"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #3361
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
I was taught to double space too. When I hit the space bar twice, I get a double space, not a space and a period. This goes for my iThings, laptop, and PC.
There is a setting that allows you to turn the auto period on or off. They call it "." on the iPhone.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #3362
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
There is a setting that allows you to turn the auto period on or off. They call it "." on the iPhone.
Not that I'm anal or anything but after the iPhone changes your double space into a period and a space, can you go back and add a second space?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #3363
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Now that we have keyboards and not typewriters, yes you do. Sorry about that. It made me a bit mental too til I got the hang of it.

Mrs. McKillip will be spinning in her grave...that was the only thing she was able to teach me in three years.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #3364
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol
We learned to type when that was the style. We also learn to indent each paragraph five spaces. Now it is all block paragraphs with one line spaces between paragraphs. We learned two line spaces. Today there are some schools that no longer teach typing. By the time kids get to the uppper grade they have been using computers for many years and have developed their own style of using the keys. They probably can type faster than the teacher. And the keyboard for the computer is nothing like the typewriter. Some of the keys on the typewriter are not on the computer board. Have you noticed that the cent symbol has been replaced by the caret sign? And there is no backslash on the typewriter. If you were to read a secretary's handbood from yesrteryear, you would not believe the things we were taught that are no longer relevant today. When was the last time you indented the address on an envelope? Or put the postal code after the city and before the state abbreviation? Ex; Boston, 28 MA
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #3365
Chef Extraordinaire

We are having a major problem in the building. The doors are locked and at 10 p.m. if someone rings your buzzer you can answer them, but can't buzz them in. You have to go down to the front door and see who it is before you let them in. We also have a side and a back door. For those two doors, you can't be buzzed in at all. All the doors have a camera and runs 24/7 on everyone who comes and goes. One of the tenants has been propping one of the side doors with a piece of carboard. It keeps the door from locking. They other night my son caught a male trying to get into the building. When Spike left the building, he knocked the carboard out and the door locked.

The majority of the tenants here are females. And every apartment is a drug addicts heaven. When an addict needs a fix, they don't stop to read a prescription bottle for the name and directions. They just see "DRUGS"! We have had a very large turnover this past year of tenants. Most of the new tenants are amle and you can't seem to impress on them the need for security for the rest of us. We are not allowed to have even relatives sleep over without permission. I don't know if your child is a drug addict. And I am certainly not going to take your word that he/she is an upstanding citizen. One tenant has a daughter that is psychotic. Bt to talk to her you would think she is brilliant. She is on the barred list. She can't even visit her mother. Se is a danger to everyone in this building. They will be looking at the tapes over the weekend to see who the culprit is. I have the feeling I already know. One of the newer tenants who thinks he knows everything. And a heavy drinker to boot. His son is homeless and hasn't held a job in more than three years.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #3366
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Not that I'm anal or anything but after the iPhone changes your double space into a period and a space, can you go back and add a second space?
Yes you can!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #3367
Head Chef

Another double-spacer here. Can't seem to change the habit (can't seem to want to, either).

One holdover oldie that I like and still use is shorthand -- I can write security code numbers/pin numbers, etc. in shorthand. Of course, it's not too useful on a computer.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #3368
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

It's the iPhone that does it.
Word does, too, by default
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #3369
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

Huh. I think I must have changed it then.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #3370
Chef Extraordinaire

Having to sign up for an account just to register an electrical product