honey Badger

DMV's automated voice just annoyed me. " I'm sorry can you repeat your request?" I gave them the answer that they told me to give! What a run around. The local office has no # to call and talk with a real human.

The earliest I could get in by appointment would be Feb 4th. I'm going to take the chance and go as a walk in on Thursday. It's a definite 6 to 8 week turn around time. New laws. That doesn't help me now.

Well fine called my agent. He told me not to sweat it. Send him a faxed copy of my renewed license and he'd make sure that I'm not dropped. But did let me know because it was past the 30 expiration date ( April ) that I lost my good driver status. That's an additional $120.00 a year. Nobody told me anything. It's just as well though. I wasn't able to drive in April anyways. No way could I have been able to get to DMV to renew.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #322
Master Chef

Funny, for the past year, no mice. No pet food (no pets), no mice.

My latest is the frustration of being everyone's confident. I love these friends and relatives, I really do. I know it is flattering that they feel able to tell me their problems. I have wide shoulders (literally and figuratively), but for some reason they come in waves. I know they confide in me because their problems won't go further than my front door (a biggie when you live in a small town). Every once in awhile I can do or say something to help, but mostly I'm just a listening ear. Still, there is a certain emotional weight to being "dear Abby". Once in awhile someone "confides" something to me that they've also confided to 15 of their other closest personal friends. WHen it becomes common gossip; they're mad at ME. Huh? Heck, I don't even know someone interested in this, sure as heck didn't sit there talking about it. Recently it was a sib. I told them that if it was someone in our family, I really do not want to know. I'm tired of being in trouble because I know peoples' secrets. It was the downside of my holidays. Everyone needs someone to talk to, and yes, I appreciate that they think I'm a good person to talk to. But every once in awhile (it seems to come in waves), I feel I should have had a sex change and become a priest. Can I set up a confessional in my back yard?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #323
Everymom

Claire, start charging psychologist rates and I bet you will have peace and quiet in no time!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #324
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Claire, start charging psychologist rates and I bet you will have peace and quiet in no time!
You could hang a sign in your backyard like Lucy in Peanuts, "Psychiatry 5" or around your neck. Maybe they would get the idea. Nah. They're so wrapped up in their problems they don't care how you feel.

You could always try, "I don't want to hear about it."

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #325
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
4 hours and I'm still waiting to make an appointment to renew my license. My Insurance company just notified me that if I don't renew by the 11th of this month I won't be covered anymore. I revert back to a newbie driver. I will have to pay double to be reinstated.

It takes 6 weeks to receive the new license and they wait until the lat minute to tell me.

I don't think I want one now. I'll walk!

Munky.
Well, you made me look at my license...I have until October of 2015...
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #326
Traveling Welcome Wagon

This isn't an angry vent, more of a concerned one. He's ok, but James fell at school last night or this morning. He has been getting up too fast and getting dizzy. I keep telling him he needs to get up more slowly (a few of our medicines will do that to us), but he keeps doing that lately. He didn't make it all the way to standing, but fell on his knees. He said his knees don't hurt but he twisted his back pretty bad (trying to catch himself) and has some bad muscle aches. The nurse at school put a heat patch on it after class today. Maybe NOW he will listen when I tell him not to get up so fast.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #327
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
This isn't an angry vent, more of a concerned one. He's ok, but James fell at school last night or this morning. He has been getting up too fast and getting dizzy. I keep telling him he needs to get up more slowly (a few of our medicines will do that to us), but he keeps doing that lately. He didn't make it all the way to standing, but fell on his knees. He said his knees don't hurt but he twisted his back pretty bad (trying to catch himself) and has some bad muscle aches. The nurse at school put a heat patch on it after class today. Maybe NOW he will listen when I tell him not to get up so fast.
Ouch! I hate catching myself and knowing if I had just let myself fall, I might not hurt so much. Luckily for me () my knees won't let me stand up fast.

Stop standing up so fast James!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #328
Chef Extraordinaire

barbara, please get james to a doctor. this is how my leg problems began. especially if he is taking a cholesterol drug. it is really a good idea. if this is the problem, it will only get worse.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #329
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Funny, for the past year, no mice. No pet food (no pets), no mice.

?
A few years ago, my wife and I went away for a couple of weeks in the winter. We left our dog with her parents while we were gone. A day or two after we returned I turned the propane range on to bake something and within a few minutes, the kitchen was full of smoke and there were flames shooting out of our oven. It was coming from under the floor plate of the oven where the burners are. Once I got the plate off and distinguished the flames, we noticed that it was dog kibble. While we were gone, we had dropped the house temp very low and I guess the mice moved in. They stored the kibble, which was in the corner of the summer kitchen, in under the range where the pilot light was.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #330
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
A few years ago, my wife and I went away for a couple of weeks in the winter. We left our dog with her parents while we were gone. A day or two after we returned I turned the propane range on to bake something and within a few minutes, the kitchen was full of smoke and there were flames shooting out of our oven. It was coming from under the floor plate of the oven where the burners are. Once I got the plate off and distinguished the flames, we noticed that it was dog kibble. While we were gone, we had dropped the house temp very low and I guess the mice moved in. They stored the kibble, which was in the corner of the summer kitchen, in under the range where the pilot light was.
You were feeding them and heating their new home.